Author Topic: Overtime.....anyone ???  (Read 5667 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Overtime.....anyone ???
« on: June 30, 2021, 07:02:25 AM »
Over the years we have discussed many topics that are state specific. How much do we get paid, how playoff officials are chosen and how large are our crews, to name only a few. Rule 1-7 is considered the "state's rights" rule, and #8 gives  each state the option to make up their own. The preamble to RESOLVING TIED GAMES states : "This procedure may be accepted as written, amended, or rejected, in whole or part, by each member state association."

We Mainers, not caring to reinvent the wheel, have always applied the NFHS suggestion. My understanding is that there are several states that differ. I/we would be interested in hearing how your state handles OT and any overtime experiences you may have had or seen.

:) P_S ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8] ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-*

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 07:04:02 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Overtime.....anyone ???
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 08:27:41 AM »
PA is by the book.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 08:51:41 AM »
MASSACHUSETTS:  From the MIAA Handbook:

69.3 MIAA Tie-Breaker

69.3.1  The MIAA Football Tie-Breaker Rule, multiple overtime periods: will ensure that the game will not end in a tie.

69.3.1.1  Additional overtime periods will be used if teams are tied at the end of regulation or succeeding overtime periods.

69.3.1.2  Each series shall begin at the ten-yard line unless a penalty overrides. First down chains will not be used. It is always goal-to-go. If penalty enforcement calls for an automatic first down, it will be first and goal.

69.3.1.3  For the first and subsequent tie breaking periods, any team that scores a touchdown must attempt a two point conversion by run or pass from scrimmage.

69.3.1.4  If there is a change of team possession during the last play of an overtime period (second series), live ball personal fouls or live ball unsportsmanlike conduct fouls by opponents of the team last gaining possession, that occur after the change of possession, gives the team in possession the option of putting the ball in play, where the penalty leaves the ball, for one down free of penalty or penalize as a dead ball foul at the succeeding spot in the subsequent overtime period. This option is exercised only if
the team last gaining possession is free of foul during the down.

Example:  Second Series -Team B intercepts Team A's pass and, during Team B's run back, Team A commits a personal foul.Ruling: Team B has the option of extending the overtime period for one down free of penalty, with Team B putting the ball in play where the penalty leaves the ball, provided Team B has not fouled during the down. Or Team B may choose to penalize as a dead ball foul at the succeeding spot in the subsequent overtime period.

MIAA Handbook July 1, 2019 –June 30, 2021
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 09:10:47 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 09:29:24 AM »
Illinois is by the book.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 11:00:50 AM »
Thanks, guys, for your input. NVFOA Ump, when Mass was playing NCAA rules, did you guys use your posted procedure?

Over the years I've worked several OT games, but two always come to mind :

SCENE : Mid-70's, playoff, 1st day of deer hunting in November,rain,snow,sleet=mud. I was the ump .

Field was a mud bowl from the start and got worse. Ump's job is keeping the ball dry - my job that day was just finding the ball in the mud  :o ! Game was scoreless and into OT - SIX  of them :!#. One team had an excellent FG kicker, but he couldn't plant his plant-foot , and shanked 3 in the first 3 OTs. We changed ends of field after each OT -many hunters, with their orange vests, would sprint to the opposite end as each OT ended. More exercise than many had had in a long time ;D. Finally, in OT 6, a couple of defenders slipped & fell as a runner sloshed into the endzone. yEs:
Gloves were only for sissies back then, and my hands were frozen  :'(.

EPILOGUE: The white hat stopped at a store and bought each of us a pint of --not koolaide.Fall sports were never postponed back then. The following morning, the statewide paper had a picture on it's front page of a girl cross-country runner winning the state championship. Tears were frozen on her cheeks and mud was frozen on her legs.....NOW FALL SPORTS CAN BE POSTPONED. yEs:

SCENE : New head coach - promoted when old was fired a few days before. He told me in pregame: "I don't know much about the rules ,so I might ask some stupid questions. :-\." I told him that I'd try to answer.

The game was tied. During our 3-minute wait for  the OT coin-toss , he asked me to explain the procedure. I explained the options.
COACH : "If we win the toss, which is the best ??? "
ME : "I look at it like a baseball game, if you bat last in extra innings, you know what you have to do to win. yEs:"
COACH: "AYUH, 'spect so, that sure makes sense :o !" "Captain, you hear that ? If we win da' toss we wanta' go on offense. :!# "
CAPTAIN to me as we walk to coin-toss : "Ref, that ain't what you told coach was best,ain't it ?"
ME : "Just listen to your coach,son  8]. "

EPILOGUE: New coach's team scored first and held off opponents to win. I don't wanta' be a coach. ;D  t][/color
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 02:54:07 PM by Ralph Damren »

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 11:58:27 AM »
NC is by the book.

Offline Badger1

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 03:51:09 PM »
Wisconsin uses the College Overtime procedure.  We start at the 25 yardline.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 05:12:12 PM »
Thanks, guys, for your input. NVFOA Ump, when Mass was playing NCAA rules, did you guys use your posted procedure?

