Author Topic: New Rules  (Read 12516 times)

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
New Rules
« on: September 02, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »
Last night, thanks to a knowledgeable coaching staff, I was made aware of some new rules that despite my several years of officiating, I was unaware of:

All passes behind the LOS are "laterals".

#61 can be an eligible receiver as long as he is positioned in the backfield at the snap.

The play clock is 35 seconds, not 25 seconds.

I hope that none of these new rules become topics for the 2018 Part 1 exam!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:37:39 PM by prab »

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: New Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
#61 can be an eligible receiver as long as he is positioned in the backfield at the snap.

Did he report as eligible though?

Offline Ump33

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 12:20:10 PM »
Did he report as eligible though?
no, they broke the huddle 12 and he (#12) went of the field and 61 took his place in the backfield

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
New Rules
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 12:50:43 PM »
" That's the Tight End! In football, the tight end can catch a pass!" Even when he's covered up?!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline J12

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 03:29:25 PM »
Last night, thanks to a knowledgeable coaching staff, I was made aware of some new rules that despite my several years of officiating, I was unaware of:

All passes behind the LOS are "laterals".

The play clock is 35 seconds, not 25 seconds.

I hope that non of these new rules become topics for the 2018 Part 1 exam!

I'm surprised to hear that coaches think things like that, but it's truly staggering the things that a lot of fans believe.   Sitting in the stands, I've had fans explain to me that one about a pass not crossing the line of scrimmage being a "lateral".  I've also seen fans yelling at the members of the chain crew for not throwing the flag on a borderline late hit out of bounds. The best though was listening to 2 fans arguing with one saying that underhand forward passes are illegal ("forward lateral") and the other insisting that they are legal but they are fumbles if they are incomplete.

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 04:01:51 PM »
"All personal fouls are first downs." 

If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »
"That's not your call, even if you saw it, it's not your call!" (HC talking about a rather violent horse collar tackle)

Offline chriscwilson

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 10:53:55 AM »
"If you kick out one of my players, you have to kick out one of theirs to even it out."

Offline prab

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 10:45:05 PM »

I've also seen fans yelling at the members of the chain crew for not throwing the flag on a borderline late hit out of bounds.

Although this is a new one for me, I must admit that it is nice to see the chain crew become the target of some of the flak that is usually directed at the officials.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 12:47:27 PM »
Memories from my last middle school game .......

2 officials.....I was the ref....Smokey was the "all others"....

No kickoffs, the Peanuts just took the ball at their 30; a few plays later they crossed midfield. After the next play, the Peanuts' coach yelled : "TIME, I WANT TO TALK TO WHITEHAT >:( >:( >:(".

I obliged and went to his sidelines...

Coach : " >:( THEY CAN'T DO THAT, THEY JUST CHANGED  THEIR DEFENSE AND THEY CAN'T DO THAT UNTIL WE ARE WITHIN THEIR 30  >:("

Me : " I wasn't aware of that rule :o , how can just two of us call that  ::) ??? :-\ ?"

Coach : "THAT'S WHAT WE PAY YOU FOR  hEaDbAnG hEaDbAnG !"

Me : "The only way you can handle that is to have a gentleman's agreement with the opposing coach yEs:."

Coach : " WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT WE ARE BOTH GENTLEMEN  >:D !"

When the game finally ended and after we got paid...$10 (probably equating to $18 now with inflation), I realized that I had learned three important things :

(1) BE SURE A NEW RULE CAN BE OFFICIATED.

(2) BE SURE YOU KNOW THE RULES THAT YOU'RE PLAYING BY.

(3) DON'T DO ANYMORE MIDDLE SCHOOL  :puke: :puke: :puke: nAnA

Offline prab

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »
After tossing a flag for ineligible downfield, I had the following conversation with a youth league coach:

Coach:  Who was the ineligible downfield?

Me:  #68 coach

Coach:  We don't have a #68

Me:  Coach he is right over there (pointing him out to the coach and while #68 was still about 10 yards past the LOS)

Coach:  Oh, that's our tight end

Conversation was then terminated

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 10:22:39 PM »
After tossing a flag for ineligible downfield, I had the following conversation with a youth league coach:

Coach:  Who was the ineligible downfield?

