Author Topic: NFHS 2023 Rule Changes  (Read 5967 times)

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
NFHS 2023 Rule Changes
« on: January 24, 2023, 06:02:54 PM »

...should be distributed in a Press Release within the next 10 days!   hEaDbAnG

Source: A very reliable one 
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: NFHS 2023 Rule Changes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 06:04:12 AM »
My prediction is by Groundhog Day, depending if said critter see his shadow then  yEs:.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 06:52:11 AM »
From unreliable, unofficial sorces, I have not learned that the UCTHTS (Unoffical Coed Two Hand Touch Society) has not issued the following rule:

THE  >:D GROPE  >:D TOUCH IS HEREBY DECLAIRED AN ILLEGAL , UNWANTED ACT WILL REQUIRE IMMEDIALE DISQUALIFICATION AND UNLIMITED SUSPENSION. STATE STATUTES MAY REQUIRE THE UNWANTED PLAYER TO BE REGISTERED AS A SEX OFFENDER.  P_S SAID RULE WILL BE ENFORCED BEGINING ON 4/1/2023  ^flag.

DON'T WORRY, GUYS, OUR NEW RULES WILL BE HERE SOON  tiphat:

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 09:07:06 AM »
My prediction is by Groundhog Day, depending if said critter see his shadow then  yEs:.
Thanks Ralph. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ted skoundrianos

• FAN REACTION: +3/-6
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 12:27:00 AM »
Ted.S Ralph Damern, If the personal fouls by B that gives A Automatic 1st down in 2023. Do you think they will pass D.P.I automatic 1st in 2024. I like bossman72 D.P.I automatic 1st down spot if less than 15 yards. 15 yards or more previous spot automatic 1st down. Ralph, I know your thoughts about changing encroachment from deadball foul to offsides live ball fouls on scrimmage downs or during free kicks. My wish list for 2024. fouls by K or R can have penalty from previous spot or where the play ends. anyone fouls, on run end behind LOS previous spot. I also would like illegal formation on free kicks to be a live ball foul. On scrimmage down if team A has illegal formation it's a live ball foul.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 08:49:31 AM »
From unreliable, unofficial sorces, I have not learned that the UCTHTS (Unoffical Coed Two Hand Touch Society) has not issued the following rule:

THE  >:D GROPE  >:D TOUCH IS HEREBY DECLAIRED AN ILLEGAL , UNWANTED ACT WILL REQUIRE IMMEDIALE DISQUALIFICATION AND UNLIMITED SUSPENSION. STATE STATUTES MAY REQUIRE THE UNWANTED PLAYER TO BE REGISTERED AS A SEX OFFENDER.  P_S SAID RULE WILL BE ENFORCED BEGINING ON 4/1/2023  ^flag.

DON'T WORRY, GUYS, OUR NEW RULES WILL BE HERE SOON  tiphat:

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

We've never had to deal with comments or complaints like, "He touched me in an inappropriate place!" Will that become commonplace should there become a proliferation of "non-binary" participants? I probably won't have to deal with such. But, I fear for our posterity. :(

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 09:53:52 AM »
We've never had to deal with comments or complaints like, "He touched me in an inappropriate place!" Will that become commonplace should there become a proliferation of "non-binary" participants? I probably won't have to deal with such. But, I fear for our posterity. :(

Really? You've never had a guy come up from the pile and complain that somebody punched them in the nuts?

I mean, I guess that could happen. It's not an 'every game' thing, but usually once or twice a season I have to tell somebody to knock it off.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 11:11:11 AM »
Really? You've never had a guy come up from the pile and complain that somebody punched them in the nuts?

I mean, I guess that could happen. It's not an 'every game' thing, but usually once or twice a season I have to tell somebody to knock it off.

"IF" you choose to respond, "I" didn't see it" usually serves as a discussion ending comment, but if you want you can always add, "but I'll keep an eye out", and if you really want, at some later opportunity, speak directly to that player, privately, "i've been watching".

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
Re: NFHS 2023 Rule Changes (My Date prediction)
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 12:15:17 PM »

I was giving it a 10 day window Ralph, but, since you opened the box and we are predicting dates, I shall predict: "The Day the Music Died!"
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 01:52:58 PM »
I was giving it a 10 day window Ralph, but, since you opened the box and we are predicting dates, I shall predict: "The Day the Music Died!"
May I suggest an honorable wager, the closest to recieves a jar of favorite Koolaide from the furtherest whilw awaiting at the Indy landing strip for chaps from NH, Del and the such to arrive.....

Your post of 1/24 would indicate 2/3 being your choice, while mine being 2/2 aWaRd

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 02:00:35 PM »
Ted.S Ralph Damern, If the personal fouls by B that gives A Automatic 1st down in 2023. Do you think they will pass D.P.I automatic 1st in 2024. I like bossman72 D.P.I automatic 1st down spot if less than 15 yards. 15 yards or more previous spot automatic 1st down. Ralph, I know your thoughts about changing encroachment from deadball foul to offsides live ball fouls on scrimmage downs or during free kicks. My wish list for 2024. fouls by K or R can have penalty from previous spot or where the play ends. anyone fouls, on run end behind LOS previous spot. I also would like illegal formation on free kicks to be a live ball foul. On scrimmage down if team A has illegal formation it's a live ball foul.
Welcome,Ted ,to our forum. May you find it both informative and enjoyable. I can't make comments on possible rule changes that were on the docket, but returning encroachment to live ball offside hasn''t been on the docket for several years. I was working the wing prior to the change in 1975 and was often challanged if the  OL's twitch was caused by DL's lunge into the NZ and would never support a change.

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2023, 06:01:22 PM »
May I suggest an honorable wager, the closest to recieves a jar of favorite Koolaide from the furtherest whilw awaiting at the Indy landing strip for chaps from NH, Del and the such to arrive.....

Your post of 1/24 would indicate 2/3 being your choice, while mine being 2/2 aWaRd

I'll pick 2/6, because that's a Monday.

I'm not big on Kool-aid, but they've got some "mountain dew" round these parts...

Offline ted skoundrianos

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2023, 09:38:50 PM »
Ralph, I know you can't comment on the new rules for 2023. If they pass the personal fouls & unsportmanlike fouls as automatic 1st downs. Would make sense to make D.P.I also automatic 1st since if they pass both of the personal fouls & unsportmanlike conduct fouls as automatic 1st downs since both are 15 yard penalties. Our head football clinican bill laude remembers wen offsides was a rule in high school football. Bill  did varisty basketball, baseball, football in illinois. He did may state finals in Illinois. He floated this idea in 2019 at one of our football association. I think if they change the rule it would speed up the game. Or make one change to the if defense breaks the and get back with out the causing the offense to false start I would be find with that. I would like to see offsides on free-kicks that would eliminated re-kicks. Also to make illegal formation a live ball foul. On offense illegal formation on scrimmage down is live ball. I starting my 39 year as high school football official. Ralph, is there any way you can break the pct of officials and coaches on possible rules changes this year. In the past you posted those pct.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 05:42:14 AM »
Ralph, I know you can't comment on the new rules for 2023. If they pass the personal fouls & unsportmanlike fouls as automatic 1st downs. Would make sense to make D.P.I also automatic 1st since if they pass both of the personal fouls & unsportmanlike conduct fouls as automatic 1st downs since both are 15 yard penalties. Our head football clinican bill laude remembers wen offsides was a rule in high school football. Bill  did varisty basketball, baseball, football in illinois. He did may state finals in Illinois. He floated this idea in 2019 at one of our football association. I think if they change the rule it would speed up the game. Or make one change to the if defense breaks the and get back with out the causing the offense to false start I would be find with that. I would like to see offsides on free-kicks that would eliminated re-kicks. Also to make illegal formation a live ball foul. On offense illegal formation on scrimmage down is live ball. I starting my 39 year as high school football official. Ralph, is there any way you can break the pct of officials and coaches on possible rules changes this year. In the past you posted those pct.
Are you talking about illegal formation on free kicks? Because illegal formation on scrimmage downs is already live ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 06:17:33 AM »

Yes, but I’m not talking about a punch in the nuts to inflict pain. I’m talking about something more akin to the old expression, “copping a feel.” Can’t find that in the rules, anywhere.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2023, 08:32:45 AM »
My recollection is the basis for "illegal formation" for free kicks being a dead ball foul is for safety related reasons.  The NF didn't want the overloaded side to complete the play so we are to kill it.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2023, 09:50:35 AM »
Yes, but I’m not talking about a punch in the nuts to inflict pain. I’m talking about something more akin to the old expression, “copping a feel.” Can’t find that in the rules, anywhere.

Considering, most often, the Umpire is the official usually hearing these type complaints, and is very likely reminding players, generally, frequently to "Get up Easy" (or similar cautionary comment on most plays), privately suggesting to identified culprits to "knock off such behavior". The "words of warning", alone are intended to prevent repeat behavior, as well as focus Umpire attention. 

When the advice is followed, unnecessary follow-up is (hopefully) not necessary.  If the advice is ignored, 15 yds of PF, for any repeat behavior(that the Umpire OBSERVES) is usually an effective reminder.  An ounce of prevention (when the original behavior is NOT observed) can often avoid a pound of cure).

Of course, when the Umpire SEES the original behavior, and (himself) judges the effort to merit necessary instant cure, that's HIS choice.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2023, 11:21:36 AM »
Considering, most often, the Umpire is the official usually hearing these type complaints, and is very likely reminding players, generally, frequently to "Get up Easy" (or similar cautionary comment on most plays), privately suggesting to identified culprits to "knock off such behavior". The "words of warning", alone are intended to prevent repeat behavior, as well as focus Umpire attention. 

When the advice is followed, unnecessary follow-up is (hopefully) not necessary.  If the advice is ignored, 15 yds of PF, for any repeat behavior(that the Umpire OBSERVES) is usually an effective reminder.  An ounce of prevention (when the original behavior is NOT observed) can often avoid a pound of cure).

Of course, when the Umpire SEES the original behavior, and (himself) judges the effort to merit necessary instant cure, that's HIS choice.

You may be missing the discussion here. It ain't what we see or don't see, as much as it is type of actions that may become an issue when we get non-male, or - more to the point - non-binary humans (Can I say that? Or is that offensive to somebody? Can I say "somebody," for that matter?)  involved with organized athletics that have, historically, been virtually exclusively to male humans.
At the risk of being offensive, I'll put it more plainly. If we have females playing football with males, are we going get males fondling female boobs or crotch areas (if they can find them behind pads), to the objection of the females?  Note that when I say 'fondle,' I don't mean in an attempt to cause pain or discomfort, but in a way to obtain some sort of personal gratification, or, perhaps, mutual gratification.
Are females, homosexual males, or non-binary players going to fondle males in the groin area? Or, heck, I don't know. Maybe the non-binary's will be fondling everybody.

Like I said, I really doubt that I will have to deal with such. But, with the way things are going, I fear, in the next 50 years, there will be further cultural changes in major team athletics that will require yet more rules to legislate behavior. I'll probably be "outta here" by the time those things happen, and I'll be glad about that.

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2023, 01:06:51 PM »
You may be missing the discussion here. It ain't what we see or don't see, as much as it is type of actions that may become an issue when we get non-male, or - more to the point - non-binary humans (Can I say that? Or is that offensive to somebody? Can I say "somebody," for that matter?)  involved with organized athletics that have, historically, been virtually exclusively to male humans.
At the risk of being offensive, I'll put it more plainly. If we have females playing football with males, are we going get males fondling female boobs or crotch areas (if they can find them behind pads), to the objection of the females?  Note that when I say 'fondle,' I don't mean in an attempt to cause pain or discomfort, but in a way to obtain some sort of personal gratification, or, perhaps, mutual gratification.
Are females, homosexual males, or non-binary players going to fondle males in the groin area? Or, heck, I don't know. Maybe the non-binary's will be fondling everybody.

Like I said, I really doubt that I will have to deal with such. But, with the way things are going, I fear, in the next 50 years, there will be further cultural changes in major team athletics that will require yet more rules to legislate behavior. I'll probably be "outta here" by the time those things happen, and I'll be glad about that.

Spoiler alert -- there are women playing high school football now and have been for a while.

If I saw somebody sexually assaulting another player on the field, even if it was their own teammate, that would be a flagrant USC foul and ejection worthy. The genders of the people involved are irrelevant.

Offline ted skoundrianos

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2023, 05:00:44 PM »
Yes, Ralph make illegal formation on free kicks a live ball.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2023, 09:12:31 PM »
Spoiler alert -- there are women playing high school football now and have been for a while.

The heck you say!   :o  What? Where?
Wow. Well, they’ll never make it to college football!
What’s next? Female officials?
Hmmm. Wait. It’s coming back to me now. Seems like I remember an NCAA bowl game that had the first female official in it. Like maybe in Detroit. Ooooooooh, yeah! Now I remember. I was the referee!

The percentage of non-male players in secondary school football is very small - a fraction of 1%. And even smaller in NCAA football. So, the opportunities for ‘offensive’ contact between players of the opposite sex - or whatever gender identities - have been few and far between. I’ve not actually heard of any. But, when/if those percentages grow to be significant, we may see some claims of “inappropriate” contact by one gender on another gender. Don’t know what that might look like when it happens, but you can go to sleep tonight assured that, with the country’s culture changing as is it, such incidences, or claims of incidences, will present themselves in the coming years, maybe sooner than later.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 09:56:30 AM by ElvisLives »

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2023, 02:37:15 AM »
That'll be the day.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2023, 06:04:09 AM »
There are 52 voters - 49 states + DC + coaches assoc. + officials assoc.

state officiers            35
football officials         14
coaches                     3     
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 06:32:14 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2023, 06:12:40 AM »
The heck you say!   :o  What? Where?
Wow. Well, they’ll never make it to college football!
What’s next? Female officials?
Hmmm. Wait. It’s coming back to me now. Seems like I remember an NCAA bowl game that had the first female official in it. Like maybe in Detroit. Ooooooooh, yeah! Now I remember. I was the referee!

The percentage of non-male players in secondary school football is very small - a fraction of 1%. And even smaller in NCAA football. So, the opportunities for ‘offensive’ contact between players of the opposite sex - or whatever gender identities - have been few and far between. I’ve not actually heard of any. But, when/if those percentages grow to be significant, we may see some claims of “inappropriate” contact by one gender on another gender. Don’t know what that might look like when it happens, but you can go to sleep tonight assured that, which the country’s culture changing as is it, such incidences, or claims of incidences, will present themselves in the coming years, maybe sooner than later.

My concern centers around a girl that wants to be center and a  >:D boy QB that wants to take snaps under center  >:D  in lieu of the shotgun. Will long counts pervail  ???

HUT..HUT...HUT...............HUT.... tR:oLlNEW RULES WILL BE HERE SOON 8]

« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 06:14:45 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2023, 10:11:48 AM »
That'll be the day.

Rave On, Everyday! Oh Boy, It’s So Easy To Fall In Love! Well, All Right, It Doesn’t Matter Any More! Listen To Me, Peggy Sue!

(See what I did there?)

By the way, I was honored to be the the Architect of Record for the renovations of the Lubbock High School auditorium, where Buddy performed in high school. He’s buried in the City Cemetary across town (about 9 miles from where I am sitting). That’s about our only tourist attraction (unless you count Prairie Dog Town).