Author Topic: TASO Mechanics Survey  (Read 3811 times)

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
TASO Mechanics Survey
« on: January 15, 2019, 03:38:57 PM »
My suggestion was to adopt the CCA 7-man mechanics manual with required exceptions. The manual has much greater specificity across a broader set of play situations. It also has a much broader philosophies section.

(Edited)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:44:47 PM by TxSkyBolt »

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: TASO Mechanics Survey
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »
The problem with that is almost strictly financial.  TASO developed its own manuals back in the mid-2000s to avoid the cost of buying CCA manuals (as the Shake 'n' Bake commercials went, "And I hayulped").  To re-adopt the CCA manuals would mean, at the very least, I believe, paying a royalty to the CCA, if not some sort of cost per manual.  With electronic downloads, I'm not sure how that would be managed, but, I'm sure the CCA would want compensation.
And, I believe, simply copying their language would get us into a bind with the CCA.  So, we'll need to revise our manuals to match the CCA, but not just copy them.  I'm game, but I'm not on the committee. ;)

Robert

Offline Cowtown Ref

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:51:15 AM »
Excuse my ignorance on these kinda things, but we can use the NCAA rulebook but not the Mechanics?

Does TASO have to pay royalties to use the rulebook?

Ive heard this before, just don't understand.  You would think NCAA would want the high school associations using the same mechanics since high schools are the feeder programs for their officials.

Online Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »
Excuse my ignorance on these kinda things, but we can use the NCAA rulebook but not the Mechanics?

Does TASO have to pay royalties to use the rulebook?

Ive heard this before, just don't understand.  You would think NCAA would want the high school associations using the same mechanics since high schools are the feeder programs for their officials.

It has been an interesting feature since 2000 that the NCAA rule book has been legally and freely available in PDF format, but CCA/CFO has not done the same with the college mechanics.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 12:25:37 PM »
My suggestion was to adopt the CFO 7-man mechanics manual with required exceptions. The manual has much greater specificity across a broader set of play situations. It also has a much broader philosophies section.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yEs:

Offline TxSkyBolt

TASO Mechanics Survey
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:39:27 PM »
The problem with that is almost strictly financial.  TASO developed its own manuals back in the mid-2000s to avoid the cost of buying CCA manuals (as the Shake 'n' Bake commercials went, "And I hayulped").  To re-adopt the CCA manuals would mean, at the very least, I believe, paying a royalty to the CCA, if not some sort of cost per manual.  With electronic downloads, I'm not sure how that would be managed, but, I'm sure the CCA would want compensation.
And, I believe, simply copying their language would get us into a bind with the CCA.  So, we'll need to revise our manuals to match the CCA, but not just copy them.  I'm game, but I'm not on the committee. ;)

Robert
I’ve head that anecdotally but i don’t buy it. I don’t see how there could be a cost simply to use to use the mechanics espoused in the CCA manual. The only cost would be for the manual themselves. With the number of manuals we’d need TASO could probably get a volume discount.  A small price to pay for better mechanics. The TASO manual simply doesn’t compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:45:23 PM by TxSkyBolt »

Offline TxSkyBolt

TASO Mechanics Survey
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 09:43:23 PM »
It has been an interesting feature since 2000 that the NCAA rule book has been legally and freely available in PDF format, but CCA/CFO has not done the same with the college mechanics.
My understanding is the CCA is different than the NCAA.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:45:52 PM by TxSkyBolt »

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 10:14:18 PM »
CFO and NCAA are definitely different entities.  Part of the CFO issue may be the use of Referee magazine's company for publication.  They are clearly interested in profit (not that there is anything wrong with that).  As for volume discounts, that may be possible but it did not work out that way with NCAA so who knows.  One of the possible issues i see with getting this change made is that the CFO may be seen as really focusing on 8 man mechanics and just throwing the 7 man stuff out for the smaller conferences still using. 

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 10:19:13 PM »
Georgia has a custom mechanics manual available through Referee Enterprises (the company that publishes Referee Magazine and the CCA mechanics manuals), so it should be possible for TASO to develop a custom mechanics manual, sold at a bulk rate through Referee. It would include the CCA mechanics with exceptions specific to TASO, just like the GHSA manual lists both Georgia 6 and 7-man mechanics.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 07:29:19 AM »
Only speaking as an individual member of TASO, but I’m not interested in developing a manual(s) for TASO, only to sell to the membership.  There is no point in developing proprietary products that also cost the membership - those products are already available.  The point of having our own manuals is to keep membership dues and organization costs down

No doubt in my mind we can find a group of folks within our fold that have the expertise, experience, and motivation to develop such products as a service to the membership, i.e., at no charge.
Like many, I believe we need to move our manuals closer to the CCA manuals.  If the Mechanics Committee needs some volunteer help, they really don’t have to look very far.  As they have been, the manuals can be distributed electronically, at no cost to anyone.  Yes, to have a printed copy requires a member to print the manual themselves, and have it bound.  They may incur a cost in getting that done, but they are in total control of that.  Those that don’t have access to a printer and paper can almost always find a colleague willing to assist them, at only the minimum cost of the paper.

No, we don’t need to get involved with the CCA.

Robert

Offline TxSkyBolt

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 05:24:55 PM »
Robert

A couple of years ago I submitted about 4 pages of suggested edits to the TASO 7-man manual (drawing from CCA 7-man Mechanics). I think maybe one was adopted. Perhaps things have changed....