Author Topic: You Make the Call  (Read 9995 times)

Offline mccormicw

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
You Make the Call
« on: December 21, 2017, 04:47:43 PM »
 https://youtu.be/cg62zMIgZ74  Make sure you watch in HD.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
Re: You Make the Call
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 05:04:11 PM »
Targeting. Shoulder to the head/neck of a defenseless player

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
You Make the Call
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 05:11:23 PM »
Love the announcement “attacking a defenseless player”. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline first_year_guy

• FAN REACTION: +18/-74
  • call what you see, see what you call
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 05:28:23 PM »
Love the announcement “attacking a defenseless player”. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This dude literally described TGT and then....did not call TGT, wonder what chapter they are from????

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 05:34:55 PM »
Yes it’s targeting. Guess it evens out for Brock since Rockdale was allowed to wear the illegal jerseys.

Offline clearwall

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 05:37:16 PM »
This dude literally described TGT and then....did not call TGT, wonder what chapter they are from????

Both 3A games are done by Houston.

Offline HoustonRef

• FAN REACTION: +16/-207
  • I am HoustonRef 100% Never doubt me
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 05:38:06 PM »
Obviously TGT and this is a Houston crew that worked 33 regular season games and most playoff dates. What was the U doing? This is an absolutely sad display of officiating. Embarrassing for my city!!!

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 05:40:39 PM »
They should be ashamed and demoted back to peewees until they understand an obvious and basic TGT.

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 05:48:45 PM »
Obviously TGT and this is a Houston crew that worked 33 regular season games and most playoff dates. What was the U doing? This is an absolutely sad display of officiating. Embarrassing for my city!!!

Thanks HoustonRef. Appreciate that honesty. It was also a very weak UNS on the interception. Rockdale coach is lived even with a big lead.

Offline mccormicw

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 06:08:58 PM »
Thanks HoustonRef. Appreciate that honesty. It was also a very weak UNS on the interception. Rockdale coach is lived even with a big lead.

The UNS play - https://youtu.be/OmrNQg-h4Xw

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 06:14:04 PM »

Offline clearwall

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 06:21:29 PM »
The UNS play - https://youtu.be/OmrNQg-h4Xw

Terrible call and bad announcement. I threw a flag like this in my 4th or 5th year and got blasted for doing it. In  mine, the player turned around and looked at a guy and pointed upwards. I flagged for taunting and enforced from the 5. Got ripped by my supervisor. This was even more innocuous than that. Clearly just excited to make a play, you gotta leave this alone.

But then the announcement, "Penalty enforced from the DB spot" is wrong. The DB spot is the goalline because this is a scoring play. You're enforcing from the spot of the PENALTY

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 09:10:34 PM »
Terrible call and bad announcement. I threw a flag like this in my 4th or 5th year and got blasted for doing it. In  mine, the player turned around and looked at a guy and pointed upwards. I flagged for taunting and enforced from the 5. Got ripped by my supervisor. This was even more innocuous than that. Clearly just excited to make a play, you gotta leave this alone.

But then the announcement, "Penalty enforced from the DB spot" is wrong. The DB spot is the goalline because this is a scoring play. You're enforcing from the spot of the PENALTY
  It is not a scoring play.  It is a spot foul.  Correctly enforced from the 8 -- the spot of the UNS.  Now I agree this is a suspect call . . . and the announcement was not good . . . but the enforcement at least is correct.

Offline williebe

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 10:44:50 AM »
So I just wonder if the crew will fill out a missapplication of rules?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
So I just wonder if the crew will fill out a missapplication of rules?

Fill out what?  Do you mean an Incident Report?  If so, why?  This was a judgment call, with which folks can agree or disagree.  But it wasn't a misapplication of rule.

Robert

Offline williebe

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »
Robert I was talking about the TGT call. Not the UNS.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 01:06:34 PM »
Robert I was talking about the TGT call. Not the UNS.

