Author Topic: PSK spot when Team B recovers in Team A's end zone?  (Read 2524 times)

Offline #92

• FAN REACTION: +3/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
PSK spot when Team B recovers in Team A's end zone?
« on: October 05, 2017, 08:48:22 AM »
At the bottom one of Rom's quiz plays. But it got me thinking... I altered it a bit, and am curious what the enforcement would be of the following:

PLAY: 4th/17 A13. A4's punt is blocked and hits on A's 16. The ball takes a reverse bounce and is rolling on A's 8 when B86, while trying to recover, accedentally kicks the ball the ball into A's end zone. In the end zone, B97 bats the ball away from A8 and subsequently B44 recovers in A's end zone.

PSK would apply, but what would be the post-scrimmage kick spot? A's goal line? Would then the next play be B: 1/G A-10 (25-snap)?

The originals:
PLAY: 4th/17 A13. A4's punt is blocked and hits on A's 16. The ball takes a reverse bounce and is rolling on A's 8 when B96 bats the ball into A's end zone. B97 recovers in A's end zone.
http://www.romgilbert.us/q-1705q.htm

1. RULING: B 1/10 A18. Team B committed an illegal batting foul by batting the loose ball forward during a scrimmage kick. The ball crossed the neutral zone. The foul occurs before the end of the kick. Team B will next put the ball in play. That's postscrimmage kick enforcement folks! The fact that Team B imparted new impetus to the grounded loose ball is not relevant since Team B recovered the ball in A's end zone.
http://www.romgilbert.us/q-1705a.htm

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: PSK spot when Team B recovers in Team A's end zone?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:43:36 AM »
Where else could it be enforced from than the goal line? Goal line is specified as the enforcement spot for other situations, so I don't have a problem using the goal line as the end of the kick spot in PSK enforcement.

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 10:39:32 AM »
Same. 2-25-11 does not define the postscrimmage kick spot when the kick ends in Team A's end zone, so I'm going with the goal line.

That is consistent with how the rules treat every other spot that's actually in the end zone. 10-2-2-d-2-c is the closest comparison: 3 and 1 enforcement, end of the run in B's end zone, spot of the foul in B's end zone... 10-2-2-d-2-c treats both the flag and the end of the run as if they were on the goal line. Likewise in your situation, I'd treat the end of the kick as if it were on the goal line too.

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 03:09:58 PM »
In NFHS, the foul must be beyond NZ for PSK. From the looks of this thread, that's not the case in college?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 03:21:52 PM »
No NCAA specification for the location of the foul.  There was, at one time, but no longer.
Robert