Author Topic: Injury Timeouts & Player Interaction with Coaches  (Read 5433 times)

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Injury Timeouts & Player Interaction with Coaches
« on: September 16, 2017, 10:06:35 PM »
This is something I see inconsistently handled in all levels of play from 7th grade thru Varsity.

The question is related to when a team has an injured player and the officials declare timeout for the injury.

I know we do not allow coaches to come out onto the field for the purpose of coaching the players. However, do we allow players to go over near the sideline and receive instruction from the coaches?  I have not found anything in rules/mechanics to restrict them from doing this (unless I missed it). Teams are still required to comply with the play clock once the referee gives the ready-for-play signal.  Seems like we should have a uniform approach to this throughout Texas for this scenario.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Injury Timeouts & Player Interaction with Coaches
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 11:07:39 PM »
This is something I see inconsistently handled in all levels of play from 7th grade thru Varsity.

The question is related to when a team has an injured player and the officials declare timeout for the injury.

I know we do not allow coaches to come out onto the field for the purpose of coaching the players. However, do we allow players to go over near the sideline and receive instruction from the coaches?  I have not found anything in rules/mechanics to restrict them from doing this (unless I missed it). Teams are still required to comply with the play clock once the referee gives the ready-for-play signal.  Seems like we should have a uniform approach to this throughout Texas for this scenario.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

You are absolutely correct in everything you said.  Don't know where anybody got the idea that there is any restriction on players going to their sideline during injury T/O.  As you state, they simply have to be ready to play when the R declares the ball ready.
Also, during ANY timeout,  allowing coaches or attendants to come on the field is WITH OUR PERMISSION.  We almost never deny permission for attendants; similarly, they simply have to be ready to clear the field when the R so orders.  We allow coaches on the field during charged timeouts, but not during injury timeouts, except to attend to the injured player(s).
On charged Team timeouts, we are way too lax on allowing the teams and coaches to gather between the numbers and the hash marks. We REALLY, REALLY, need to keep the entire group outside the bottom of the numbers.  They coaches/subs are there WITH OUR PERMISSION - it is not a 'right.'  Let's get 'em outside the numbers.

Robert

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 06:59:54 PM »
You are so correct Robert. After 37 years I still have officials and coaches call out that players can't leave the field and even worse yet, complain when the teams don't take a knee. Wasn't that long ago (depending on your point of view) water was not even allowed on the field during injury TO.
Nothing in print about it, "if it aint written down, it aint no rule" applies here. TASO needs to set everyone straight on how they wish to handle it and everyone comply.

Offline TXNCAARef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Don't go hunting alligators!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 10:27:15 AM »
Yes Copedaddy, I have won many chicken dinner bets on this topic.  Don't know where it ever started.

Offline Redriverref

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
The old-timers who taught me always insisted on this procedure because they stated it induced the teams to linger around the sidelines therefore possibly gaining a free time-out. However we began years ago to just simply enforce the ready for play and play clock procedure and this practice ceased.

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 12:12:23 PM »
Well stated...the uniformity is that there aren't any restrictions other than coaches can't come out and coach in the huddle.  The rules don't say that you can't run a reverse pass...so you can do it!  Why make it hard?  We are there to make it fair and safe...not stick our noses where they don't belong.

You are so correct Robert. After 37 years I still have officials and coaches call out that players can't leave the field and even worse yet, complain when the teams don't take a knee. Wasn't that long ago (depending on your point of view) water was not even allowed on the field during injury TO.
Nothing in print about it, "if it aint written down, it aint no rule" applies here. TASO needs to set everyone straight on how they wish to handle it and everyone comply.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 02:40:29 PM »
Unless my memory has failed me there are no restrictions on where a team may huddle.  It doesn't matter if they huddle during an injury near the sideline either.  We allow it after any other play so no issue with it during an injury.  The bottom line is that once the injured player is off the field we are not going to wait on that team to get ready.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 04:12:48 PM »
Unless my memory has failed me there are no restrictions on where a team may huddle.  It doesn't matter if they huddle during an injury near the sideline either.  We allow it after any other play so no issue with it during an injury.  The bottom line is that once the injured player is off the field we are not going to wait on that team to get ready.

