Football Officiating > National Federation Discussion

Kicking Game

(1/4) > >>

Derek Teigen:
I wanted to ask if you could confirm my understanding of the following.

1.  On Free Kicks, any ball that crosses the end line is dead, even if R has muffed the ball several times  and K tries to recover but also muffs it into the endzone.  My simple rule of thumb is if the ball is never possessed force is not a factor on balls going into the endzone.

2.  On Scrimmage kicks the ball remains live in R's endzone.  It is a touchback for R no matter who supplies the force if the ball leaves the endzone out of the field of play.

thank you.

CalhounLJ:

--- Quote from: Derek Teigen on October 15, 2021, 09:21:34 AM ---I wanted to ask if you could confirm my understanding of the following.

1.  On Free Kicks, any ball that crosses the end line is dead, even if R has muffed the ball several times  and K tries to recover but also muffs it into the endzone.  My simple rule of thumb is if the ball is never possessed force is not a factor on balls going into the endzone.

2.  On Scrimmage kicks the ball remains live in R's endzone.  It is a touchback for R no matter who supplies the force if the ball leaves the endzone out of the field of play.

thank you.

--- End quote ---
No on number two. A scrimmage kick is dead when it breaks the plane of Rís goal line.

On the force issue, remember force is NOT a factor in kicks going into Rís end zone but IS a factor in kicks going into K end zone. Kicks going into K end zone are NOT dead. They remain live until dead by rule.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek Teigen:

--- Quote from: CalhounLJ on October 15, 2021, 09:24:28 AM ---No on number two. A scrimmage kick is dead when it breaks the plane of Rís goal line.



--- End quote ---

....even if the ball has been muffed by R? or touched by R as in a blocked field goal attempt?

CalhounLJ:

--- Quote from: Derek Teigen on October 15, 2021, 09:35:32 AM ---....even if the ball has been muffed by R? or touched by R as in a blocked field goal attempt?

--- End quote ---
Yes. Muffing doesnít equal possession and a kick remains a kick until itís possessed or becomes dead by rule.

The only thing muffing does is allow K the opportunity to recover the kick in the field of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek Teigen:
ok Calhoun..thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version