Author Topic: Moving to umpire  (Read 10495 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Moving to umpire
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2018, 03:29:54 PM »
As long as we get the ball to the right succeeding spot, how it gets done doesn't really matter.  We've always just done the math, then hustled to the succeeding spot and spotted the ball.  But, always have the H checking the math and the spot, and the L holding the enforcement spot until the enforcement is complete and correct.

Robert

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 04:53:52 PM »
There may be "Endless" ways to "skin a cat", whose effectiveness is determined by the results they produce, which in this instance seems to be arriving at the correct succeeding spot as promptly, convincingly, effortlessly, with an absolute absence of confusion, delay or any form of unnecessary consternation or concern.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 05:07:59 PM »
As long as we get the ball to the right succeeding spot, how it gets done doesn't really matter.  We've always just done the math, then hustled to the succeeding spot and spotted the ball.  But, always have the H checking the math and the spot, and the L holding the enforcement spot until the enforcement is complete and correct.

Robert
Yeah but whenever I see a guy stepping off each year (5 10 or 15) I think he must not be paying attention to how we teach this. What else doesn't he know?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 06:45:35 PM »
Yeah but whenever I see a guy stepping off each year (5 10 or 15) I think he must not be paying attention to how we teach this. What else doesn't he know?

Very legitimate concern, and a universal issue, I’m afraid.  We just keep trying to show the best techniques, and hope for the best.

Robert

Offline blandis

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2018, 06:22:19 AM »
Busting your BUTT and being the lynch pin of the entire crew will make you a good umpire. Be more than a glorified ball spotter. Run to the sidezones, or sideline, as needed. Get the ball spotted within 5-7 seconds of it becoming dead. Communicate situations with your white hat constantly. You should be the one doing most of the running on the crew. Get into good physical shape. Be great with the basics. Develop a raport with the players as best as possible. Reason with them as opposed to dictate. Clearly explain enforcements to the R before you go and march off. If something is wrong, fix it! Support your crew when the play is not in your area. The best compliment I received was after working a state title game and being told I was the rock of the crew.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2018, 04:51:58 PM »
Before we leave the locker room our U leads us through a head to toe equipment check; hat, whistle, pencil, game card, belt, flag, bean bag, Ready Ref, coin, shoes tied, check your zipper.

Which one do you think is most often forgotten? 

Offline Bigfrizz81

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2018, 10:26:58 PM »
Before we leave the locker room our U leads us through a head to toe equipment check; hat, whistle, pencil, game card, belt, flag, bean bag, Ready Ref, coin, shoes tied, check your zipper.

Which one do you think is most often forgotten?

Definitely the zipper.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 11:19:11 AM »
All great advice, but one tidbit that we all failed to mention is tracking where the previous spot was. For incomplete passes and previous spot enforcement, this is necessary. Using a downs counter band will do with your 5 fingers (4 & thumb -see previous post) dividing the previous spot between the hash marks. We Mainers have the ability of using the rubber bands they place over a lobster's claws that prevents them from biting their new owner 8].

Offline markrischard

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 11:39:46 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I will be umpiring this year, as our regular is sitting out most of the season.
Lobsters bite with their claws?

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 09:14:59 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I will be umpiring this year, as our regular is sitting out most of the season.
Lobsters bite with their claws?

Lobsters pinch with their claws and they will want to pinch you as you want to drop them into a kittle of boiling water. I prefer NOT to be the killer....only the eater.

eAt& eAt& eAt& eAt& eAt& (5-man crew)

Offline UmpHawk

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • I am proud to wear the stripes.
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »
- Keep your head on a swivel.
- Know penalty administration.
- Let your presence be known. A lot of yapping and trouble can start in the middle - nip it in the bud.
- Talk to the players. Let them know "That was close to being late" or "Watch your hands".
- Hustle.
- We have radios. I communicate with R a lot. I let him know after every 1st down if we have a hot clock or dead clock.
- Inside the 10, don't stand on the goal line. Cheat up or back, whatever the case may be.
- Don't over-officiate. Preventative officiating takes care of a lot.
- Have fun - U is the best position to work.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2018, 02:46:51 PM »
- I communicate with R a lot. I let him know after every 1st down if we have a hot clock or dead clock.

This is especially helpful to me after penalty administration.  After I signal to the press box, I always find myself asking "Are we hot, or not?"  Maybe it's because I'm getting old.   8]