Author Topic: The questionnaire votes are in...your votes count!  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
The questionnaire votes are in...your votes count!
« on: January 09, 2020, 08:54:07 AM »
I felt you guys might have an interest in the NFHS Questionnaire results....

VOTES : Coach -       3,413
             Official -      9,574
             State office-     40

Part I : Last year's new rules - all considered satisfactory

Part II : Problem in your area - no majority BUT "Applying the 5 yard facemask rule" was 49% -51% by both coaches @ officials.

Part III: Would you favor - officials
                  2. no IG if QB outside of FBZ & pass goes over LOS        55% yea, 45% nea
                  4. allow spike from shotgun                                          52%    -   48%
                  5. AFD for DPI                                                             60%    -    40%
                  6.PFs & USC fouls by B= AFD                                        62%    -    38%
                  7. shorten halftime to 1 minute if weather delay             90%    -     10%
                  8. no FBZ if in shotgun                                                 59%    -     41%

aWaRd  z^ votes per states  z^ aWaRd

PENNSYLVANIA             1,096    aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd

OHIO                              943     aWaRd aWaRd

Illinois                            693       aWaRd             

Offline SCline

• FAN REACTION: +7/-1
Re: The questionnaire votes are in...your votes count!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 03:56:53 AM »
Interesting. Can you post the coaches results? Interested to see where differences of opinion lie.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 02:16:51 PM »
I would be interested in knowing what, if any, influence the questionnaire responses will have on the rules committee.  In prior years, has there been any significant correlation between the questionnaire responses and the actual subsequent rule changes?

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 10:18:31 AM »
I posted this over in the NCAA thread that was talking about instant replay, but the controversial Packer first down late in the game last night was only controversial because the tv production crew's yellow first down line appears to be ahead of the actual line to gain.  The spot by the line judge looked really good to me (and I am NOT a Packer fan).

The element of human error has always been a part of the game.  I am against instant replay even for High School playoffs but that's just my opinion and I respect that others might feel differently.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 11:36:59 AM »
interesting, it seems coaches' participation was about 33% that of officials.
So, when it comes to potential rules updates being adopted does that mean coaches only have about a 33% voice in the votes too?
Pun

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 08:59:00 AM »
So, when it comes to potential rules updates being adopted does that mean coaches only have about a 33% voice in the votes too?
Pun

Well... do assistant coaches take the questionnaire? because if not, there are about 3x more officials (including clock ops) than head coaches in any one game

And unless crews are doubling up, that would mean the population of working officials in any week is about 3x the number of head coaches

Plus there are extra officials who aren't working in any given week

So i wouldn't be surprised if, in an area with 100 schools, there are more than 300 officials

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 12:37:53 PM »
Pun
Of the 52 voters (49 states, DC, Coaches assoc. & Officials assoc.), I believe there are 4 coaches,16 officials and 32 state assoc. reps.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 12:56:32 PM »
Interesting. Can you post the coaches results? Interested to see where differences of opinion lie.
Part I : All favored.

Part II: None observed, closest was 5 yard facemask @49% (same as officials).

Part III : No IG if QB outside of FBZ & pass over LOS @72%
              Spike from shotgun @ 70%
              AFD on DPI @ 64%
              BPF = AFD 79%
              1" halftime if weather delay @90%

Coaches voting........

Kentucky                  306
        Illinois                      255
        Iowa                         228 

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 01:30:53 PM »
I would be interested in knowing what, if any, influence the questionnaire responses will have on the rules committee.  In prior years, has there been any significant correlation between the questionnaire responses and the actual subsequent rule changes?
We are given the results of the questionnaire items as we debate the proposals. It helps to show the support -or lack thereof - for the proposed rule changes and influence the votes of some undecided. Where we can now vote, we all have a voice. Prior to 2005 if a questionnaire item had 50%+ favorable, it would automatically go the floor for a final vote regardless of the sub-committee's recommendation. The votes were limited with each state allowed a number of votes per the number of schools that played football - sorta' like our Electorial College. I feel our current way is more fair.