Author Topic: Unusual spike to conserve time  (Read 6168 times)

Offline golfingref

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
Unusual spike to conserve time
« on: November 11, 2016, 03:25:25 PM »
QB A7 takes the direct hand to hand snap and immediately throws the ball forward to the ground, however he hits his center in the butt. This doesn't meet the requirement of a legal spike, however it also doesn't meet the requirements for illegal touching. Is there a foul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
Re: Unusual spike to conserve time
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 03:33:03 PM »
The ball was thrown forward to the ground. It didn't DIRECTLY go to the ground, but it was thrown to (or you might say 'toward') the ground.

I would say no foul.

Is it a legal spike though if the QB throws the ball immediately forward to the ground, it hits the center's butt and goes up in the air where the RB swats it down?

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 03:56:19 PM »
The exception allowing the conservation of time by spiking the ball is, IMHO, necessarily pretty specific.  By not throwing the ball directly tot he ground, one of the requirements has not been met; ergo....forward pass thrown to where no eligible receiver resides....ergo IFP.  Since the lllegal pass was thrown to conserve time, start the clock on the ready.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 09:17:41 AM »
I wouldn't grab the crappy end of the stick here.  Just call it incomplete and move on.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 09:38:05 AM »
Back in 1995 when we put the spike rule in, we had a case some of us referred  to as "Bubba's butt bounce" where the misaimed spike deflected of Bubba's butt and was plucked out of the air by Tugboat, the nose guard. The ruling was an intercepted pass and no mention was given to consider it illegal.

Other things to remember about a NFHS spike :
 (1) Can't be from shotgun;
 (2) Can't spike after fumble;
 (3) If thrown backwards or sideways, it becomes a live ball;
 (4) in #1,2 WH can start on RFP per 3-4-6.

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 10:03:30 PM »
It is an illegal forward pass. When all else fails, read the rule and case book.  7.5.2 SITUATION B:

Quarterback A1 is in position for a direct hand-to-hand snap.

(a) A1 muffs the snap, but is able to take the ball from the ground and spike it forward; or
(b) A1 receives the snap, but his spike attempt hits snapper A2's leg and ricochets into the air.

A1 catches the ball and immediately spikes it forward.

RULING: An illegal forward pass in both (a) and (b). Once the ball touches the ground, a player or a spike attempt is unsuccessful, it may not be grounded ­legally thereafter using this exception. In order to be a "direct snap" and therefore meet the allowance within the exception, the ball must go immediately from the snapper to the person in position to take the hand-to-hand snap without being muffed, fumbled or otherwise mishandled.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 11:36:24 PM »
It is an illegal forward pass. When all else fails, read the rule and case book.  7.5.2 SITUATION B:

(a) A1 muffs the snap, but is able to take the ball from the ground and spike it forward; or
(b) A1 receives the snap, but his spike attempt hits snapper A2's leg and ricochets into the air.

RULING: An illegal forward pass in both (a) and (b). Once the ball touches the ground, a player or a spike attempt is unsuccessful, it may not be grounded ­legally thereafter using this exception. In order to be a "direct snap" and therefore meet the allowance within the exception, the ball must go immediately from the snapper to the person in position to take the hand-to-hand snap without being muffed, fumbled or otherwise mishandled.

The OP did not state that the QB caught the ball and tried to "re-spike" it.  If the ball hits the snapper and pops into the air and subsequently goes to the ground untouched, I have an incomplete pass.  No foul. 

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 07:24:27 AM »
No foul, too technical.  If the ball pops into the air without hitting the ground, then different scenario.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 08:15:19 AM »
IMHO, 7.5.2B is flagged for a second forward pass, not because the ball bounced off Bubba's butt. Bubba's butt bounce would be a BS (bad spike) but no  ^flag.

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 11:26:35 AM »

Technically, I guess you are correct, but in practice, I just can't see throwing a flag because the center is built like a Kardashian.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 11:46:57 AM »
....... the center is built like a Kardashian.

When the PC police show up, remember that accuracy is no defense to a charge of insensitivity.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
Unusual spike to conserve time
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 06:56:12 PM »
I wouldn't grab the crappy end of the stick here.  Just call it incomplete and move on.

Never heard that one before, but I plan to use it. Probably will forget to give you credit. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »

Agreed. Don't go looking for the fly poop in the pepper.