Author Topic: Frustrating game last night...  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
Frustrating game last night...
« on: August 27, 2021, 01:44:11 PM »
I was REALLY off my game on the play clock last night. Was too inconsistent and kept forgetting to set the play clock to 25 seconds on punt plays.
The inconsistency was exasperated by the crew I was working with, who wanted me to run the play clock with a quick tempo, which I did to the best of my ability.

I know it is the first game of the season, but I was hard on myself, especially since I know I can run the play clock well. Maybe I shouldn't have been, as I am sure we all, regardless if we are on the field or up in the pressbox running the clocks, have bugs to iron off.

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Frustrating game last night...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 02:36:49 PM »
You'll get into a good rhythm.  I had a JV game last night, no idea who was on the clock, but there was a scrimmage kick at the beginning of Q2 (10:00 showing) and at the end of the kick, fumble, and subsequent recovery, it was showing 9:59.

Offline Official_21

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 03:02:23 PM »
You'll get into a good rhythm.  I had a JV game last night, no idea who was on the clock, but there was a scrimmage kick at the beginning of Q2 (10:00 showing) and at the end of the kick, fumble, and subsequent recovery, it was showing 9:59.
How did that work  ??? Clock should have been running until one of the officials signals the ball dead, that much I do know :)

What did you do? Just get on with the game?

Online dammitbobby

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 11:16:28 PM »
Yep. Was a freshman or sophomore B team game, not much we can do besides carry on.

Offline Official_21

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 08:18:28 AM »
You'll get into a good rhythm.
I did do better on my Friday game, the R at that game gave me a subtle hint as to when he wanted the play clock started.

The thing that is throwing me off a little bit, is how do I know if a team is going to punt or run a play on 4th down, I try to anticipate, but sometimes, my anticipation is wrong and I set the play clock to 40 when it should be at 25 and vice versa.

Online dammitbobby

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 11:14:17 AM »
I did do better on my Friday game, the R at that game gave me a subtle hint as to when he wanted the play clock started.

The thing that is throwing me off a little bit, is how do I know if a team is going to punt or run a play on 4th down, I try to anticipate, but sometimes, my anticipation is wrong and I set the play clock to 40 when it should be at 25 and vice versa.

I'm not a clock expert but shouldn't the PC value (25/40) be determined from the outcome of the previous play, not the anticipated one? 

Offline Snapper

• FAN REACTION: +14/-2
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »

Is there an UIL exception or something that dictates 25 vs 40 based on whether the next play will be a punt or run?  Because that's not an issue in straight NCAA rules, so it seems kind of weird to me if they do that.

Offline Official_21

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 02:40:54 PM »
I'm not a clock expert but shouldn't the PC value (25/40) be determined from the outcome of the previous play, not the anticipated one?
I am not sure either :)

This is only my third year running the clock and I am by no means an expert on anything clock  ;D

Online dammitbobby

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 03:14:45 PM »
pm me your email, I've got a doc I put together (and another one I found) covering all things clock related.

Offline Official_21

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 03:33:14 PM »
pm me your email, I've got a doc I put together (and another one I found) covering all things clock related.
Sent.

Offline Official_21

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 03:43:23 PM »

AHA! That's what threw me off on my list. I had a 4th down punt play at 25 seconds...so on 4th down, regardless if it is a punt or regular play, it is still set to 40 secs?

Online dammitbobby

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 03:51:26 PM »
The type of upcoming scrimmage play is immaterial to the clock - what matters is the action preceding it - so yes, on 4th down it is set to 40, unless there is an interruption in play on the previous play, such as penalty administration, timeout, offensive helmet off, etc.  (An incomplete pass does not count as interruption of play, nor does the runner going OOB. It must be some kind of administrative stoppage.)

Online dammitbobby

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 03:56:55 PM »
Just realized I need to update, with 10 second runoff signal.  I'll resend when I get that done.