Yes we did.  The procedure in the MIAA handbook has been virtually unchanged for 7 or more years now.  The only "slight" change was that the try after TD was changed from 1 point in 1st overtime series, then 2 points for any additional overtime series, to a mandatory 2 point try for all TD's.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 06:17:19 PM »
Over the years we have discussed many topics that are state specific. How much do we get paid, how playoff officials are chosen and how large are our crews, to name only a few. Rule 1-7 is considered the "state's rights" rule, and #8 gives  each state the option to make up their own. The preamble to RESOLVING TIED GAMES states : "This procedure may be accepted as written, amended, or rejected, in whole or part, by each member state association."

We Mainers, not caring to reinvent the wheel, have always applied the NFHS suggestion. My understanding is that there are several states that differ. I/we would be interested in hearing how your state handles OT and any overtime experiences you may have had or seen.

:) P_S ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8] ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-*

GHSA OVERTIME PROCEDURE
1.    There will be a 3-minute intermission between the end of regulation play and the coin toss to start the overtime procedure.

2.    The captains will meet for the coin toss, and the winner may choose one of the following:
(a)   Be on offense first
(b)   Be on defense first
(c)   Choose the end of the field on which to play.

3.    The ball is placed on the 15-yard line and the offense keeps the ball until:
(a)   The ball is turned over on downs  (NOTE:  The team on offense can gain a first down.)
(b)   The defense gains possession of the ball (ball is dead immediately)
(c)   The offense scores a touchdown or field goal
(d)   The offense misses a field goal.

4.    After the first offensive team completes its possession, the opposing team gets its opportunity from the 15-yardline.

5.    If  the  game  remains  tied  after  each  team  has  had  an  offensive  possession,  there  will  be  a  2-minute intermission and the team that lost the first coin toss has the first option for the second possession.

6.    For each additional overtime period (i.e., an offensive possession by each team) the original coin toss options are alternated.

7.    Beginning with the third overtime period, a team must attempt a 2-point try after a touchdown.

8.    Each team is allowed one timeout per overtime period. No timeouts may be carried over from regulation play.

9.    Penalty enforcement is handled the same way in overtime as in regulation play.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 06:50:00 AM »
Alabama is by the book.

Offline toma

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 07:45:24 AM »
Also in Mass, During over time:  The two point try ends if the defending team gains possession. The try is over.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 08:19:13 AM »
By the book in Mississippi.  tiphat:

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 05:48:06 PM »
Ohio starts 1st & 10 at the 20
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 11:17:24 PM »
VA and MD are by the book. In DC, overtime starts with a coin toss, and then teams start 1/10 from the 20. If one series for both teams does not break the tie, then there is another series, also 1/10 from the 20. If a 3rd overtime series is needed, there is another coin toss, and overtime continues 1/goal from the 10. After that, there are overtime series as needed from the 10 until a winner is determined.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2021, 02:05:10 PM »
Michigan by the book

Offline blandis

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2021, 06:03:09 PM »
In California for regular season games it depends on which of the 12-sections the home team is in. Here in the Central Section (Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield) each team gets a turn 1st and 10 at the 25-yard line, they must go for a two-point Try in the 2nd Overtime and beyond. In the State Regional and State Finals, they go strictly by the NFHS's 1st and Goal from the 10-yard line example.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 02:41:14 PM »
SUMMARY, SO FAR...…

FOLLOWS NFHS : ME, PA, IL, NC, AL, MISS, VA, MD, ARK. FL.                           DON'T ; MA,WISC, GA, OHIO, DC, CA,ORE, NY

…..18 IN AND 32 TO GO  yEs:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:49:06 PM by Ralph Damren »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 03:11:11 PM »
SUMMARY, SO FAR...…

FOLLOWS NFHS : ME, PA, IL, NC, AL, MISS, VA, MD.

DON'T ; MA,WISC, GA, OHIO, DC, CA.

…..14 IN AND 36 TO GO  yEs:

You mean 35 to Go?   ;D

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2021, 04:34:30 PM »
You mean 35 to Go?   ;D

Including DC, there are 51 states, Jason. Didn't you know that?  >:D
Take out Texas, and that leaves 50 NF states. So, his math was politically correct (at least as some folks would have it).

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2021, 07:41:38 PM »
While D.C. isn't a state (yet), it has voting rights in NFHS and runs its own football programs. Texas, being an NCAA state, I assumed used their OT procedure. Do they, Texas guys ?

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2021, 09:10:44 PM »
While D.C. isn't a state (yet), it has voting rights in NFHS and runs its own football programs. Texas, being an NCAA state, I assumed used their OT procedure. Do they, Texas guys ?

Yes, Texas uses NCAA rules for overtime as written.  Sixman football has it's own variation.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2021, 05:32:10 AM »
NFHS OT TEST....

All plays are goal-to-go, but a team can obtain a new series in two ways. One is the awarded first down on roughing fouls by B. What is the other  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? (5-man crew)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2021, 06:34:12 AM »
A double change of possession.  ex:  B intercepts, fumbles during return, A recovers.  A ball 1st & 10 at the DB spot barring penalty.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2021, 06:45:39 AM »
A double change of possession.

Ball is dead as soon as B possesses in NFHS format.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2021, 06:49:55 AM »
NFHS OT TEST....

All plays are goal-to-go, but a team can obtain a new series in two ways. One is the awarded first down on roughing fouls by B. What is the other  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? (5-man crew)

Blocked/missed FG touched by R past the NZ & recovered by K?