Author Topic: Policy/Procedure Question  (Read 1783 times)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Policy/Procedure Question
« on: September 20, 2021, 07:30:25 AM »
What is the typical FBS policy/procedure when the down number is in question?
What is likely to happen to a crew that shorts a team a down even after consulting replay?

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Policy/Procedure Question
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 12:59:49 PM »
What is the typical FBS policy/procedure when the down number is in question?
What is likely to happen to a crew that shorts a team a down even after consulting replay?

There is no sin in interrupting the game to verify the down number. If all 8 need to provide input, great. Just try not to take too long. Come to a conclusion, then the R should announce,"3rd down is correct," and resume the game. If the crew can not come to a positive consensus, better to consult Replay than make a down number error. Screwing up a down may be second only to awarding a score erroneously in terms of the seriousness of errors, but it is a VERY close second, and there will be be consequences. Fired? Depends on the profile of the game. Certainly possible. Suspended? Most likely.

Score, down and time. You just can't screw those things up.

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 01:06:06 PM »
I know it happened this weekend.  What game was it?

Seems like it was a bad weekend for R's in college and pro.   In the Dallas - SD game there was an interception with a defensive PI.  The official threw and blew even though the defensive back was not down by contact.   Like any good R, he administered the penalty and went on about his business.

If the IW had been acknowledged, would the down have to be replayed instead of PI and automatic 1st?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 01:11:05 PM by Covid 22 »

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 01:13:05 PM »

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 01:21:51 PM »
I know it happened this weekend.  What game was it?

Seems like it was a bad weekend for R's in college and pro.   In the Dallas - SD game there was an interception with a defensive PI.  The official threw and blew even though the defensive back was not down by contact.   Like any good R, he administered the penalty and went on about his business.

If the IW had been acknowledged, would the down have to be replayed instead of PI and automatic 1st?

Wrong forum for NFL, but for NCAA, the penalty still gets enforced, including the auto first. (Stopped watchin' the Cowheads when Troy retired.)

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 01:08:29 PM »
This situation made the CFO weekly video. Tough learning moment. Hope they don't get too much 'consequences.' Everybody has to be paying attention, including replay, at all times. Never be afraid to question the down number (or anything else, for that matter), if there is any question in your mind. They could have fixed it, all the way up until the ball was snapped for the first down of the next series. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.
Let us all learn this lesson.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 06:42:54 PM »
Remember this? 

'It's a robbery.' 30 years ago, Colorado beat Mizzou on a 5th down

This is the reason everyone wears a wrist down marker. Any doubt, stop and check .......

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 07:50:17 PM »
Agreed. If I hear the coach in my sideline questioning the down, if I have any doubt whatsoever, I’m checking with the crew to confirm. Too important to mess that up.