Author Topic: Extend the game?  (Read 2701 times)

Offline SeattleRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Extend the game?
« on: October 11, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »
4 seconds left A down by 3pts.
They line up for a FG.

Bad snap, backwards pass to kicker, legal forward pass to eligible receiver, clock hits 0, B sideline runs onto the field celebrating, backward pass to lineman, fumble and loose ball rolling around, finally recovered by A.

BJ had a flag on B sideline for coming onto the field. They didn't necessarily effect the play but he said they made it out past the numbers and at least one out to the hash.

Crew discussed for a while. Decided that UNS would not extend game and in effect wouldn't be assessed.  Illegal Participation was the call and extended for one untimed down. A made the FG. B ended up winning in overtime, so regardless no harm was done other than some extra excitement, time, and high blood pressure.

Reading the rule book "nonplayer fouls" do not extend. Does that include Illegal participation by the bench?  The casebook doesn't seem to help much either.  It would seem to read that if as time expired a coach (or the Stanford band) came onto the field and made a "game saving" tackle that the period would not be extended.  Granted the R always has the ability to award the score in that situation.  Curious what you all would have had and how you would have handled it. Obviously according to B's coach it was the worst call that he'd ever seen in a football game.  ::) aWaRd

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
Re: Extend the game?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »
9-6-4a is enforced as a live ball foul (by rule), not a non player foul, even if the infraction is by a "coach, athletic trainer or other team attendant". The fact that the foul was committed by "non players" is not relevant in this case.

It would be a nonplayer foul if they were outside the team box, but NOT on the field (violating 9-8-1k).

Offline xkath

• FAN REACTION: +3/-8
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 01:53:12 PM »
This more closely is a 9-8-1i (2017 rulebook) situation -- "being on the field except as a substitute or replaced player." It's a live-ball foul enforced as a dead-ball foul so no extension of the period. There was no participation or influencing of the play as stated.

Offline rickyss10

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 03:45:58 PM »
3-7-6

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 04:05:28 PM »
It would seem to read that if as time expired a coach (or the Stanford band) came onto the field and made a "game saving" tackle that the period would not be extended.  Granted the R always has the ability to award the score in that situation.  Curious what you all would have had and how you would have handled it. Obviously according to B's coach it was the worst call that he'd ever seen in a football game.  ::) aWaRd

9-8-1i says that anyone who is on the field is guilty of Non-contact unsportsmanlike conduct (i.e. enforced as a dead ball, don't repeat the play)

However, 9-6 Illegal Participation is a live-ball basic spot when 9-6-3 'No replaced player, substitute, coach, athletic trainer or other attendant shall hinder an opponent, touch the ball, influence the play or otherwise participate'.

So if the band comes onto the field, but does NOT hinder play, we use 9-8-1i and do not extend the game. If the band comes onto the field and tackles the ball carrier, we use 9-6-3 and extend the game by a play, or we could award a score.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 05:24:21 PM »
9-8-1i says that anyone who is on the field is guilty of Non-contact unsportsmanlike conduct (i.e. enforced as a dead ball, don't repeat the play)

9-8-1i specifically *excludes* being on the field -- nonplayers out of the team box, but NOT on the field.

Wait, no, ignore me -- that's 9-8-1k, not i...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 08:32:35 PM by ncwingman »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 10:01:46 AM »
Welcome, SeattleRef, to the forum. I hope you'll find it both enjoyable and informative. The key here is did the on-field celebrating players have any influence on the play. Contact isn't necessary for IP, for if any of the opponents reacted to their presence ,it could be called. IP = untimed down, USC = game over.