Author Topic: Tricks and Tips for a blowout game...  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
Tricks and Tips for a blowout game...
« on: September 14, 2021, 08:16:29 AM »
So my two games last Thursday & Friday were blowouts.
I constantly had to tell myself to not get complacent, as I knew I still had a job to do.
Just because it is the "pre-season" it doesn't mean that it is time for me to "switch off" as a clock operator, more so since I always strive to do my best for every game that I am assigned to.

Does anyone have any tips for me on how to cope with a blowout game?

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Tricks and Tips for a blowout game...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 08:45:06 AM »
First and foremost, I'd talk to the whitehat and see what he wants to do - if it's bad enough, they may go to a semi-rolling clock (not running nonstop, but he's rolling it early and stopping it late to shave time, a few seconds here and there, and close calls on sidelines are always inbounds.)  No one wants to see kids get hurt in a contest that's not even close, so from that perspective, it makes sense for him to use good judgement and end the game as quickly as possible.

I despise running the clock nonstop, particularly at lower levels, because it deprives kids of the time they are entitled to, to play.  They've worked hard to be ready for that game, and it chafes me when we take that away from them, especially at the youth football levels, just so we can get done early and go home.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 09:09:50 AM »

Does anyone have any tips for me on how to cope with a blowout game?

As a "Timer/Clock Operator" your responsibility is to follow the direction (signals) of the field official's instructions.  Hopefully any decisions on altering the pace of play would include some prior consultation between Game Officials and BOTH teams based on the safety considerations related to the disparity in ability between teams rather than ANY interest in "getting done early & going home".
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:49:35 AM by Grant - AR »

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 09:20:34 AM »
As a "Timer/Clock Operator" your responsibility is to follow the direction (signals) of the field official's instructions.  Hopefully any decisions on altering the pace of play would include some prior consultation between Game Officials and BOTH teams based on the safety considerations related to the disparity in ability between teams rather than ANY interest in "getting done early & going home".
Actually that is what happened at my game last Thursday..at half time, even though I was the play clock operator, I went down to talk to the R to get feedback about how I was doing, since the score was 42-0 by then, I asked about a running clock. He told me the AD (Not sure if it was for the school or school district) agreed to it, but he had to check with the coaches.
About midway through the third quarter, sure enough it was a rolling clock.