Author Topic: Unique Formations  (Read 1801 times)

Offline mostripes

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Unique Formations
« on: November 09, 2016, 08:56:56 AM »
I'll start by adding the disclaimer that this involves a little league situation and one in which the coach referenced all kinds of "Youtube videos and plays that Michigan has run".. so I realize we are talking about things that have no bearing, but a discussion amongst crewmates has broken out as to how this would relate to a high school game and the NFHS rules.

Coach approaches us before the game and states that he has a great trick play where the end is the snapper and then goes out for a pass.  This league doesn't follow the numbering rules, so in terms of little league, questions related to formations, having 5 guys numbered 50-79,etc.. fall out and cause other rules that rely on this items to become irrelevant.   however...as it would pertain to a high school game (and sorry because I'm sure it's already been beaten to death in another topic)..

If A lines up with 88  79  69  50  68 72   30   on the line of scrimmage, but 30 lines up as the snapper.  Would there be any rules that prohibit 30 from being an eligible receiver?

The formation in and of itself is legal as there are 7 on the line and there are 5 numbered 50-79.
They do not set or shift into a scrimmage kick formation, so the numbering exceptions (and thus restrictions of where the snapper must be and stated ineligibility do not seem to apply).

Is there something I am overlooking?
It sounds a kin to the offense that shall not be named, but there wasn't something I could hand to the coach on the spot saying not legal.   

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Unique Formations
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 09:17:10 AM »
Even though he is the snapper, 30 is eligible. Don't overthink it.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi