Author Topic: From the Coaches - 2012 Version  (Read 29117 times)

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
Re: From the Coaches - 2012 Version
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 01:47:50 AM »
Oh, and the same team also ran a gaurderooski.

Is it legal in Canada?

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 07:17:15 AM »
Is it legal in Canada?

Yes, with certain provisions and restrictions. They ran the thing legally, but ...

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 12:53:57 PM »
Called a block in the back last night after an interception where it wasn't even close to a legal block.  After telling me how horrible my call was, and that his team made a good play and I'm taking it away from them (even though they kept the ball), he finished up with "and it's not his fault that he's stronger than they are!"   ::)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »
Wasn't a coach, but I had the easiest USC flag of my 11 year career last night.  One of the other fellows on the crew flagged a player last night for a DB PF.  As we were enforcing that, his teammate told his teammates "That's all right.  The refs are going to do what they're going to do - cheat us."   ^flag

maven

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 12:12:58 PM »
Wasn't a coach, but I had the easiest USC flag of my 11 year career last night.  One of the other fellows on the crew flagged a player last night for a DB PF.  As we were enforcing that, his teammate told his teammates "That's all right.  The refs are going to do what they're going to do - cheat us."   ^flag

That IS easy! I might have thrown my flag and then told the kid, "Now go over to your coach and explain why you've added an additional 15 yards."

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 11:00:54 PM »
I've read similar stories more than once on here but...

NFHS rules: 4th & forever, Team A runner taken down via facemask.  Jog team A forward another 15 yards, still short.  Now 4th and 8.  Coach screaming for automatic 1st down because he "Played college football and knows the rules"

AFSST

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 10:16:22 AM »
Yesterday in. JV game visiting team scores with 1:15 left in the game to get within 6 points. We discuss onside kick and set up for it. Sure enough they do onside and the home team dives on the ball at the K49.  Visiting coach is screaming that they cannot touch the ball until it goes 10 yards. I told him they could and he just stared at me as I walked away.

So I'm hoping you gave the ball to R on the 49?

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 11:26:15 PM »
It sounds like R recovered so I also(really really) hope they gave R the ball.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 08:29:42 AM »
While I was working Referee last night in a JV game, I had an assistant scream at me to the middle of the field like a petulant child after he thought we missed an illegal snap on a swinging gate (we didn't) and he didn't like my explanation.

"WHY CAN'T YOU JUST ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG?!"

Evidently he hasn't met my wife.

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 11:18:24 AM »
While I was working Referee last night in a JV game, I had an assistant scream at me to the middle of the field like a petulant child after he thought we missed an illegal snap on a swinging gate (we didn't) and he didn't like my explanation.

"WHY CAN'T YOU JUST ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG?!"

Evidently he hasn't met my wife.

At that point, I'd throw a flag then ask him what the yardage is for an USC.

Offline kid50

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
    • Abilene TASO
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 11:35:58 AM »
At the start of a JV game with home team running only the second play from scrimmage, I have a solid hold on an interior lineman during a pass play.  With my flag down, I tell home coach his offensive guard tackled the defender advancing toward the quarterback.  The coach yells back at me, "Call it both ways!"  I respond, "Coach, you haven't been on defense yet..."  Silence.   :-X

It seems he got his complaint list out of order as he clearly meant to hold onto that one until at least the second quarter....

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 07:50:27 AM »
At that point, I'd throw a flag then ask him what the yardage is for an USC.

Let's just say the other team kicked off 15 yards closer to the other team's goal line.  :)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
Highest level classification of Texas HS football varsity game Fri. night and 1 assistant coach on Visitors goes nuts every time the home team runs a "bunch formation".  They have 4 receivers in a bunch spread out wide to 1 side.  1 is on the line and 3 are off the line.  He kept yelling "the receiver is covered up, he's covered up" as the home routinely passed out of the formation.  Eventually the H asked him what the heck he was talking about. Coach says "1 or more of the receivers are covered up every time"  H: "What do you mean coach, only 1 guy is on the line?"  Coach:  "I know but the 3 behind him are lined up next to one another so obviously 2 of them are covered up"   H: "Uhhh...coach, they are backs , they CAN be covered up"

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »
One of our rookie officials was working his first ever game early in the season.  He throws his first career flag for which the coach did not agree.  Coach yells towards the official, "This isn't your first rodeo, why would you make a call like that."  Official didn't tell the coach that it was his first.   :thumbup

rickref

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
Assistant at a game gets all his stuff in a wad. I blow a play ready and he within a breath yells at me "This must be a delay of game just how long do they get?" I responded with 25 seconds from the time I blow it ready which was just now. Did you not know that?

