Football Officiating > NCAA Discussion

Just another down to discuss

(1/3) > >>

ElvisLives:
3/10, A-20, 6:00 (2), A=10, B=7.
A12 receives the snap and looks for A88 near the sideline. A88 was pushed out of bounds by B99, but A88 returned inbounds immediately, and leaped from the A-30 and, while airborne, grasped, controlled and propelled the ball to A90 at the A-35. A90 caught the ball and advanced across B's goal line and threw the ball into the stands.
(A88 and A90 are both originally eligible players.)
Ruling:

(We've discussed similar situations before, so this shouldn't be too difficult.)

dammitbobby:
I'll take a stab at it. Made me think on this one.

The result of the play is a touchdown by Team A. A88 going OOB is irrelevant since he was forced out and returned immediately, but the wing/deep should have a hat down indicating that it was seen. Since A88 is (still) an eligible receiver, his bat is legal.

9-4-1a: While a pass is in flight, only a player who is eligible to touch the ball may bat it in any direction.

By definition, he did not catch the ball (since he never touched the ground), and obviously you can't recover a pass, so (again by definition) he cannot have possession.  You can only bat a ball if it is a loose ball, which this is.

Touchdown stands, UNS for A90, one on his counter, DQ'd if his second, 15 yard penalty can be enforced on the try or succeeding KO.

ElvisLives:

--- Quote from: dammitbobby on March 27, 2024, 10:20:16 AM ---I'll take a stab at it. Made me think on this one.

The result of the play is a touchdown by Team A. A88 going OOB is irrelevant since he was forced out and returned immediately, but the wing/deep should have a hat down indicating that it was seen. Since A88 is (still) an eligible receiver, his bat is legal.

9-4-1a: While a pass is in flight, only a player who is eligible to touch the ball may bat it in any direction.

By definition, he did not catch the ball (since he never touched the ground), and obviously you can't recover a pass, so (again by definition) he cannot have possession.  You can only bat a ball if it is a loose ball, which this is.

Touchdown stands, UNS for A90, one on his counter, DQ'd if his second, 15 yard penalty can be enforced on the try or succeeding KO.

--- End quote ---

Totally correct. But always provide down/distance/location/time with answers. In this case: A, try, B-3, no clock (25), with succeeding K/O from A-20, OR A, try, B-18, no clock (25), and A90 has one added to his UNS counter.
I believe it was after the Peach Bowl in 2004 when Redding ‘interpreted’ such grasp/control/propelling of the ball by an airborne player to be “batting,” and not a pass, after the crew in that game ruled illegal forward pass. That eventually generated AR 7-3-6-VIII.

Kalle:

--- Quote from: ElvisLives on March 27, 2024, 10:40:41 AM ---I believe it was after the Peach Bowl in 2004 when Redding ‘interpreted’ such grasp/control/propelling of the ball by an airborne player to be “batting,” and not a pass, after the crew in that game ruled illegal forward pass. That eventually generated AR 7-3-6-VIII.

--- End quote ---

And we had debated the exact play situation a year before coming to the conclusion that it can only be a bat. And some people claim that weird play situations never happen in real life :)

ElvisLives:

--- Quote from: Kalle on March 27, 2024, 10:51:46 AM ---And we had debated the exact play situation a year before coming to the conclusion that it can only be a bat. And some people claim that weird play situations never happen in real life :)

--- End quote ---

“Oh, that’ll never happen.”
Famous last words.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version