Author Topic: KO Penalty - Referee Mag  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
KO Penalty - Referee Mag
« on: April 19, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »
Am I missing something?  Article in May 2018 Referee magazine, p. 67 talking about tack on penalty.

I'm quoting:
Situation:
Team K's free kick from its 40 yardline goes out of bounds untouched after breaking the plane of team R's goalline.

Ruling:
Because the result of the play was a touchback, the ball would next be snapped from team R's 25 yardline.

I ask again what am I missing.  Free kick, breaks plane of goalline, touchback.  No foul or tack-on right? 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:27:41 PM by Jackhammer »
"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"

Online GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
Re: KO Penalty - Referee Mag
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 07:44:24 PM »
Am I missing something?  Article in May 2018 Referee magazine, p. 67 talking about tack on penalty.

I'm quoting:
Situation:
Team K's free kick from its 40 hardline goes out of bounds untouched after breaking the plane of team R's goalline.

Ruling:
Because the result of the play was a touchback, the ball would next be snapped from team R's 25 yardline.

I ask again what am I missing.  Free kick, breaks plane of goalline, touchback.  No foul or tack-on right?

I agree.  I had the same question when I read the ruling.
How can you have a penalty on a kick going into the end zone?   6-1-9

Offline ChicagoZebra

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »
That is definitely wrong. Should be the 20 yard line. Someone confuse NFHS and NCAA?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 06:19:44 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me.  Referee Magazine is published only once per month, yet they consistently have to make a correction on at least one of their quizzes every month.

Can't they assign someone to fact-check these quizzes in a 30-day period?

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 04:15:02 PM »
As someone who has published quizzes that I read and re-read many times before sending them out, you would be surprised that how often you overlook something. It's not as easy as you think. It's usually the result of changing one thing in the question and forgetting all the ways it impacts the answer.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 04:35:17 PM »

Can't they assign someone to fact-check these quizzes in a 30-day period?

To paraphrase the late, great, Eli Wallach, from one of his movies, "Facts? We don't need no stinkin' facts!"

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 09:11:32 AM »
 :puke:
As someone who has published quizzes that I read and re-read many times before sending them out, you would be surprised that how often you overlook something. It's not as easy as you think. It's usually the result of changing one thing in the question and forgetting all the ways it impacts the answer.

Understand. But I'd let at least one of my fellow officials look it over before publishing.  That would reduce the chances of such a blatant error.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 09:47:19 AM »
:puke:
Understand. But I'd let at least one of my fellow officials look it over before publishing.  That would reduce the chances of such a blatant error.
Not always possible with timing and not always perfect either. When I was doing my play I would send it out to 600 people and when I made an error I would maybe get 3 or 4 replies pointing it out. I know some probably assume others will do it, but many won't notice. I just say until you have been in the position where you are publishing play scenarios it's really easy to be critical. As easy at is to misread a question on a quiz it's that easy to mess it up when writing one as well.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 06:50:58 AM »
As someone who must proofread constantly, I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying. but still, even a rudimentary second glance at this situation should have caught the error.

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
KO Penalty - Referee Mag
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 08:05:58 AM »
Here is a challenge with this question.  Can anyone think of a 5 yard foul by K that would tack on under the new rule and would "fix" this question?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »
It’s been said on here several times - read Referee Magazine for the articles. Read Redding’s for quizzes.