Other Sports > Basketball

Lane Violation

(1/2) > >>

TampaSteve:
I know basic BB rules, but no expert whatsoever.
At a MS game (which is the first issue here). Official calls 3 second lane violation - yet the ball was loose, A & B were scrambling for a loose ball, A comes up with it and tweet, 3-second lane violation????
In my small mind: if A is not in possession how can they possibly be held accountable to the 3 second lane rule??
What am I missing?

Grant - AR:

--- Quote from: TampaSteve on December 06, 2022, 01:41:53 PM ---I know basic BB rules, but no expert whatsoever.
At a MS game (which is the first issue here). Official calls 3 second lane violation - yet the ball was loose, A & B were scrambling for a loose ball, A comes up with it and tweet, 3-second lane violation????
In my small mind: if A is not in possession how can they possibly be held accountable to the 3 second lane rule??
What am I missing?

--- End quote ---

I'm not a basketball official, have never been a basketball official, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but is there a basketball rule that say the team in possession is still in possession until the opponent gains possession?  For instance, Team A had the ball and it became loose.  Is Team A still in team possession until either Team B gains possession or it goes out of bounds (or maybe something else I'm not thinking of)?  I'd like to know the rule on that one too. 

ilyazhito:
In HS basketball, there are two different types of possession: player control and team control. Player and team control both begin when a player possesses the ball on the court. When a player loses possession, team control remains with the team that last had player control (unless that team attempted a try or tap for goal (a shot)), until a player of the opposing team controls the ball.

The 3-second rule states that "A player shall not remain for three seconds in that part of his/her free throw lane between the endline and the farther edge of the free-throw line while the ball is in control of his/her team in his/her frontcourt". Because A still had team control during the scramble, they are still liable for a 3-second violation.

TampaSteve:
THX fellas.
must say i'm a tad surprised that A still must adhere to 3 seconds when it's a scramble on the floor and unclear what advantage is gained in that loose ball situation...nevertheless...

To ilyazhito.
So we have the letter of the rule....and we definitely had a 3 second lane violation per the letter of the rule...BUT in reality ("the way it's called") was that perhaps an overzealous call by an inexperienced MS official? - or quite common to see the same call at HS varsity level called in that situation?

ilyazhito:
I haven't had that play happen to me yet. That said, if the player is leaving the lane, I would not call that. If the player stayed in the lane, with no awareness of the situation, or, worse, is in position to catch a pass after staying in the lane, I will call it. If I see a player standing in the lane, I usually say "lane" as a reminder. If I have to say it twice, and the player does not leave, I then call it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version