Author Topic: Patriots plays against Baltimore  (Read 9259 times)

ALStripes17

Patriots plays against Baltimore
« on: January 25, 2015, 09:31:05 AM »
Could we expect some HS coaches to start doing some research and incorporate an interior linemen that lines up much further outside and possibly receives a backwards pass?

Sometimes these NFL plays really like to inspire.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: Patriots plays against Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »
We had a play where we would put a tackle on the end of the line (I know, that makes him an end, but he was in an ineligible number).  He would take 2-3 steps back, the QB would throw a backward pass to him, and he would throw the ball downfield to an eligible receiver.

The first time we tried it, the QB got chased and threw a forward pass to the tackle rather than a backward one.  We were properly flagged.  The second time we tried it, the QB threw it over the head of the tackle and OOB, for a loss of about 7 yards.

We did not try it a third time.

ALStripes17

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 11:22:25 AM »
We had a play where we would put a tackle on the end of the line (I know, that makes him an end, but he was in an ineligible number).  He would take 2-3 steps back, the QB would throw a backward pass to him, and he would throw the ball downfield to an eligible receiver.

The first time we tried it, the QB got chased and threw a forward pass to the tackle rather than a backward one.  We were properly flagged.  The second time we tried it, the QB threw it over the head of the tackle and OOB, for a loss of about 7 yards.

We did not try it a third time.
I think you have told that story before haha

I could definitely see some schools in my area trying some formations where a 'skill' receiver lines up as an extended tackle (with a linemen number) and incorporates some type of option run or backwards pass.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 02:20:48 PM »
NF 7-4-2: "If a fumble or backward pass is caught or recovered by ANY player, he may advance." If ANY player wearing an INELIGIBLE number lines up ANYWHERE along the LOS, and receives a BACKWARDS pass, he can advance ithe ball ANYWAY he chooses.

This has always been a viable option, although the recent attention paid to success using this option may create additional focus.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:32:29 AM »
Could we expect some HS coaches to start doing some research and incorporate an interior linemen that lines up much further outside and possibly receives a backwards pass?

Sometimes these NFL plays really like to inspire.
How many HS coaches are going to waste of practice time to
develop a play that their players likely can't execute under game conditions? (See AB's post)

It's thinking like this that inspired "the offense that shall not be named."

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 08:48:03 AM »
How many HS coaches are going to waste of practice time to
develop a play that their players likely can't execute under game conditions? (See AB's post)

Depending on the success of what they've seen, many (possibly most, and maybe even ALL) HS football coaches are "inspired" by what they see work at higher levels.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 08:09:24 AM »
When Coach B ran his punting team on and off the field on a 4th & short earlier in the season, I worried that some of our coaches would try that. I jokingly mentioned to a coach/friend that he "better not" try that. He responded that his kids weren't well enough organized to pull it off - let alone the legality. He was right, it never came up in any games.

I feel the same about this and plan to incoperate  into my coaches clinic : "If you see something wild occur on TV, don't assume ,until you ask, that it is also legal in high school."

Editor's correction : The Red Sox equipment truck doesn't leave Fenway Park for Florida until THIS Thursday. :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:29:25 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 12:10:28 PM »
Editor's correction : The Red Sox equipment truck doesn't leave Fenway Park for Florida until THIS Thursday. :)

If then.  I understand that area is having some travel problems connected with snow.

Whatever that is.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 12:54:58 PM »
Talking heads today mentioned this is the 3rd straight Monday with snow hitting the "Bahston" area, where they've had a total of 55" since Janurary 23rd. Another foot, give or take an inch or two, is expected today. All I can say is better them than us!
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 07:40:04 AM »
I, for one, am quite thankful that my great-granddaddy turned left instead of right when he got to America.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 07:58:30 AM »
I've been on Planet Earth since 1945.
I've been a New Englander since 1945.
I've never seen a Winter as brutal as the one of 2015
I've never seen a 20 day period as brutal as the last 20.

Things to ponder until the new rules are released......
    If this is global warming, what would global cooling be like :o ??? ::) :P??
    Is this Mother Nature's payback for blaming her for the deflated footballs ??? >:D :bOW :!#??
    How will the baseball fields be after this melts :( :o ??? :'(??
    How will my lawn be after this melts ??? pray:;??

To my fellow New Englanders......
   These storms certainly have been an inconvenience. Storms in other areas of our country often prove deadly...tornadoes, hurricanes..and the like. We should consider ourselves lucky ...to have only inconveniences to deal with and the Patri...(whoops, promised not to mention 'em) Red Sox to cheer for aWaRd!!

PS: Red Sox equipment truck still scheduled to leave on Thursday. tiphat:

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 05:52:46 PM »
I, for one, am quite thankful that my great-granddaddy turned left instead of right when he got to America.

Along your line, I'm glad mine kept heading west (midwest).
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 06:44:31 PM »
Along your line, I'm glad mine kept heading west (midwest).

Personally during this time of the year, when it is in the 70s I am glad I recently left the Midwest  ;D

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 07:46:21 AM »
The Florida Gulf Coast is looking better and better every day.  yEs:
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 10:21:15 AM »
The Florida Gulf Coast is looking better and better every day.  yEs:
We return to the Florida Gulf Coast on Feb 25th for a 10 day hiatus. We are looking forward to our return. We are also looking forward to the snow in Maine melting. Snow doesn't melt much when the temp is below freezing. It's only been above freezing twice, so far, this year. It's hard to ump baseball in the snow....
                    things could be worse....

Brian Williams got suspended.
Chicago Little League champs aren't champs anymore.
The NFHS could lose the lists of rule changes.

tiphat:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:31:23 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 11:43:13 AM »
Brian Williams got suspended.
Chicago Little League champs aren't champs anymore.
The NFHS could lose the lists of rule changes.
So much for his broadcasting career.
Not the only ineligible player scandal going on in this country.
Or they could screw them up like has been known to happen in the past.
- Vince Lombardi