Author Topic: SB LIII.....after further review......  (Read 4635 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
SB LIII.....after further review......
« on: February 08, 2019, 07:32:53 AM »
I record all Super Bowls the Pats are in. I quickly delete the ones THEY (Boston Patriots) lose. I watch the reruns of those WE (New England Patriots) win. IMHO, the officials worked a great game with two exceptions. They both occurred late in the 4th qtr. on the Pat's FG scoring drive :

(1) Lack of communication with Rams coach on multiple fouls on Pats. Even the announcers knew the Rams should decline both in lieu of replaying down while ref announced acceptance of the hands-to-face foul. It was corrected - no harm ,no foul.

(2) A few plays later, the chains were brought out on a close measurement. The 40" clock had ticked to 36" when stopped. The measurement showed short. The play clock then began to run from 36" to 1" until Brady called time. IMHO, shutting down the play to measure = admistrative stoppage = reset to 25" = 11" extra were allowed to run off  :o ???.

What are your opinions  ??? ??? ??? ?     

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: SB LIII.....after further review......
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:15:50 AM »
Shows that even with 100 cameras, 8 field officials and 100,000 spectators the "40 Second clock" fetish, is NOT perfect.  Continuing to rely on the ability of a competent Referee's flexibility to control and manage clock stoppages, which often include unique circumstances (confusion, explanations, etc.) ESPECIALLY at the Interscholastic level has served "the game" well for 100+ years allowing the actual action on the field to dictate clock management rather than an arbitrary time interval.

No two football plays, much less entire games, have ever been exactly the same.  If increased focus on reducing "dead time" is the objective, greater attention, scrutiny and consistent enforcement of dead ball time management, by game field officials, seems a much more prudent, game specific (and cost effective) manner to regulate consistency (of the actual game being played).

When something isn't really broke, excessive tinkering rarely produces actual improvement.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 10:07:01 AM »
(2) A few plays later, the chains were brought out on a close measurement. The 40" clock had ticked to 36" when stopped. The measurement showed short. The play clock then began to run from 36" to 1" until Brady called time. IMHO, shutting down the play to measure = admistrative stoppage = reset to 25" = 11" extra were allowed to run off  :o ???.

"Surprisingly" the NFL rule is different compared to the NCAA rule on how the play clock is managed. If the play clock is stopped due to a measurement, it is resumed from where it was when stopped. Rules 4-5-5 and 4-6-3.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 11:30:05 AM »
"Surprisingly" the NFL rule is different compared to the NCAA rule on how the play clock is managed. If the play clock is stopped due to a measurement, it is resumed from where it was when stopped. Rules 4-5-5 and 4-6-3.
Thanks, Kalle, I was surprised there wasn't a roar from the Ram sidelines  :o ! I'm an ole' dawg, but sometimes I do learn a new trick :!#.      tiphat:

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 12:25:49 PM »

I thought the Rams should have thrown a challenge flag because the spot looked generous.  Would this have stopped the clock until the snap!or what is the impact on the play clock?

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 07:07:00 PM »

I thought the Rams should have thrown a challenge flag because the spot looked generous.  Would this have stopped the clock until the snap!or what is the impact on the play clock?

Can the spot be challenged in the NFL or does have to be challenging short or beyond the LTG like NCAA?

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 01:40:59 PM »

Play clock reset: Outside two minutes, yes. Inside two minutes, only if the ruling is reversed. Game clock status does not change.

The forward progress spot can only be challenged if it relates to LTG or the goal line.

The NFL rule book can be found here: https://operations.nfl.com/media/3277/2018-nfl-rulebook_final-version.pdf

Note that I am not a NFL official.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 03:51:00 PM »
Also no challenges inside the last 2 minutes of each half. All possible challenges would be handled by the replay booth personnel. Even if the Rams had timeouts (they did not), they would not be able to challenge the spot of the play on the measurement.