Me:  #68 coach

Coach:  We don't have a #68

Me:  Coach he is right over there (pointing him out to the coach and while #68 was still about 10 yards past the LOS)

Coach:  Oh, that's our tight end

Conversation was then terminated

Enforcing numbering rules in a youth league? You are a brave man.

Offline prab

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 09:18:31 AM »
Enforcing numbering rules in a youth league? You are a brave man.

It was my first year working youth games.  I was provided with a set of league rules which stated that they used NFHS rules with the following exceptions, which did not include an exception for numbering.  That is when I became aware that "what you see, is NOT always what you get."  I have learned my lesson.   

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 02:23:25 PM »
It was my first year working youth games.  I was provided with a set of league rules which stated that they used NFHS rules with the following exceptions, which did not include an exception for numbering.  That is when I became aware that "what you see, is NOT always what you get."  I have learned my lesson.

Yeah, I learned that lesson the first time I read a set of those youth rules and realized they clearly didn't know the rules to start with.

Like yours, "NFHS rules EXCEPT -- 1) Each team gets 3 timeouts per half." -- how is that an exception?

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 10:17:40 PM »
1st and Goal on B4. Offensive brings in their heavy formation with A52 as the running back. A12 hands off to A52 who proceeds to push his way through the line for a touchdown. B's coach is screaming "52 can't run the ball, he didn't report." I am not sure what he was supposed to report about.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 07:44:41 AM »
On the new rules meetings with our coaches....

Most pay attention , some choose to sleep with their eyes open. When discussing the now illegal pop-up kick, one such from the latter group jumped to his feet and asked:

"BUT AS LONG AS IT GOES 10 YARDS, IT'S OK, RIGHT!!"

NO!!!

:puke: ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :puke:

Offline prab

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »
I guess that I am not to old to learn something new.

Lineman A66, who is smaller than lineman B77, grabs B77's jersey front with both hands.  A66 then falls backwards, pulling down B77.  This occurs at the point of attack for A22's run.  This is a legal "pancake" block.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
New Rules
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »
According to the coach last Friday night, intentional grounding is completely legal if the QB is outside the tackle box. 🤦‍♂️

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 05:26:30 PM »
According to the coach last Friday night, intentional grounding is completely legal if the QB is outside the tackle box. 🤦‍♂️

But only if the ball is uncatchable. hEaDbAnG

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »
Hardly a "new" rule, but from my friday game -- 3rd and goal, A attempts a slant route and the LB just knocks the receiver down as the ball goes whizzing by -- easiest DPI ^flag ever.

Then five minutes to explain to A's coach why that's not a 1st down. I don't think we ever really convinced him.

Also, is it just me or is every live ball defensive penalty (not simultaneous with the snap) in the NFL an automatic first down?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 11:44:11 AM »
..is it just me or is every live ball defensive penalty (not simultaneous with the snap) in the NFL an automatic first down?
The NFL stresses offense. More auto firsts equates to more offense.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline edtude

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
  • Just a target for Running Backs and Tight Ends....
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »
The NFL stresses offense. More auto firsts equates to more offense.

Along those very same lines I was told Saturday by a youth coach that I "robbed" his team of a first down because that horse collar inside his opponents 10 yard line should have resulted in an automatic first down. I tried to calmly explain to the coach that we do not play by NFL rules and that yardage usually gets you a first down but since it was 3rd and goal bummer for you --of course I said it much nicer! After his team failed to score and the ball was turned over on downs he come running down the sideline IPad in hand screaming "here it is online it says automatic first down!" I asked him if he was on NFL.com, he looked and said yes. I said you play by NFHS rules coach. Did not satisfy them at all was told I would be on the "Monday Report" and my last words on the subject were "I will be at the Monday Meeting!"

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 11:04:51 AM »
Difference between "Ignorant" and "Stupid":  Ignorant can often be eliminated by simply providing the necessary additional detail to explain, and understand.  Stupid is an entirely different matter, and can last forever.

Offline prab

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 03:54:02 PM »
Difference between "Ignorant" and "Stupid":  Ignorant can often be eliminated by simply providing the necessary additional detail to explain, and understand.  Stupid is an entirely different matter, and can last forever.

+1 for AL

Remember what that great American philosopher Ron White said, "You can't fix stupid."  (or something reasonably close to that)

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 01:16:38 AM »

Stupid is as Stupid does! - Forrest; Forrest Gump
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum