Author Topic: BSB v BIB  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
BSB v BIB
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:33:01 PM »
Apologize if this was discussed in another thread, I don't recall it or saw it.  Was thinking of this the other day and thought it might be good for discussion here.

So by definition a Block in Back is most likely to also be a Blindside Block.  Does the judgement of forceful contact the trigger as to whether you penalize 10 or 15?

This is the conclusion I reached...if it's a run of the mill push in the back I'm going to have a BIB.  If the BIB is delivered with force and not open hands we're going to make it a BSB with 15.

Seems straightforward but thinking through the new rule's implication on this action.
"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: BSB v BIB
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 08:38:47 PM »
Since the block is from behind the focus is elsewhere, but you have to have two more components, forceful and initiated with something other than open hands.  All three have to be there for BSB.  A can run through B's back and knock him flat, but if the contact is initiated with open hands it's still just BIB, 10 yard penalty. Unless B is a defenseless player ...

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 10:22:31 PM »
BIB is explained in NFHS 9-3-5a, including where and when it is permissible. NFHS 9-4-3n explains what is prohibited as a "blindside block" and includes the added detail of "with forceful contact unless initiated with open hands".

The judgment, as to which penalty is appropriate to any specific action,  seems differentiated by the force and manner of the specific contact.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 06:02:19 AM »
Remember the rationale for instituting the BIB vs Clipping, which used to be the foul for any block from behind.

We have always been able to call a forceful block from behind a personal foul, even when above the waist.  The new BSB rule doesn't change that.