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 12:59:34 AM »
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

rickref

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 11:19:06 AM »
HC "The player throwing the ball at my guy committed a punch. That is an extension of a punch and should be an ejection!" Seriously heard this about another game.

maven

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »
HC "The player throwing the ball at my guy committed a punch. That is an extension of a punch and should be an ejection!" Seriously heard this about another game.

"So, coach, when you're waving to me, are you giving me an extension of the finger?"

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 12:11:42 PM »
"So, coach, when you're waving to me, are you giving me an extension of the finger?"
pHiNzuP
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 09:36:05 PM »
So I'm hoping you gave the ball to R on the 49?

Yes R got the ball on the 49 and ran the clock out. Sorry for the delay in the responding.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:47:22 PM by Tom.OH »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2012, 02:00:33 PM »
From over my shoulder "84" Flanker right beside me. I look inside .... Defensive End is #84. Just before the snap the Flanker goes in motion ... at the snap the Offensive tackle hits the Defensive End turns him, then slides off and heads for the Linebacker .... My Flanker plows right into the DE's back .... Flag. Run to my side results in a loss of five yards at my feet and an injured Running Back. Head Coach walks up and asks "Why was that a flag?" "Poor Coaching" "What?" I explain what I saw, then said "watch the film you'll see it just as I described." "Well how is it poor coaching?" "You ride this kid in each practice, get in his head that he must make that block no matter what." "Yeah that's how we teach them." "Do you know what a pick is in basketball?" "Yeah" The Flacker can run up and seeing the numbers on the back, just stop short of the block and simply stand there, the DE will turn into him and all you need is a simple delay so that the DE cannot get an angle on the running back. So no block in the back.  As I said, poor coaching."  Coach thanks me and then proceeds to chew out the Assistant Coach for teaching the running back to play illegally. "Ya know what we call that ? Poor Coaching ! Ain't that right Ref?" 

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 03:07:29 AM »
I'm glad that worked out OK for you - A lot of coaches would not have responded well to a statement like that! They would have blown up and not listened to your explanation.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2012, 05:58:49 PM »
College game and LB complains about a chop block. I told him I didn't see anything but would look for it. Later in the game I see him cut by an o-lineman (legal).  After the play he complains about a chop block again. I told him it was only a low block and there was no high block. He looked at me confused so I said a chop block is a high-low combination.

His response: "Yeah, I was high and he hit me low."

One of his teammates turned around and called him an idiot and explained what a chop block is.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2012, 06:58:13 AM »
" "Poor Coaching" "What?" I explain what I saw, then said "watch the film you'll see it just as I described

You play with dynamite much?

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »
From over my shoulder "84" Flanker right beside me. I look inside .... Defensive End is #84. Just before the snap the Flanker goes in motion ... at the snap the Offensive tackle hits the Defensive End turns him, then slides off and heads for the Linebacker .... My Flanker plows right into the DE's back .... Flag. Run to my side results in a loss of five yards at my feet and an injured Running Back. Head Coach walks up and asks "Why was that a flag?" "Poor Coaching" "What?" I explain what I saw, then said "watch the film you'll see it just as I described." "Well how is it poor coaching?" "You ride this kid in each practice, get in his head that he must make that block no matter what." "Yeah that's how we teach them." "Do you know what a pick is in basketball?" "Yeah" The Flacker can run up and seeing the numbers on the back, just stop short of the block and simply stand there, the DE will turn into him and all you need is a simple delay so that the DE cannot get an angle on the running back. So no block in the back.  As I said, poor coaching."  Coach thanks me and then proceeds to chew out the Assistant Coach for teaching the running back to play illegally. "Ya know what we call that ? Poor Coaching ! Ain't that right Ref?" 

9/10 times what you did would not turn out positively.  Don't tell the coaches how to do their job if you don't want them telling you how to do yours.