Author Topic: From the Mouths of Coaches - 2013 Version  (Read 32171 times)

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
Re: From the Mouths of Coaches - 2013 Version
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 08:32:55 AM »
Last night I had a coach tell me after he was called for a facemask after stopping the offense on a 4th and 5 that all the big penalties were coming from the other side of the field. And the only reason he was throwing them was the LJ didn't want to hear Ritchie over there  b#@#$%^&^$. "griping"  ;D
It made me chuckle a little!

rickref

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 01:29:53 PM »
Recent ball game I had a great hard tackle as the receiver was catching that ball. Not targeting (proven by film). Coach wanted something. He states "They can not hit us until he has made a football move."

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 03:23:14 PM »
Recent ball game I had a great hard tackle as the receiver was catching that ball. Not targeting (proven by film). Coach wanted something. He states "They can not hit us until he has made a football move."
You can tell him "fine... that works both ways."
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
We had a play in which the visiting coach did not agree with a call.  As I was trying to explain to the coach what happened  he wanted to know who made the call.  So I told him the LJ made the call.  Keep in mind that the coach was yelling the whole time and asked, "Can I trade the HL for the LJ, I want him over here."  He wanted a piece of him apparently.  I think the LJ heard everything so there was no need to switch.

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »
Moving the dead ball spot to another spot on the field is not a mechanic, it's called cheating. Any official in my crew caught doing this will not officiate another game.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 11:59:18 AM »
Moving the dead ball spot to another spot on the field is not a mechanic, it's called cheating.
So on a night it's raining hard enough to build an ark and a specific dead ball spot happens to be in a foot of water on a low spot in the field, you're not going to move it?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »
The rule allows you to move the ball to a dry spot at yard line
 where the play ended, it does not allow you to add yardage to a play just because you think it looks pretty on the field. What if it's close to a first down, you going to move it forward a half yard? Call it what you want, moving the ball and giving yardage not earned is not supported by any rule or mechanic. It is against the rules and is wrong

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 02:55:36 PM »
 where the play ended, it does not allow you to add yardage to a play just because you think it looks pretty on the field. What if it's close to a first down, you going to move it forward a half yard? Call it what you want, moving the ball and giving yardage not earned is not supported by any rule or mechanic. It is against the rules and is wrong
Check the CCA manual for the support of the mechanic.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »
The ball isn't moved every play. Only on the start of a new series. This makes the game smoother by allow the crew to know that if the ball reaching a certain tic it is a first down. Watch any game and you will see this down at every level.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2013, 02:29:24 PM »
Not a coach, but I had a good one from a player last night.  The B player felt like he had been held, and got up loudly screaming "CAN I GET A FLAG?  REALLY?  CAN I PLEASE HAVE A FLAG?  THERE'S GOT TO BE A FLAG THERE?  YOU'VE GOTTA THROW A FLAG!"

So I did.  I doubt he wanted to back up 15 yards, though. 

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2013, 02:45:41 PM »
Last night in my freshman game, A scores to make it 41 to 0. Right after A9 entered the endzone, A44 blocks B54 in the back at the B15. My U throws the flag. We asked B whether they want the penalty enforced on the try. The B coaching staff is going crazy. They want the TD called back. I go over to B's head coach to explain the ruling. I say, "Coach, the foul occurred after the TD so the TD counts." Coach says, "Why call it if it occurred after the TD?"  hEaDbAnG I just walked away.

BTW we called it a personal foul late hit not a BIB.

maven

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 06:11:20 PM »
Coach says, "Why call it if it occurred after the TD?"  hEaDbAnG I just walked away.

I think I might have said, "So, you want to decline the penalty?"

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2013, 05:53:25 PM »
:thumbup
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2013, 07:56:19 AM »
The ball isn't moved every play. Only on the start of a new series. This makes the game smoother by allow the crew to know that if the ball reaching a certain tic it is a first down. Watch any game and you will see this down at every level.

This is a fairly standard mechanic and I am surprised that some officials are opposed to it - and I think that is due to a misinterpretation. As Mike says the ball is only moved to the nearest yard line on a new series of downs. That includes a 1st down after a punt/free kick and may be moved forward or backwards depending which is closer. This allows the chains to be set accurately on a yard line rather than some estimate of the LOS from 66' away and is a lot easier to determine if a 1st down is made from looking at the yard line rather than wasting time on a measurement.
I do the same thing on a change of possession.

Its not cheating, its common sense.
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• Gridironwest
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2013, 07:58:38 AM »
Not a coach, but I had a good one from a player last night.  The B player felt like he had been held, and got up loudly screaming "CAN I GET A FLAG?  REALLY?  CAN I PLEASE HAVE A FLAG?  THERE'S GOT TO BE A FLAG THERE?  YOU'VE GOTTA THROW A FLAG!"

So I did.  I doubt he wanted to back up 15 yards, though. 

I don't think he liked the irony somehow.
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• Gridironwest
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2013, 08:01:11 AM »
Last night in my freshman game, A scores to make it 41 to 0. Right after A9 entered the endzone, A44 blocks B54 in the back at the B15. My U throws the flag. We asked B whether they want the penalty enforced on the try. The B coaching staff is going crazy. They want the TD called back. I go over to B's head coach to explain the ruling. I say, "Coach, the foul occurred after the TD so the TD counts." Coach says, "Why call it if it occurred after the TD?"  hEaDbAnG I just walked away.

BTW we called it a personal foul late hit not a BIB.

Shouldn't that have been a USC ?

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »
Shouldn't that have been a USC ?
In NFHS USC is for non contact fouls only.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
Re: Re: From the Mouths of Coaches - 2013 Version
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2013, 11:49:29 PM »
This is a fairly standard mechanic and I am surprised that some officials are opposed to it - and I think that is due to a misinterpretation. As Mike says the ball is only moved to the nearest yard line on a new series of downs. That includes a 1st down after a punt/free kick and may be moved forward or backwards depending which is closer. This allows the chains to be set accurately on a yard line rather than some estimate of the LOS from 66' away and is a lot easier to determine if a 1st down is made from looking at the yard line rather than wasting time on a measurement.
I do the same thing on a change of possession.

Its not cheating, its common sense.
Even easier if your wings make sure all the first down spots are on a line. Then you aren't moving anything anywhere. Your wings are as important on this as anyone on this mechanic.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2013, 09:30:18 AM »
Moving the dead ball spot to another spot on the field is not a mechanic, it's called cheating. Any official in my crew caught doing this will not officiate another game.

WOW :!#

Dear "sir"...time to get into the 21st century!

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2013, 02:15:57 PM »
In the first half last night coach argue there should have been OPI on a touch down catch. Both the B and H had great looks and position and had nothing.

Late in second half, coach told H " if you had called that (OPI), they would not have scored 60 points against us".   hEaDbAnG
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2013, 06:11:35 PM »
I hate when I can't think that fast.

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »

Late in second half, coach told H " if you had called that (OPI), they would not have scored 60 points against us".   hEaDbAnG
It was that one TD that broke the game wide open. yEs:

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2013, 06:45:55 PM »
It was that one TD that broke the game wide open. yEs:

Yeah made it 46-0 at that point!!!!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 09:38:58 AM »
In the first half last night coach argue there should have been OPI on a touch down catch. Both the B and H had great looks and position and had nothing.

He's right.  They would have only scored 53.

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2014, 07:13:28 PM »
He's no longer the coach at that school!