Author Topic: Option or No Option?  (Read 11208 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: Option or No Option?
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2017, 06:38:48 AM »
Shouldn't the history and rationale for this "when to wind the clock" option also come into play here?  The origin and justification for this goes back to the days when a team would "unintentionally" foul to gain a clock advantage late in a half.  The purpose of the option (to start on the RFP or the snap) was a well intentioned "fix" to address the advantage(s) gained by the fouling team.  How does stopping the clock to administer a sideline warning create an advantage/disadvantage for either team?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:46:01 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 07:43:03 AM »
Depending on the situation and circumstance, 3-4-7 gives the "offended" team an option to choose whether to allow the game clock to start on the ready, or if THEY choose for it to start on the snap BECAUSE the offendING team elected to behave inappropriately (and one might assume it would take a genuine breach of behavior to rise to the level of flagging) in this situation.

The advantage/disadvantage is providing one team with an opportunity to gain an advantage they are GIVEN as a result of inappropriate behavior by their opponent, which can totally and easily be avoided by the opponent(s) simply behaving properly until the half, or game ends.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »
The  ^flag sideline warning  ^flag was put in a few years ago to add teeth to the "clear mote during live ball rule". The concern with wing officials,working out-of-bounds,  running into coaches still in the mote. With the addition of 9-4-3 & 9-4-8 (such illegal contact), it was felt that "...geez, coach, can you try.." or "...please ,coach, please stay out of..." were not really strong enough to stress prevention BUT a flag and signal would.

In our lives, consider the times we may have been pulled over while driving and told P_S "...geez, you were going a little fast...could you try to...."  VS " P_S I'M ONLY GIVING YOU A WRITTEN WARNING THIS TIME, BUT IT'LL SHOW UP IF YOU GET STOPPED AGAIN  P_S..." We begin to pay more attention to our speedometer than before :-[ . We know ,as Dean Vernon Wormer of Faber College once said : "...double secret probation" now exists.

IMHO, that being said, this was a formal foul that carried no yardage...IE... the choice of the offended team would exist.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:03:29 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »

Ralph -

I'm quite sure you meant to say: Dean Vernon Wormer and Faber College

Where their Founder, Emil Faber, made his famous quote: Knowledge is Good

And, I believe that college is out here somewhere!
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 04:37:17 PM »
How does stopping the clock to administer a sideline warning create an advantage/disadvantage for either team?

A leads by 7 or less with 35 seconds remaining and B is out of timeouts.  With 5 seconds remaining on the 25-second clock, A's coach steps into the restricted area and shouts to his QB. A flag is dropped for SW.  If we restart the clock following the warning, A can run out the clock without having to snap.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 06:13:49 PM »
Why would you blow the whistle and stop the clock here?  We've been instructed to drop the flag, let the play run, then enforce the "penalty" after the play is over.  It's not a "blow & throw".
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 10:29:51 AM »
Ralph -

I'm quite sure you meant to say: Dean Vernon Wormer and Faber College

Where their Founder, Emil Faber, made his famous quote: Knowledge is Good

And, I believe that college is out here somewhere!
Thanks, KWH, my rant has now been properly corrected. Some Dartmouth alumni have told me that Animal House was written by a fellow alum and the Delta frat rats were real life classmates. .....and if so, what state was the future Senator Bluto from???

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »
Thanks, KWH, my rant has now been properly corrected. Some Dartmouth alumni have told me that Animal House was written by a fellow alum and the Delta frat rats were real life classmates. .....and if so, what state was the future Senator Bluto from???

0.0 GPA to Senator John Blutarsky
http://futuresight.dewlines.org/files/2012/02/Bluto1.jpg

Senator Blutarsky, after failing out of Faber College in 1962, there was a series of events that lead to his meteoric rise, becoming US Senator of the great state Oregon.

http://futuresight.dewlines.org/files/2012/02/Bluto2.jpg

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:42:07 AM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2017, 04:48:07 PM »
Why would you blow the whistle and stop the clock here?  We've been instructed to drop the flag, let the play run, then enforce the "penalty" after the play is over.  It's not a "blow & throw".

In our state, we're asked to get that pre-snap.  The "blow & throw" makes everyone in the stadium aware of what's going on.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Option or No Option?
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 05:30:58 PM »
Depending on the situation and circumstance, 3-4-7 gives the "offended" team an option to choose whether to allow the game clock to start on the ready, or if THEY choose for it to start on the snap BECAUSE the offendING team elected to behave inappropriately (and one might assume it would take a genuine breach of behavior to rise to the level of flagging) in this situation.

The advantage/disadvantage is providing one team with an opportunity to gain an advantage they are GIVEN as a result of inappropriate behavior by their opponent, which can totally and easily be avoided by the opponent(s) simply behaving properly until the half, or game ends.
Exactly. If the offending team didn't want the clock stopped they should have stayed out of the restricted area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk