Author Topic: Offensive Facemask Enforcement  (Read 1235 times)

Offline BG5

• FAN REACTION: +6/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Offensive Facemask Enforcement
« on: November 13, 2021, 09:51:46 AM »
Gents,

I really appreciate this board.

I witnessed a playoff game where there was two offensive facemask plays and am curious if the enforcement was handled correctly.

Facemask play # 1
1st and 10 from the 30 yard line.  The QB runs for a 5 yard gain and at the 35 yard line the QB grabs the facemask of the defender as a stiff arm type play.  The crew the flag (I believe it was correct call) but they enforced the penatly from the previoius spot so they moved the ball to the 15 yard line and it was 1st and 25 from the 15 yard line.  Is this correct enforcement?

Facemask play # 2
1st and 10 from the 30 yard line.  The QB runs the ball 5 yards back into his own backfield  to the 25 yard line (He is 5 yards behind the LOS) and grabs the facemask of the defender and the crew throws another flag (again appears to be correct call).  They enforced penatly from previous spot so the next play was 1st and 25 from the 15 yard line.  Is this correct enforement?

Offline Bubba Ump

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
Re: Offensive Facemask Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 10:02:41 AM »
Running play:  End of the run / spot of the foul. 

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 02:57:19 PM »
Both of these are running plays so the spot of enforcement would be the end of the run, unless the foul is be the offense behind the end of the run.  Then the enforcement spot would be the spot of the foul.

So neither seems to be correct.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 03:22:25 PM »
What state were these games played in?

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 06:42:39 AM »
What state were these games played in?
If in Texas, under NCAA rules,  #2 would be correct as A fouls behind LOS have previous spot enforcement. If  in #1, the face mask occurred before the end of run, it would become a spot foul and the spot could have been around the LOS.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 05:42:07 PM »
If in Texas, under NCAA rules,  #2 would be correct as A fouls behind LOS have previous spot enforcement. If  in #1, the face mask occurred before the end of run, it would become a spot foul and the spot could have been around the LOS.

A little confusing. The statement said the foul was at the B-35, which is also the end of the run. Yeah, the foul is not beyond the Basic Spot (end of the run), and it is beyond the neutral zone, so, technically, it is penalized from the spot of the foul. Had the stiff arm with a facemask foul occurred behind the NZ, it would be penalized from the previous spot, regardless of the location of the end of the run.
Ironically, I had that exact scenario, myself, night before last. QB rolls out right, and is about 2 yards beyond the NZ when he stiff-arms a tackler, but grasps the facemask of the tackler, then advances another 8 yards. We penailzed 15 yards from the spot of the foul.