Author Topic: "Fifth Down" article  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
"Fifth Down" article
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:44:35 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=101006/FifthDown

Signal the new down after every play.
See at least one official signaling back.
During timeouts, when you confirm the numer of timeouts remaining, mention the next down too.
Pay extra attention during a penalty enforcement.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: "Fifth Down" article
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 04:55:13 PM »
A well-researched and well-written article.

"So I pulled my rubber band back to three, thinking I was the only one wrong out of the bunch," Demaree says. "I just didn't trust my rubber band."

Part of my pre-game every week is to remind my crew that if any one of them has a different down than what I show before the RFP, shut everything down.  They might be the only one who's got it right!

Offline WingOfficial

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 04:57:30 PM »
Wow.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 08:32:48 AM »
Wow.

"WOW" is right. BUT, it should remind us that, regardless of how long we work, or at what level, we are all one blunder away from infamy.

Humility IS a virtue.

ppaltice

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 09:36:53 AM »
I remember watching the game and the announcers were on it right quick.  I was not an official then, so I didn't personally pick up on it.  I was just starting grad school and my roommate was from CU, so we watched all the CU games they had televised.

I started out as a HL, and I am reminded by that game frequently.  Every TO, measurement, injury, penalty enforcement, etc I check the down.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 10:01:15 AM »
Part of my pre-game every week is to remind my crew that if any one of them has a different down than what I show before the RFP, shut everything down.  They might be the only one who's got it right!

Absolutely, shut it down.  Official's TO, get together and make sure.  When it's done right nobody on the planet, outside the crew, has any idea what you've been talking about, or needs to know.

Candlesticks are a safe gift.