Author Topic: UIL or TASO  (Read 223902 times)

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
UIL or TASO
« on: November 24, 2009, 07:20:32 PM »
??

Are there any other options visible at this point in time?

IllegalShift

Re: UIL or TASO
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:05:34 PM »
I'm not sure "strike" is appropriate.  I plan to stay with TASO and work games as usual.  The uil cannot keep me from working games, they may attempt to prohibit the schools from hiring me, and may be successful, maybe not.  If they are, I will be happy to works TAPPS high school games and my college schedule.

If they are successful in keeping the schools from hiring me and others, I am not sure there will be enough uil registered officials to cover all the varsity and sub-varsity games.  I don’t call this a “strike”.  Timmons said if necessary he will get 2 basketball and three volleyball officials to work the games.  It’s a shame the kids will pay for the sins of the uil.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 05:08:02 AM »
My gut feeling is there are enough basketball, volleyball, softball, baseball, etc folks that they could get enough warm bodies to fill the needed slots.  Many of those "lesser" sports officials have probably secretly longed for the "Friday night lights" but did not want to go through the 3 - 5 year period it might take in some  Chapters to get on the varsity field.  With the "thinning of the herd" that seems about to happen, that waiting period may be reduced to 0.  Those 1A-3A schools who thought they were gettong less than the cream before are in for some "fun" times.

Offline fencewire

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 05:55:04 AM »
Have they even gotten ultimate approval for this yet?  I know it was expected to be rubber stamped but has that even occured?  I am of the same thinking as Mike, they will find some warm bodies and in those areas where roundball is already UIL, there is their primary focus.  If the change goes through if I understand it, if you aren't "registered" with them, then 1204 would exclude you from doing any varsity UIL game.

rickref

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 07:28:56 AM »
When is the Commisioner of Education supposed to approve or disapprove these changes? Anyone know when D day is?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 08:20:51 AM »
A thought occurred to me in reading some of this...

Have any of the college supervisors chimed in to their folks about this matter? I know that several of them have been very loyal to TASO over the years. Several of these supervisors have been very active in TASO.

Will they let their guys assist in training of UIL officials?

Will they support UIL as they have TASO?

Will some of the DII & DIII superviosrs even let their officials work for them if they work UIL games?

Just a random thought!!

" I don't make the rules coach!"

504coach

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 08:59:12 AM »
I would not use the word strike either.  We are being locked out.  I still plan on calling TAPPS and sub varsity as needed.  Things should work out once the Texas High School Football Coaches Association gets into the offseason.  I am sure that between a basketball guy running everything, and being forced to use a pre-determined site for state championships, and our issues they could put pressure on the drivers ed instructor that we could never imagine.  As set in our ways as we are it is nothing to how good ole boy and set the THFCA is.

Elvis (NCAA)

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 10:30:50 AM »
((()))
It would be neither a strike nor a lockout, since this is not a union / management thing. It is a supply & demand thing. As independent contractors, we have the right to accept or decline assignments. TASO folks should simply decline to join the UIL; decline to accept assignments from the UIL; and decline to work with anyone that does join the UIL. When the supply of capable officials doesn't meet the demand, the UIL will have to re-open a good-faith, two-way dialog with TASO, at which point progress can be made.

rickref

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 11:39:46 AM »
Doc I thought that was teh legislative council meeting.

Offline fencewire

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 11:42:04 AM »
Thanks TexDoc.

So maybe strike isn't the most appropriate term.  

As an independant contractor, you definitely have the right to join whatever group you wish, but you decline to register with UIL, then as it stands currently, you won't be calling any varsity UIL games next year.

That is fine if you feel like that the majority of your career is behind you, but I think if you asked the folks that were just getting into it, or maybe they have been in 5-10 years, I would guess a large majority of those folks aren't ready to hang up the stripes yet.  Also, as Mike alluded to, I think that in places where UIL already has a basketball chapter, that will be their primary recruting base should there be a lack of supply in a given area.  

Fortunately, maybe, we will have the position where we can watch this unfold with Baseball and see how that shakes out prior to us being put in the position to do anything, I believe.

This pretty much sucks no matter how you slice it.

Elvis (NCAA)

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 01:07:45 PM »
Thanks TexDoc.

So maybe strike isn't the most appropriate term.  

As an independant contractor, you definitely have the right to join whatever group you wish, but you decline to register with UIL, then as it stands currently, you won't be calling any varsity UIL games next year.

((()))
You're not getting it.

If the UIL has no pool of folks to draw from next fall, they'll be forced to re-open a dialog with TASO. Then TASO will be able to, at the very least, get things back to the way they were (if not improve the situation). You will be working varsity games, if TASO folks hold their individual grounds. Keep the faith.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 01:37:19 PM »
Perhaps if we hold our ground and only work TAPPS, that would obviously be to TAPPS advantage as they would be gaining a lot of experienced officials.  UIL would be stuck with folks they went out and recruited.  UIL member schools may then choose to join TAPPS so they could get also have experienced officials.  What benefits do the schools actually get from being UIL?

Elvis (NCAA)

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 04:02:53 PM »
((()))
I strongly recommend to all TASO folks that they not work any UIL football until the UIL abandons this takeover effort. By that, I mean don't work varsity or sub-varsity - period. The greater the headache for the UIL, the quicker they'll reach for the TASO aspirin.

texref

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 04:25:03 PM »

Fortunately, maybe, we will have the position where we can watch this unfold with Baseball and see how that shakes out prior to us being put in the position to do anything, I believe.

This pretty much sucks no matter how you slice it.

fencewire.....we are going to be the first to experience this mess. The "mandate" goes into effect beginning with the '10-'11 school year (aka Football season).

Elvis, I am with you 100%. Stand strong and we will all be back working next fall.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving everyone.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 04:35:25 PM »
Maybe dallas and houston can chime in here but I think they have their pickd in the Spring don't they?  So let's say they and a few other chapters do that. They do everything as they always have.  They do not require their members register with UIL.  As the season is about to start in August they tell the schools the crews they selected are not UIL members and they are happy to work the game but UIL might not count the games for the schools.  Let's watch the telephone lines light up then!

What I think will happen though is there will be groups of guys in ea area who will form UIL chapters and then set up their own picks.  They will tout their UIL affiliation and warn the schools re use of nonUIL refs. They may have enough to cover the varsiTy schedules and will not have to prove they can handle subvars until mid-august.  By then they may be able to bring in some more members.

Offline ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »
Call me old fashion, but I'm still concerned for the players and the integrity of the game.  Our high school careers are the some of the greatest memories we share, and last a lifetime.  I would hate to see these young players memories be blemished by something out of their control.  And even worse that I'm a part of it.

Lets all just pray that an agreement can be reached for the sake of these young athletes.

Gary

Offline TXMike

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 04:56:24 PM »
And the UIL cares about them too. They will not let this get to the point of no games. There will be a season.  What is not as clearcut is what the UIL//TASO relationship will be.

Offline drilsgt_98

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 05:47:58 PM »
OK..I will begin these comments by saying that I am a TASO member and prior to that an SFOA member (18 years). At the present time I side with TASO and our arguments regarding this unfortunate situation we find ourselves in. But it does cause me to think a little......

Why did we begin officiating High School football? Many reasons I am sure but high on many lists will be "for the love of the game", "to give back and stay involved in the game" and "for the love of working with young athletes". You don't officiate for money or loyality to anything other than the rules.

The way this whole thing is going down leaves a bad taste in my mouth. By refusing to officiate next season we are harming the game we all love. As I said, at present I am leaning WAY towards not working. I will work a few sub-varsity games, work my college schedule and be happy.

Maybe we need to reflect on why we do this, not who we do it for. Just something to think about.
I enforce the law! I make split second decisions based on the books. They may not always agree but that's why I wear my own color. At the end of the day, i've made no friends, and plenty of enemies. Why do I do it? Because I know what's right and wrong. And i've seen every precedent. So while they may argue, I am always in the right.   Cliff Keen website

Offline TXMike

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 05:53:56 PM »
Nobody is refusing to officiate.  All that is being refused is the arbitrary useless unfair tax that is being proposed on us. 

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 08:12:49 PM »
I sent Mr T an e-mail last week (unanswered) reccomending the UIL just charge us football officials $20, since membership in the Fed costs $30.  We'll get zero benifit from being members of the Fed. His silence tells me its all about the $$$.

Offline fencewire

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 08:55:17 PM »
((()))
You're not getting it.

If the UIL has no pool of folks to draw from next fall, they'll be forced to re-open a dialog with TASO. Then TASO will be able to, at the very least, get things back to the way they were (if not improve the situation). You will be working varsity games, if TASO folks hold their individual grounds. Keep the faith.

Oh, I definitely get it.  Here is the rub, you are betting on the fact that they will be forced to re-open dialog.  My point is, what if we roll craps and they don't?

blackandwhite1

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 09:14:31 PM »
Guys it really comes down to the fact. Do we want to call football. I say that we do. Whether it be TASO or UIL, we just all want to call football. TASO has screwed up big time over the years (thanks Ray) and the UIL is tired of it. No matter who wins this thing we all just want to call football. If you pay your dues to UIL, you will call football, and nothing changes. If you pay TASO, you sit at home. What does TASO give us that the UIL wont. Not much frankly. If the UIL wants to go to Federation (I pray they dont) they can and will and TASO cant do a thing about it. Now the pay scale is a concern, but if they cut it, whether you are a TASO guy or not they have the right to do it and just like we are now, you can choose to call football or not. Its really like a rule change, every year they change something. Does TASO have a say about it? NO and they never will. But we accept the rule book as is and we adapt. This is truly another rule change. TASO screwed up and we officials WILL ADAPT. A wise man told me years ago, DON"T EVER THINK YOU CAN'T BE REPLACED. TASO is betting we can't be replaced, but that wise man was correct, WE ALL CAN BE REPLACED AND WILL BE EVENTUALLY. Even you Houston guys. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 09:20:54 PM »
If you are for real and not just a troll, you are clearly biased and have a gripe with Ray.  Well Ray hasn't been in charge for "years" so don't use him as a scapegoat. And why do you feel the continued need to fire at Houston? What did they do to you????  And TASO did not bring us here. A few TASO baseball and basketball chapters did

WABill

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 07:33:06 AM »
TxDoc is spot on with his assessment.  The game will go on.  It becomes an individual choice.  Do you want to work under the UIL or not.  I chose not.  I am not bigger than the game.  I can be replaced.  I know that.  I love officiating and will greatly miss the Anthem next August, however, after 20 years on the field, I am excited about a Friday night date with my wife and no missed family activities for sub-varsity games.  Thank you Mr. Timmons and Mr. Breithup for finally showing me the important things in life are not football related.  Without you, I would still be under the influence of calling high school football.  Thank you for giving me the incentive to hang up the cleats.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 09:52:01 AM »
What does TASO give us that the UIL wont. Not much frankly.

just to name a few:

- Mechanics Manuals
- Training
- Advocacy

WHat will the UIL give us that TASO does not:

-Membership to the NHSF, what does that mean to you black and white?