Author Topic: Justin Springer, Vice President of TASO Football/Houston Chapter  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
Justin Springer, Vice President of TASO Football/Houston Chapter
« on: September 26, 2011, 11:11:46 PM »
 ^flag

I regret to inform all TASO Football members that Justin Springer, Vice-President of the Houston TASO Football Chapter, passed away earlier this afternoon. Funeral plans will be announced by his family later.

Please remember to keep Justin and his family in your prayers. The Houston Chapter has lost one fine leader. Justin will be more than missed!   z^

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
Re: Justin Springer, Vice President of TASO Football/Houston Chapter
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:24:42 PM »
I saw the email earlier. We lost a good man but God gained a faithful servant. Still we are left to grieve for our fallen brother.

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:02:32 AM »
My umpire, Justin and I all refereed our first high school football game ever together 12 years ago.  We were all rookies and it was Clear Lake vs Katy Taylor JV.  We were really sweating it out about who would blow the game when a 5 year veteran showed up about 5 minutes before kickoff to yell at us about why we have not done the coin toss yet  ;D

About 4 years ago my U, another R, Justin, and I were calling one of those JV/Varsity games (new school without a senior class).  The home team was winning by about 40 points when the winning home coach started yelling and calling us homers (for the other team about 60 miles away).  What makes it even crazier is half of the coaching staff for the home team taught with Justin 2 years before, but that did not keep them from calling us homers (for the other team about 60 miles away).  Justin went over to the sideline in his best Baptist preacher tone (Justin is about 6'4" 320) and informed his former teaching colleagues that every member of the crew that night was from this town and they looked really bad calling us homers.

Justin has 2 sons both in college that are outstanding students.  My wife is in charge of academic scholarships at U of H and one of his sons went there on a full academic scholarship.  In the past 13 years my wife has given out close to 100 million dollars in academic scholarships to students.  She has only received 1 thank you letter from any of the parents of the hundreds of kids she has helped and it came from Justin.

Thanks for reading this it helps the grieving process to write out thoughts during times like this.  When "Team Heaven" puts the recruit on you it is hard to turn them down, and team heaven recruited themselves a good one in this situation.

Coby Rhoden
Houston Taso Referee

Grant - AR

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 09:42:07 AM »
My umpire, Justin and I all refereed our first high school football game ever together 12 years ago.  We were all rookies and it was Clear Lake vs Katy Taylor JV.  We were really sweating it out about who would blow the game when a 5 year veteran showed up about 5 minutes before kickoff to yell at us about why we have not done the coin toss yet  ;D

About 4 years ago my U, another R, Justin, and I were calling one of those JV/Varsity games (new school without a senior class).  The home team was winning by about 40 points when the winning home coach started yelling and calling us homers (for the other team about 60 miles away).  What makes it even crazier is half of the coaching staff for the home team taught with Justin 2 years before, but that did not keep them from calling us homers (for the other team about 60 miles away).  Justin went over to the sideline in his best Baptist preacher tone (Justin is about 6'4" 320) and informed his former teaching colleagues that every member of the crew that night was from this town and they looked really bad calling us homers.

Justin has 2 sons both in college that are outstanding students.  My wife is in charge of academic scholarships at U of H and one of his sons went there on a full academic scholarship.  In the past 13 years my wife has given out close to 100 million dollars in academic scholarships to students.  She has only received 1 thank you letter from any of the parents of the hundreds of kids she has helped and it came from Justin.

Thanks for reading this it helps the grieving process to write out thoughts during times like this.  When "Team Heaven" puts the recruit on you it is hard to turn them down, and team heaven recruited themselves a good one in this situation.

Coby Rhoden
Houston Taso Referee

Cody,

Thanks for the story and good thoughts.  :thumbup

Grant

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:42:36 AM »
 ^flag

Per the Houston Chronicle, arrangements have been made for Justin Springer's funeral under the direction of South Park Funeral Home, 1310 North Main Street, Pearland, Texas 77581. For directions and a map, please visit www.southparkfunerals.com.

Visitation with family and friends will be on Thursday evening, September 29th from 5-8PM at the funeral home. Funeral Services will be held on Friday afternoon, September 30th at 3PM. Graveside Service will follow at the South Park Cemetery adjoining the funeral home.

Donations may be made to: Westside Church of Christ, 6203 West Broadway, Pearland Texas 77581, or Church of Christ Nigeria, P. O. Box 8792, The Woodlands, Texas 77387.

Tommy Moore, Executive Secretary of the Houston Football Chapter of TASO has suggested that all Varsity crews working this weekend, duly observe a moment of silence prior to breaking to their respective positions on the field for the kickoff.

In addition, when arriving at the game sites this weekend, crew chiefs are requested, if at all possible, to have the PA Announcer read the following statement prior to the kickoff:

" On Monday, the Houston Football Chapter of the Texas Association of Sports Officials, lost one their own, Justin Springer: Houston Chapter Vice President, Educator, Missionary, and Family Man, succumbed to cancer after a short illness. The Greater Houston Football Coaches Association honored Justin this past year with it's Distinguished Service Award for his contributions and service to the game of football and to the community. During his tenure on the Board of Directors, Justin trained over 600 new high school football officials. He dedicated his life to his wife Karen and to their children, not to even mention the thousands of students that he instructed as a teacher at Pearland High School as he was an avid inspirational leader to all that he encountered. Tonight, all of the members of the Houston Football Officials Chapter of TASO work with a heavy heart and humbly ask that you join them in a moment of silence for their fallen friend and mentor, Justin Springer."    z^
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:14:15 AM by arbitrator »

Offline Welpe

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 09:53:12 AM »
Unfortunately I have a game at 5 on Friday so I cannot make the service but I will continue to lift his family up in prayer and will keep him in my thoughts during my games.

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
I just came back into the Houston Chapter.

While I didn't know Justin personally, the news of his passing saddens me.

Officiating is just like firefighting (15 years, all as a volunteer for me), we are a family united in one common bond, no matter if you call pee-wee or officiating in the NFL.

We lost one of our own, even though we all have heavy hearts, I am sure Justin would want us to go out and participate in the avocation we all love.

That is all I can put into words.

May Justin rest in peace.

Respectfully Submitted
Morgan Davies
Football Official
TASO Houston Chapter

Offline Welpe

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
As we take the field tonight with a heavy heart, I know Justin will be with us.  For those of you that say a prayer before your games, please include Justin and his fellow Houston officials in your prayer tonight.