Author Topic: calls in a high school football game in Ohio  (Read 1669 times)

Offline petetheref

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
calls in a high school football game in Ohio
« on: November 06, 2021, 10:18:02 AM »
I have a question for all of you about 2 plays that happened recently in a high school football game in Ohio.
First one was a coach calling a timeout when he did not have one.... isn't this a penalty?

Second - moments after this call, an opposing player purposely kicked a spotted football as it was in last seconds of game(4th quarter) and other time was trying to get set and spike it..... penalty??

I always thought an "extra" timeout was considered unsportsmanlike....as with the other infraction-- am I not correct?

Thanks

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: calls in a high school football game in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 11:52:30 AM »
You must be confusing situation 1 with basketball. In basketball, an excess timeout is granted, but a technical foul is assessed against the requesting team. In football, requests for an excess timeout are ignored. Remind the coach he has no timeouts. If he doesn't stop then, or if he acts unreasonable, then by all means go to a UNS penalty.

To me, situation 2 (deliberately kicking a spotted ball) is delay of game on B. I would stop the clock until the snap, assess a 5-yard penalty to B, and remind the coach that if this action is repeated, it could be considered an unfair act.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 04:14:36 PM »
One reason that we communicate the number of timeouts amongst the crew each time-out is so we all know how many each team has left.   Officials, particularly the wings, should communicate that number to each head coach after each one.  There is no foul for a coach calling a time-out when his team's have expired and the request should simply be ignored.  If time is stopped by an official, the clock should be restarted as soon as the official's error is discovered.  This is an officiating error, not a foul.

It would be a delay of game foul IF a coach requested  a timeout for the purposes of an coach-official conference to discuss a misapplication of the rules.  If the coach fails to prevail, then it is a DOG foul. 

I would consider kicking the ball unsportsmanlike conduct.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 07:36:18 AM »
Reminding a coach when he has used all his timeouts is our job. If he then tries to call another, it is ignored. If he calls for an ref/coach conference TO ,after his TOs are all used up, and loses the debate he is penalized with DOG. R can then apply 3-4-6  and start clock on RFP.

IMHO, intentionally kicking a dead ball = USC. With 3-4-6, A can start clock on RFP.

Sorry, Petetheref, I didn't realize you were a 'newie' until I posted. Welcome to the forum, we hope you find it both enjoyable and informative!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 08:26:05 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline skip1

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 05:48:45 PM »
Many many years ago I was officiating a youth football game and the runner in the middle of the play tried to get the defense to stop by calling for a time out. Being very new at this I gave them the TO. Placed the the ball at the spot of the TO and counted the down. Coach went nuts.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 04:22:22 PM »
I saw a team from Ohio play on TV today. They scored first  ^good. Going in, they had the same record as their opponents :). Coming out, they didn't  :o.....

PATRIOTS   45
BROWNS   7

^good ^good ^good ^good ^good ^good ^good                                  ^good

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 05:16:50 PM »
  aWaRd
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 04:15:19 PM »

PACKERS - 17
Seahawks - (Each player received a plastic participants award)
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum