Author Topic: TASO Hydration Policy  (Read 25161 times)

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
Re: TASO Hydration Policy
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 05:36:27 PM »
It's a shame that we can do something that is allowable by rule in the interest of the kids' safety...and the UIL turns it into a POURING contest about jurisdiction. ^flag

SCREW YOU UIL...I'M GOING TO FOLLOW THE TASO GUIDELINE BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO AUTHORITY MR. TIMMONS!!!   ^no

secondeagle

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 06:01:28 PM »
I also am blown away, cause UIL is able to contact me better than TASO. So do we or don't we? Got a game tomorrow so kind of need to know.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »
I haven't received anything from the UIL.  I will be following the guidelines sent to me by my chapter.   :)

rickref

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 06:08:08 PM »
We will ask the coaches. It is that simple. It is a precaution measure that can be used. If coaches say no then it is on them.We will just ask them before the game. If both are good then do it. Else a normal game. Not like it would be that abnormal anyway if you instituted this. I am truly baffled by the entire debate and why it got here.

Offline TxGrayhat

• FAN REACTION: +15/-4
  • T.A.S.O
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 06:22:05 PM »
This just plain stupid.. I have all they authority I need Under the rules to send these kids to the sideline for water. I will excercise that authority and water the kids. With or without UIL or Coaches approval.  Every Year we hear of a High School Kid, College Kids, and profesional atheletes DIE because of heat and lack of hydration.  I don't care one bit if the coaches UIL or anyone else has an issue with me allowing them to get water even if it gives em time to rest. That is an acceptable side effect. IMHO
If you don't see the Football Don't Blow the Whistle!!!

Offline blindref757

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 08:37:10 PM »
This just plain stupid.. I have all they authority I need Under the rules to send these kids to the sideline for water. I will excercise that authority and water the kids. With or without UIL or Coaches approval.  Every Year we hear of a High School Kid, College Kids, and profesional atheletes DIE because of heat and lack of hydration.  I don't care one bit if the coaches UIL or anyone else has an issue with me allowing them to get water even if it gives em time to rest. That is an acceptable side effect. IMHO

+1

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »
 ^flag

I really thought that Fecci's explanation of the TASO hydration policy on KENS-TV(San Antonio) was an excellent one. The head coach who was interviewed in this piece was very supportive of it, but it was all too apparent that he was not from the UIL. Now it appears that the only "acceptable" way that this policy can be implemented with the  tiphat: Good UIL Drs. blessing, is for both head coaches to agree to this policy prior to the games actual kickoff. Other than that, the UIL notice seems to have sent out the negative undertones of its message that it finds this "unneeded" policy most repulsive and unacceptable!

Methinks that sometime in the very near future, the good folks over on Manor Road will begin to think up some acceptable form of recapitulation with the issuance of a carefully-worded prepared statement of limited support, primarily because for them to try to buck TASO on this particular item will definitely not play very well in the court of public opinion; not even taking into exception that the UIL still finds itself well-entrenched in a nasty lawsuit with TASO, and objecting to something that may well have the potential to ultimately save a kids life~ well, that's just one road that the  tiphat: Good UIL Dr. just really doesn't want to saunter down at this particular point in time!    z^
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:21:43 AM by arbitrator »

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living

rickref

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 07:35:31 AM »
txgray I completely agree we have the autority regardless of coaches UIL etc to do this in a game. I was taking the high road in stating we can simply ask coaches. In a 90 plus game on turf at kick off we might not ask anyone.

Bottom line is UIL did not take the high road in this message. I do not think they are smelling very rosey on this issue.

Offline TxGrayhat

• FAN REACTION: +15/-4
  • T.A.S.O
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 08:16:41 AM »
Part of my Pre-Game Conversation with the Coach.. " Coach the Temperatures have been very high and has been hard for the kids to maintain good hydration levels over the past few weeks. We are still experiencing those same conditions this week. Under the rules I am allowed to stop or delay the restarting of the game clock anytime i feel conditions or situations warrant such actions. I fully expect to that tonight it will be necessary for me use that authority and allow a little extra time in each quarter for the kids to stay hydrated. It will be somewhere in the middle of each quarter. most likely in a change of possession when the teams are already on the sidelines substituting Offense for Defense they will just be allowed to stay on the sideline just a little longer. I don't feel this will create any noticeable increase in the length of the game nor give either team an advantage over the other nor should it effect the style of play by either team. I will/have explained this with the other Head Coach and he is aware of my intentions".
If you don't see the Football Don't Blow the Whistle!!!

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 10:28:02 AM »
 ^flag

TxGrayhat: I heartily concur. The only discernible difference in mine will be that on the hydration issue, I will make a point to interview both head coaches together. Then we should be able to find common ground and reach a firm agreement prior to my blowing the whistle for the opening kickoff!   z^
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:44:34 PM by arbitrator »

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 12:28:03 PM »
It will be somewhere in the middle of each quarter. most likely in a change of possession when the teams are already on the sidelines substituting Offense for Defense they will just be allowed to stay on the sideline just a little longer. I don't feel this will create any noticeable increase in the length of the game nor give either team an advantage over the other nor should it effect the style of play by either team.

tiphat: Hats off.  That's right-on.

I know how I plan to deal with this, and how to communicated to the coaches, and it will not be an issue or even noticeable.  

UIL must get them a PR firm.  There is no way anyone in PR would ever allow this message to have been sent the way it was worded.  They just seem to keep digging themselves a little deeper.  What the UIL seems to be disregard, surprise, surprise, is that this is as much for the officials as it is the players.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:24 PM »
"UIL Officials" don't need water.   

