Author Topic: Drop Kick  (Read 3321 times)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Drop Kick
« on: November 05, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »
We have been seeing some teams begin to use the drop kick on field goals.  In regards to using the numbering exception the rules don't really cover this.  Do we treat him like a punter and require him be 10 or more yards deep in order to use the numbering exception?  There is no holder so we can't allow him to be 7 yards and use the exception, even though he is attempting a field goal.  What do you think?

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Drop Kick
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »
The rule is pretty clear. If there's not a potential holder, the single player must be 10 yards deep. The rule doesn't use the term punter. Whether it's a punt or drop kick, if it's a single player, he must be 10 yards deep. 2-16-10.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 07:51:40 AM »
I thought you Texans used NCAA, where a "kicking situation" was all you needed for numbering exception. Or course I thought the Red Sox would beat the Astros,too :'( ! Congrats on your World Series victory...an uplifting moment for a state in dire need of one  pHiNzuP !

aWaRd

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 08:51:06 AM »
I thought you Texans used NCAA, where a "kicking situation" was all you needed for numbering exception.

NCAA requires that it is obvious that a kick will be made AND a potential kicker at least 10 yards from the LOS or a potential kicker and holder at least 5 yards.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 11:18:19 AM »
NCAA requires that it is obvious that a kick will be made AND a potential kicker at least 10 yards from the LOS or a potential kicker and holder at least 5 yards.
Thanks, Kalle, the year the NFHS strengthened their scrimmage kick formation definition , I had proposed the NCAA definition and didn't recall it having the location of the kicker addressed.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 01:00:19 PM »

7 yards for the holder.  I know you knew that and just was a typo.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 01:49:45 PM »
7 yards for the holder.  I know you knew that and just was a typo.

Yeah, noticed it when Ralph quoted me, and decided not to correct it assuming somebody will point it out :)