Author Topic: Studying for the 2020-21 NFHS Test  (Read 276 times)

Offline Bruisbe

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Studying for the 2020-21 NFHS Test
« on: September 13, 2021, 08:57:25 AM »
Good Morning Everyone. I joined this forum so I could ask this question specifically.

I am currently studying for the NFHS officials test for the IHSA. There is one question on the practice test that I am having trouble with finding a clear answer to in either the rule book or the case book.

Q: A80 runs a long pass pattern down the sideline and does not return to the teams huddle, remaining outside the 9-yard marks after the ready for play. On the next play A80 catches a pass. What is the correct call.

Anything that I am seeing as it relates to inside or outside the 9-yard marks are related to substitutions and conferences. Illegal participation included, however nothing within illegal participation fits that description.

I think this is a legal play, as I dont see anything that says they must huddle after every play (think hurry-up offense).

Potential Answers:
A. Legal Play
B. Illegal participation - Cant be this because he was a part of the last play and was not subbed for. Assuming he is on the proper line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped, which would be offsides if he is not.
C. Illegal Formation - Question doesnt state where he lined up, so I have to assume that he is in the proper spot.
D. Unsportsman like conduct - What??? lol.

I appreciate the clarification to make sure I am interpreting this correctly.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +108/-15
Re: Studying for the 2020-21 NFHS Test
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 12:34:40 PM »
It is Illegal Formation- see 7-2- ART. 1 . . .After the ball is marked ready for play, each player of A who participated in the previous down and each substitute for A must have been, momentarily, between the 9-yard marks, before the snap.

It would be better to ask NFHS related questions in the NFHS forum for future reference.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:01:22 AM by HLinNC »

Offline Bruisbe

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Studying for the 2020-21 NFHS Test
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 07:49:44 AM »
Thank you for the information and response! That was something that I missed! I appreciate the specific reference as well!

Also thank you for the comment about the specific forum. I am new here and didnt see that one specifically, so I appreciate the direction!