Author Topic: Uniform Violations  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Phantomref

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Uniform Violations
« on: December 09, 2018, 01:38:13 PM »
After watching numerous playoff games the past few weeks, it appears that most officials at this point of the season are not going to enforce the new uniform requirements- especially with respect to the knee pad requirement. It's disappointing (to say the least) that a point of emphasis was made this year to enforce uniform requirements, yet we have officials that refuse to enforce that requirement. I can only surmise that those officials are either not concerned with the requirement, don't feel they are the uniform police P_S , or are concerned that the coaches will not use them again if they enforce the requirement. What kind of example are these officials setting for other officials?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Uniform Violations
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 02:52:28 PM »
On the other hand, if teams are still wearing this crap then no,one has enforced it all year
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »
On the other hand, if teams are still wearing this crap then no,one has enforced it all year
Not necessarily true.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »
This same conversation happens every year.
This has always been, and remains, the most problematic rule that on-field officials are charged to enforce.  Even in NCAA, where coaches have no direct influence on officiating assignments, officials get tired of constantly having to try to cajole players into compliance, with little, to no, support from coaches.  If officials were to enforce this rule as strictly as is needed, almost no “skill” players would be allowed to play.  While making star players sit out until they get pants and pads that comply is exactly the thing that is needed, the grief from conference executives that a crew would get by doing just that can be overwhelming.  No coordinator is going to last very long if his staff makes the stars sit out.  Sad, but true.

The situation is compounded for UIL because the teams have the power of the assignment of officials.  Make a star player sit out, and the crew - and, perhaps their chapter - runs the very high risk of getting ‘scratched’ by that team.

The first thing out of coaches mouths (any level) when a violation is pointed out is, “He’s got long legs, and that’s how the pants fit.”  Of course, even at the HS level, that’s pure hogwash (you know the word I’d rather use).  The pants manufacturers can give them pants in any combination of waist size and inseam length.  The coaches simply have no desire or incentive to help.  But they have no problem criticizing us for enforcing, or attempting to enforce, this rule.

Of course, this is caused by the NFL.  I don’t know their actual rules, but they obviously allow the knees to be unpadded and not covered by pants, although, apparently, their legs must be covered by either pants or leggings.  College players want to emulate the NFL guys, and HS guys wants to emulate both.  They don’t care about rules or safety, they just want to look cool.  Yeah, loosely fitting knee pants/pads allow for less restrictive knee movement.  But the knees can be covered/padded, and still offer free movement. 
Coaches can fix this problem.  They (NCAA in particular) can put a little pressure on the pants manufacturers to solve the problem.  Instead, they choose to take the easier path and just put this on the game officials, and then whine when things don’t go their way.

Even if officials in Texas were to be freed from the bondage of “coach selection,” this particular problem would not go away.  Not until college teams comply with the rule.  That won’t happen voluntarily.  Sadly, that will take financial penalties for violations, enforced at the conference level, to fix this.

Not much point in complaining about UIL crews not enforcing this rule.  It will never be enforced as it should, by the on-field crew.

Wish it was.  But it won’t.  Get over it.

Robert
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:37:02 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 06:00:30 PM »
Similar how we had to enforce a number color contrasting rule last year only to see three state championship games played in complete violation? 

Offline Cowman52

• FAN REACTION: +7/-2
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 06:48:33 PM »
YOu check the news papers on saturday,  had one out here both knees uncovered, jersey pulled up and back pad exposed, seems to be a pretty regular happening. 11 Saturday papers and 8 showed a violation.  And that's just 1 paper

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 06:56:46 PM »
Sadly, in my opinion, many crews are concerned more with getting selected by coaches for the regular season and playoff games and don't want to deal with it and reduce their chances of a coach picking them.   There are crews out there that do try to enforce and we always hear, you're the first crew that has raised it an issue this year.

I predict we will see many obvious uniform violations again in the State championship games again this year.

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 07:09:26 PM »
Guys I can tell you it just not in Texas, In Arkansas we fought it all year, 2 of the biggest were covered knees and a lot of that had to do with schools that had bought pants that were too short to begin with, and around here schools can not afford to buy uniforms every year,  I just wished there was a way that the manufactures could be held liable for selling pants that are too short In NHFS which are the rules we are governed by it not like they don't know the uniform rules, Knees have always had to be covered

2 is the wrist play cards I can not count the number of times that I have seen these wrist cards on the belt. Again a rule that equipment must be worn like it was attended to be used as, then of course when you enforce the rules and make them move it the coaches say we been doing it all year, Maybe so coach but tonight we are going to be playing by the rule that govern High School Sports in Arkansas and it say equipment will be worn as designed, remember you signed my form that states all players are legally equipped, if a player is found in violation of the rule you are subject to a USC.

I probably like the most of you all don't like being the uniform police but it something we have to do like it or not I just wished we could get all officials on the same sheet of music it would make our jobs a lot easier 

do or do not there is no try

Offline first_year_guy

• FAN REACTION: +18/-74
  • call what you see, see what you call
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 07:32:14 PM »
College seems to have it under control but that is why those guys work in college because they actually care about being good at their job  and enforcing the rules...high school guys care about getting picked by a coach

Offline salth2o

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 09:28:43 PM »
College seems to have it under control but that is why those guys work in college because they actually care about being good at their job  and enforcing the rules...high school guys care about getting picked by a coach

Not so much...college guys don’t enforce it.

Exhibit A - Big XII championship - Kyler

Exhibit B. - Tua

I truly hate this rule.  The knee pad as it currently exists does very little in protecting much, if anything. 

Our crew philosophy was to keep back pads covered, T-shirt’s tucked in, and knee pads worn as required.  That being said, the first two  are much easier to keep a handle on.  If the knee pad was close, we left them alone.  If it was egregious, we had them pull them down.  If they refused to even try to comply, we sent them out, but that was rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline first_year_guy

• FAN REACTION: +18/-74
  • call what you see, see what you call
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 09:37:55 PM »
Some do, my point was most high school officials probably do not enforce the rule for fear out of making the coach angry and thus not getting “picked”...I think in college it varies from conference to conference

Offline Neckbone

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »
Being from TX and first year in AZ, one thing(and possibly the only thing) AZ does great is handle uniform rules with coaches.  If they aren't equipped properly, they go out for one play.  Period.  The association makes it well known with coaches and backs the officials 100%.  Coaches no longer question or complain, they just correct it.  Of course, they have no say in assignments either.  Just sayin

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 09:42:07 PM »
It is the same thing in DC. Not properly equipped, sit out a play. The DCSAA office supports those associations who send out improperly equipped players, and the coaches tell the players to "tuck your shirts in" or "take off that visor, the ref told you to do so."