10-4.
But even that was judgment.  They judged it to be either a hit on a receiver when the pass is obviously uncatchable (9-1-12), or a late hit.  Should it have been targeting? That's debatable (most people seem to think it should have been).  But, again, not a misapplication of a rule.

Robert

Offline Phantomref

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »
I agree that it was targeting. It was also very evident that this kid was seeking to put on a vicious hit that was definitely not necessary.
As for the UNS, that was weak! Take into account the game and to which direction the kid was pointing and let it go.

Offline HOULJ

• FAN REACTION: +3/-5
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 05:11:28 PM »
They should be ashamed and demoted back to peewees until they understand an obvious and basic TGT.
It is such an easy call to make while watching the review on tv. I guess that is why college allowed the review booth to create the penalty or call them off of it. To DQ a player from a game without review would be pretty tough to do unless everyone on the crew agreed that it was targeting.

Offline clearwall

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 06:42:50 PM »
It is such an easy call to make while watching the review on tv. I guess that is why college allowed the review booth to create the penalty or call them off of it. To DQ a player from a game without review would be pretty tough to do unless everyone on the crew agreed that it was targeting.
So, the SJ watching his #1 receiver 20 yards away, FJ watching his #1 20 yards away, the BJ watching #2 30 yards away, R watching the QB, H watching the tackles and the receivers in his area, L watching his receivers. Only the U who is in that area watching the play and throws the flag is the one who sees the hit. But EVERYONE else who is watching something else must come to a unanimous decision to have targeting?

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 08:12:56 PM »
No, there certainly should not be a concensus of all 7 of the crew on this play.  The R should definitely have no idea what is happening downfield.  But, the ball was thrown to the middle third of the field, so it is totally conceivable and quite possible that there could be six sets of eyes on the play.  Since the ball was on a relatively low trajectory, the U quite properly had turned to be of help with the catch.  The receiver was #1 to the H side, so he was the S’s key, so the S is definitely on this.  The other receivers were not immediately threatened.  So, when the ball was thrown, all the eyes of the deep guys and wings should go to the intended receiver, unless there is something compelling to keep their attention elsewhere (such as some sort of personal foul action).  So, that is as many as 6 sets of eyes that may have input on the play.  But, in reality, there are usually about 3 guys that actually get a beneficial look at the play.  If I was the R, I would want to get as much input as possible, especially if it might involve a DQ.

On that particular play, in the views provided, we see the U pull his flag, then stuff it back in his belt.  I believe this is because he saw the S toss his flag for the foul, and decided he didn’t need to complete throwing his.  We don’t see the S’s flag, but you can see another official - presumed to be the S, with game card in hand - communicating with the U and R, which, although circumstantial, is pretty conclusive evidence the S threw on this.  So, I don’t believe it was only the U on this call.

Robert

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »
To DQ a player from a game without review would be pretty tough to do unless everyone on the crew agreed that it was targeting.
Lol
I’m guessing you were the L in yesterday’s circus? The U literally pulls his flag out about throws them looks to put it back in his pocket. I’ve DQ’d many a player from a game without replay and they were always CC. It’s not hard if you know what you’re doing.

Offline Redriverref

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 09:33:53 PM »
HoustonRef...................I am sitting in the Man Cave and watching while your bro's are on the field. Good call on my opinion of the call by a Houston crew.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 09:45:07 PM »
I saw the U pull it out as well and put it back in his pocket.  My only concern with that is did he see a foul and was going to throw on it but then saw another official throw and felt he didn't need to.  That is never a good mechanic in my view.  You don't always know what the other flag is being thrown for.

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 10:10:50 PM »
HoustonRef...................I am sitting in the Man Cave and watching while your bro's are on the field. Good call on my opinion of the call by a Houston crew.
Thanks for letting us know where you’re watching the replay of a HS game.

The fact that they had a flag is good but they didn’t make the correct call. It was TGT but they went PF aggressively striking a defenseless player or something. Seemed like they were too scared to properly enforce the foul.