Football Officiating > National Federation Discussion

scrimmage kick--fg attempt

<< < (2/13) > >>

dch:
What about illegal position (K had 5 in backfield) on missed 3rd down field goal.  Is that penalty "tacked on" after the touchback?

Derek Teigen:

--- Quote from: dch on October 05, 2021, 12:42:10 PM ---What about illegal position (K had 5 in backfield) on missed 3rd down field goal.  Is that penalty "tacked on" after the touchback?

--- End quote ---

I think they would have to decline the penalty to take possession.

CalhounLJ:

--- Quote from: dch on October 05, 2021, 12:42:10 PM ---What about illegal position (K had 5 in backfield) on missed 3rd down field goal.  Is that penalty "tacked on" after the touchback?

--- End quote ---
Yes they may tack this penalty on. Any foul by K during a kicking down may be enforced from the succeeding spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek Teigen:

--- Quote from: CalhounLJ on October 05, 2021, 01:56:49 PM ---Yes they may tack this penalty on. Any foul by K during a kicking down may be enforced from the succeeding spot.

--- End quote ---

Calhoun, remember this is a 3rd down field goal kick.  Wouldn't the succeeding spot be the previous spot (LOS)?  accept penalty and push them back 5 yards or decline penalty and take the ball at their own 20?

CalhounLJ:

--- Quote from: Derek Teigen on October 05, 2021, 02:04:43 PM ---Calhoun, remember this is a 3rd down field goal kick.  Wouldn't the succeeding spot be the previous spot (LOS)?

--- End quote ---
No. Once the ball is kicked beyond the los and either touched by R or goes oob or becomes dead the series is over for K. The ball belongs to the team in possession at the end of the down. In this case it belongs to R at the 20 because the kick broke the plane of Rís goal line and failed to score.

If A fumbles the snap or or the kick is blocked behind the line and doesnít cross the los, itís fourth down. But otherwise itís no different than a kick on 4th down.

But to clarify, the succeeding spot option is just that- an option. R can choose to go back to previous spot mark off 5 and replay the down. But the down doesnít matter. They could do that on 4th down as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version