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »
I will be stopping the clock for hydration time outs with or without "permission". In fact, I may do a UIL Incident report just to let the folks on Manor Rd. know that I did it................... >:D
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2010, 12:50:48 PM »
I will be stopping the clock for hydration time outs with or without "permission". In fact, I may do a UIL Incident report just to let the folks on Manor Rd. know that I did it................... >:D

^flag

Now I like that! Filing a UIL Incident Report... against the UIL! That's priceless! In fact, I like that idea so much, I think that all of us need to overload their Incident Report hoppers with reports against them.

Either that, or forward the UIL's response to TASO to the various influential Texas state legislators!  I would think that they would love to know exactly what's going on!   z^
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:52:58 PM by arbitrator »

Offline TXMike

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »
Many of you have been contacted directly by the UIL with an email concerning the procedural memo I sent regarding the hydration of players and officials. In light of the contradictory memos from TASO and UIL I would like to clear up and give specific references to the UIL memo as to mine.
The term “policy” refers to procedural guidelines for TASO members only. Nowhere does my statement indicate that I am advocating or changing a UIL policy, nor creating a change or authoring a new NCAA rule.
The memo does not say to use a mandatory time out. The time out referred to as an official’s time out, is the interval where officials will verbally encourage the teams to hydrate. The actual game stoppage as was noted later in the memo is to be done during the normal dead ball interval that follows the completion of a try, after a successful field goal, a punt, or change of team possession at a time that would not affect a team’s momentum. No independent time out was indicated to be called. The noting as to approximately near the mid point of each quarter is a reference so players and officials will be encouraged to hydrate.
The extended time of the dead ball intervals, where we encourage the hydration of players and officials, were to be of standard “time out” length. However here is where official’s discretion has and can be used under rule 3-3-1a to extend the time out until the officials feel all team members have had an opportunity to be furnished liquid. Historically this has not been longer than an additional 30 seconds or so. This is what we have done in previous years with the UIL’s knowledge and acceptance. I have no knowledge that Coaches requested that this procedure be stopped or that they have a problem with us giving additional time to help safeguard their players.
This is all about common sense and good judgment. We are not implementing a mandatory time out, we are not changing the NCAA rules, and we are not setting policy. Before the game the referee should discuss with both coaches, that during a normal break, about the mid point of each quarter, we may extend the normal break to allow the teams and officials the time needed to hydrate if conditions warrant.
With this clarification I again, as my original note to the chapter presidents and secretaries’ indicated, want to reinforce the need to discuss with the coaches during pregame what our intentions are with this procedure and ask for their consent and agreement.
I find it unfortunate that my communication has caused some misunderstandings between our membership, our coaches, school administrators and the UIL.  Taso Football will continue to foster a productive relationship with all concerned now and in the future.
Finally, let me be clear. I make no apology for directing the TASO Football Officials to be mindful of the conditions our student athletes must compete in. I will continue to insist that officials take whatever steps within the rules afforded us under NCAA and UIL, to keep these youngsters as safe as possible.
Thank you and best of luck for a good start to the season this weekend.
Bill Fecci,
President
TASO Football Division

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2010, 02:40:57 PM »
"Football Rules 68," the one right before rule 69, stipulates that as TT plays Horatio Hornblower to Dr. B, Dr. B is in no way obligated to simultaneously reciprocate, thus, 68.

Lord forgive me, I just could not help myself.

HAshleyTX

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2010, 10:57:32 PM »
This whole thing is priceless.  The UIL couldn't make a bigger BUTT of themselves.  Don't they have anyone proof read thier stuff for content and effect?  This blew up in thier face because of thier own arrogance.

BTW, we implemented this practice today and both coaches were very, very, VERY supportive.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:59:49 PM by HAshleyTX »

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2010, 10:03:16 AM »
It went fine in my game as well.  We just extended the intermission after a score or held the RFP a bit longer after a punt and the coaches greatly appreciated it.  This really should be a non-issue.

rickref

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2010, 10:12:15 AM »
Samer here. Went great and our coaches liked and even helpfully remined us of them each quarter. We simply added 30 seconds on interval to kick off or did a to after a punt. Was very easy to manage.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2010, 10:19:56 AM »
First varsity game last night.  One coach did not want to do the "timeout" so we obliged his request.  What he didn't even realized was that we did take extra time during the normal stoppages in the game.  Just take your time and they don't even notice.  We had at least 8 stoppages throughout the game due to players getting cramps.  During that time we sent the players off to get water as they tended to the cramping player.  Both teams received ample time for water and they were all drinking it as intended. 

Offline TXMike

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »
We had the same experience as Jason's in our game.  Coaches did not want (or were told not to want).  It was televised so they had all kinds of breaks (and still had cramping)

Chikenwang

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2010, 10:44:09 AM »
We did it last night during our JV game. It went well with no complaints. We had a slight breeze which helped alot. I just think it would be easier to extend the quarter breaks by a few minutes than to interrupt the quarter. Adding 2-3 minutes to the quarter changeover after the 1st and 3rd would help with hydration. Most natural breaks in the game ar at the end of quarters and the halves anyway.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »
At our game last night I told both coaches we were going to take the timeouts and both agreed. First quarter, one team called time out about the 7 min mark so I just made that TO longer. 2nd and third quarters we did an officials TO. Fourth quarter we had a stoppage on a score about midway and we just extended the time.

We did not have to stop for any cramps ( unless you count my umpire)

" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline blindref757

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2010, 11:04:59 PM »
It wasn't cramps...it was a snickers break!!!