JasonTx, we are probably on the same page, but for the sake of the masses, I would like to expound a bit.

You are correct in that there are no restrictions on where a team may "huddle" - "huddle" as defined in Rule 2. 

However, rule 9-1-b-1 and 9-1-b-3 prohibits coaches, squad members, trainers, equipment managers, school administrators - anybody except "players," "substitutes," and "replaced payers" as defined in Rule 2 from being on the field of play, or outside the team area without our permission.  Period.  Even during a dead ball period or a time out of any kind.  Even attendants seeking to aid an injured player are supposed to get "recognized" by us before entering the field of play, or leaving the team area.  Other than players, subs, and replaced players, Team personnel do not have a "right" to be on the field at any time.  Period.

Now, having said that, convention has been for us to allow such persons onto the field of play during a time out (charged, injury, etc.) to varying degrees.  If it is a charged time out, we let as many folks on the field as they desire (within reason), but we should keep them reasonably close to their side line, i.e., outside the numbers.  We really should not allow them to gather at the hash mark, etc., and I see way too many folks that allow that.  "Why?" you ask?  Just for the sake of overall game management.  Allowing them to get inside the numbers can place the teams dangerously close to each other, encouraging taunting, etc.  Also, it just adds to the amount of time it takes to get them off the field and back into their team areas following the TO.
If it is an injury TO, we should allow as many folks as needed to attend to the injured player (including a HC, even if he has nothing to offer towards tending to the injury), but that's all.  Sure, we'll allow the coaches to step onto the field a step or two (at most) to talk to other players that come over to the sideline (as many as they want) to get instructions, but we should keep them very near the sideline, and discourage squad members from coming onto the field to get into this cluster.  Sure, let them send the water-girls out to the team.  They just need to be ready to clear the field immediately when notified by us.

Other TOs, such as for measurements, penalty administration, etc., should be like play is continuing - everybody stays off the field.

But the key element here is that they are not permitted to be on the field without our permission.  Even during a charged time out.  Yes, we generously permit them to be on the field, but it is with our permission, which can be denied, if conditions suggest that permission be denied, like bad blood between the teams, and we need to keep them as far apart as possible.  Or they have abused the privilege to the point they just need to stay off the field, etc.  Those conditions are very, very rare.  But, the rule is there for us to use, if needed.

To repeat, the Teams do not have a right to come onto the field of play during a TO.  It is a privilege granted by the officials.

Next time you go to an FBS game, watch how this is managed by the crew.  Each team gathering has an official nearby, keeping them outside the numbers, and hustling them back onto the field when the TO period has nearly expired.  That's how it should be done at all levels.

Robert

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 08:09:08 PM »
JasonTx, we are probably on the same page, but for the sake of the masses, I would like to expound a bit.

Robert

I agree.  I should have been more specific.   With coaches off the field in some instances or maybe a step on the field, I have seen crews tell the teams they couldn't be over there since it was an injury timeout. 

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »
I agree.  I should have been more specific.   With coaches off the field in some instances or maybe a step on the field, I have seen crews tell the teams they couldn't be over there since it was an injury timeout.

Yes, and that is simply incorrect.  Let’s keep spreading the word.

Robert

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
Injury Timeouts & Player Interaction with Coaches
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »
TASO needs to set everyone straight on how they wish to handle it and everyone comply.
As widespread as this misconception is, I think that would be a great idea. It should be done prior to the 2018 season via email and covered in the mandatory information at all clinics and district meetings.

Offline HoustonUmp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »
In my pregame meeting with the coaches I tell them that, during an injury, if they want to coach their players they need to bring them at least to the numbers. This lets them know that we have no problem with them coaching their kids but do have expectations as to where this should occur.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 12:28:52 PM »
The team can head to the sideline during an injury.  There’s no restriction against that.  Coaches can come onto the field with permission but only to attend to an injured player.  If coaches start talking (coaching), a firm reminder is in order.  If they start complaining to the officials, an extremely firm warning needs to be given to that coach.