Author Topic: roughing the snapper  (Read 8394 times)

Offline ftalerico

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
roughing the snapper
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:14:15 PM »
Is there any NF rules basis to call a foul when the snapper gets hit and the QB is 7 yards deep to receive the snap?

Offline SanDiegoStryker

Re: roughing the snapper
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »
No. For the roughing the snapper the offense has to be in scrimmage kick formation. To be in scrimmage kick formation they have to have a holder 7 yd back and a kicker 3 yd behind him or they have to have a kicker 10 yd back.

Offline NWA_UMP

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 04:42:16 PM »
Think Punt and Extra Point Try...

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
(Suppresses urge to mention the late, non-lamented Offense That Shall Not Be Named)

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 07:12:50 AM »
Is there any NF rules basis to call a foul when the snapper gets hit and the QB is 7 yards deep to receive the snap?
...and even if A is in formation where snapper is protected, he's only protected from "direct contact", NOT any contact.  Thus, B is free/clear to rush the A-gap.

mbyron

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:21:56 AM »
...and even if A is in formation where snapper is protected, he's only protected from "direct contact", NOT any contact.  Thus, B is free/clear to rush the A-gap.

Yep. How many times do we hear JV coaches shouting "they touched my center!"

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 07:57:01 AM »
Yep. How many times do we hear JV coaches shouting "they touched my center!"
...or JV centers who stay down for the whole play...thinking they're protected as long as they are down.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:03:09 AM by TampaSteve »

RickKY

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 09:12:51 AM »
The definition of snapper includes the following...
...the snapper remains a snapper until he has had a reasonable opportunity to regain his balance and protect himself...

If he has that opportunity and does not take it, he may be contacted.  Although, if he has his head down and a defender roughly contacts him, it would not be roughing the snapper, but it could be a personal foul unnecessary roughness.  Use wise judgement in this case.

Offline SBEII

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 12:28:21 AM »
What if...........K is in punt formation with the punter 10+ yards behind the center. Umpire does the norm and informs defense that the center has protection.

Now.....the ball is snapped........the nose guard blows up the center. Umpire throws the flag.  But wait.....the ball was snapped to the up man who was only 3 yards deep and he thros a pass for a 1st down on the fake punt.

What do you have????  Wave off the flag???? Tack it on to the end of the run???

Offline ckref

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 08:15:03 AM »
Snapper is still protected based on the formation.  Foul occurred during loose ball (forward pass) play.  Enforce at previous spot, if that is more advantageous to A than the result of the play.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 08:28:57 AM »
What do you have????  Wave off the flag???? Tack it on to the end of the run???

ckref gave you the right answer, it's still RTS.

But why do we "tack on" an RTP penalty (enforced from the dead ball spot if beyond the LOS), but not a roughing penalty on a snapper?

I know, the RTP penalty is an exception, but my question is why the exception for one and not the other?

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 08:57:21 AM »

But why do we "tack on" an RTP penalty (enforced from the dead ball spot if beyond the LOS), but not a roughing penalty on a snapper?

I know, the RTP penalty is an exception, but my question is why the exception for one and not the other?

Good question/suggestion....take care of that with the rules committee will you AB.  They don't seem to pay attention to officials!

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 09:15:25 AM »

Good question AB.  My only thought is the coaches have pushed the rules committee to protect their precious QB's but really don't give a rat's rear end about your kicker, holder, and snapper >:D

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 07:32:12 AM »

I think it's because it's such a rare occurance that the RC didn't feel a special enforcement was warranted.  Almost every RTS foul is going to be enforced from the previous spot.