Author Topic: Shoes  (Read 3764 times)

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Shoes
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »
Hello my fellow officials. I've been away for a little while but still reading religiously. Basketball season was good to me this year, and been to quite a few clinics already for football.

Anyways the Reeboks (I think Zig something) I wore last season where horrible!   Most of our HS fields in Utah are turf with a just a few natural grass fields. I am trying to find a good shoe that is comfortable and will perform well on both types of field.  Do you all have any suggestions?

Online Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
Re: Shoes
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »
The Adidas Turf Hog was the most comfortable shoe I ever wore on the field. 

Offline bmtjim

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 05:37:16 PM »
You can also try the New Balance base shoe.  These worked well for me on all fields, and were the lightest shoes I have used in quite some time.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:24:04 AM »
ditto what they said.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 11:28:58 AM »
If you need a wide width (like me) New Balance had the most comfortable officiating shoe I ever wore. Don't know if they still make one. The addidas Turf Hog was fine, too, but not as near comfortable for me as the New Balance.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 03:46:13 PM »
Thank you all for the info!

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 09:34:41 AM »
I bought the New Balance 950v2 shoe last year.  Extremely light in weight.  Developed for the US Army as their physical training shoe and used by Major League Baseball.   You can can get low cut or mid-ankle cut, and wide width.

The low cut can be found on Amazon and Eastbay among other places.  If you want the mid-ankle and can't find them purchaseofficials.com has them.

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »
I bought the New Balance 950v2 shoe last year.  Extremely light in weight.  Developed for the US Army as their physical training shoe and used by Major League Baseball.   You can can get low cut or mid-ankle cut, and wide width.

The low cut can be found on Amazon and Eastbay among other places.  If you want the mid-ankle and can't find them purchaseofficials.com has them.

I like the New Balances and they're made very well, but for me - with very flat feet - I found the heel drop too much and they were too flat. But that's just me. I haven't really found a great alternative yet, so I may go with the NBs and orthotics.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 12:17:30 AM »
Just bought the new balance 950 low tops from Amazon. I wear wide shoes and NB is the only all black shoe that I can find in wide (4E). When I picked up the box after it was delivered I thought that a shoe was missing as the box was so light. Wearing them around the house tonight to see if they feel right. So far, so good. Almost wish I bought the high tops as my ankles are pretty exposed in this shoe.