Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Texas Topics / Re: Foul by kicking team on onside kick
« Last post by Aussie-Zebra on Today at 02:27:26 PM »
https://youtu.be/2nh-nSGXMaA  For anyone that didnt see the game or a replay

Thanks Dave.
Texas Topics / Pre-game Process
« Last post by TxSkyBolt on Today at 10:02:56 AM »
We’ve had one coach say if they won they wanted to defer and kick from the south and the other says if they win they want the ball. Why have a toss at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas Topics / Re: Pre-game Process
« Last post by TexDoc on Today at 08:08:06 AM »
I think this discussion points out that although we are all part of TASO, differing regions do things differently.  In my old chapter, the entire crew goes out to meet the coaches.  The R's all met and decided this is what they wanted to do.  So what did I do?  I ignored it and took just my U.  If coach ever asked why I didn't bring the entire crew for him to meet, I told him because that's not the correct mechanic prescribed by TASO and everyone that was bringing the entire crew out was not doing it correctly.  I don't want 5 or 7 guys hovering around the HC asking all kinds of questions and interrupting my pregame. 

The coaches cert could be done by the UIL very simply.  Every HC should be required to send in a certification to the UIL before they can allow their team to step foot on the field for the first scrimmage.  But the UIL want's nothing to do with it because they read liability all over that.  They want to hang this on the officials. 

Robert, in 30 years and almost 400 varsity games, I would say maybe 5% of the time has there been a game admin introduce themselves.  It just doesn't happen around these parts.  You have to hunt them down.  If I have a field problem or some other safety issue, or dressing room issues, etc., I will find one. 
« Last post by ElvisLives on Today at 07:25:19 AM »
Kalle,
What Etref said is right.  They should care, because a player could/would include the UIL in a lawsuit in the event of an injury.  But, as long as the responsibility for securing the certification is with us (officials), then they have some ammunition to deflect liability to us.
As much as Iíd love to ask all coaches to send us a Ďmasterí certificate for all games, prior to the season, too many will not do it.  Theyíd have to send one to every chapter that is scheduled to work their games (home and away), and that would not include additional chapters they might get during the post-season.
Alternatively, they could send a master certificate to TASO, to cover ALL games for the entire season, but, since TASO has no way to compel them to do so, I would bet that only about 10% would do it.  And, if the HC quit or got fired during season, I donít think the certificate would still apply, and the replacement HC would have to send another one, and that would not likely happen.
I donít mind getting certifications each game, but I havenít figured out how do that without having coaches conferences.  Sadly, that alone, may keep the coaches conferences from going away.

Robert
« Last post by Etref on Today at 06:16:16 AM »
Because UIL doesn't want the responsibility. If something went south, they can blame it on the officials
« Last post by Kalle on Today at 01:40:19 AM »
The equipment certification is one thing that would be problematic if we did not have coaches conferences before the game.  Havenít been able to come up with a practical way to get those without conferences, but Iíll keep thinkiní.  Yep, dangerous.  I know.

How about have the schools/coaches send the certifications in advance to UIL instead of the game officials? Less liability for the officials, possibly more consistent enforcement through the league?
National Football League / Re: PAT Try
« Last post by Kalle on Today at 01:30:57 AM »
Yes. Rule 11-3-3.
National Federation Discussion / Re: Questionnaire results.....
« Last post by bossman72 on Yesterday at 08:38:53 PM »
PIAA has been sending the questionnaire out the past couple years to everyone in the state.  Prior to that, they never sent it.

So, the state associations just aren't sending the questionnaire that have low participation.  Maybe make that a POE among the committee members this year?
« Last post by ElvisLives on Yesterday at 06:35:05 PM »
Doc, the Game Administrator should be required to greet the crew when they arrive.  That is something TASO should fight for fervently.  The R should know who the GA is, and where he/she will be during the game (or how he can get game management assistance immediately, if needed).  That is also when the crew should be able to deliver their invoice(s) to the GA, secure the field mic (if used), confirm game time, pre-game timing, and half time length, and confirm that the clock operators will report to the dressing room at T-60.  Sadly, it is also the time to request the towels and soap (so very often not available unless requested).  But, also the time to express thanks for the hospitality (catch more flies with honey than vinegar, so they say).
Consistently.  Everywhere, every week.

The equipment certification is one thing that would be problematic if we did not have coaches conferences before the game.  Havenít been able to come up with a practical way to get those without conferences, but Iíll keep thinkiní.  Yep, dangerous.  I know.

Robert
National Federation Discussion / Re: Questionnaire results.....
« Last post by GA Umpire on Yesterday at 05:17:54 PM »
[RALPH:
maybe information to pass along.  It seems participation for the questionnaire would be better if coaches & officials were aware of the questionnaire.
[/quote]

I also received the link from this Board.
I then tried to find the link on the NFHS site, but was unsuccessful.  It seems they (NFHS) should send a link in an email to all NFIOA and NFICA members.   

Ralph,
Can you make this suggestion???

Also, how did GA rank in participation????
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10