Author Topic: Official Crisis!  (Read 3163 times)

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Official Crisis!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »
A very true article, Big John, thanks for sharing it with us. We are constantly trying to find new officials and ,IMHO, the best source seems to be former coaches. Their "burnout" rate may even be greater, probably due in a large part to the long hours of practices and game planning along with PMS (Parental Meddling Syndrome). On our chapter of 50+ officials, probably 10+ are former coaches and are very successful. Gone are the long hours of practice, practice, practice and more practice. We officials are mostly an annoymious lot, arriving at the game unknown and unnoticed (except by the AD as he may have our paychecks) and leaving the game unknown and unnoticed ( sometimes in haste ). Coaches has a basic game knowledge and field smarts along with a love for the game that makes it fun.

MY NORMINATION FOR THE OHIO FOOTBALL
                                                                OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION ;  BIG JOHN

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:30:09 AM »
Advertise on Facebook.  We advertised test prep classes (a one day class in February and a 4 week class every Tuesday in April) and got about 20 people to take their test after the classes were done.

You have to put your best Steve Spurrier hat on and get out there and recruit!  THEY WILL NOT COME TO YOU IF YOU DO NOTHING.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:33:13 AM »
Then the second part of the problem.  Assignors, take the glass ceiling off of the younger officials and give them an opportunity to work important games if they are good officials.  One of the main reasons people leave their day jobs is there is no opportunity for advancement.  Same will go for officiating.  If they show they have the ability to work, then put them on the game!

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 07:01:22 PM »
Amen.  yEs:
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 02:52:49 PM »
Everyone here is spot-on.
1-what "gets old" for me is the whining, crying.
Coaches see the maniac coaches (i.e. Clemson & Mich), players see ncaa/nfl players do their song and dance and it trickles down.

2-what "gets old" is the length of the games.   
48-minute games with no TV timeouts, etc, lasting 3 hours long.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:55:15 PM by TampaSteve »

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 09:19:24 AM »
Good points Steve.  I'd add an overall lack of sportsmanship to the list.  The FHSAA instructs us to remind coaches and captains of the importance of good sportsmanship before every game.  It's part of my pregame with the coaches.  Then the game starts, and we see:
1) Coaches who are already up 35-0 throwing passes and trying to score in the final 2 minutes
2) Coaches who are leading by multiple TDs trying to call time out in the last 2 minutes
3) Coaches purposely keeping the score below the mercy rule to prevent a running clock
4) Coaches putting the first team D back in the game in the 4th qtr of a blowout to preserve a shutout

I have no problem with a second or third string kid trying to score what might be his only TD in high school.  But way too often the starters are still on the field.

Offline jason

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »
Good points Steve.  I'd add an overall lack of sportsmanship to the list.  The FHSAA instructs us to remind coaches and captains of the importance of good sportsmanship before every game.  It's part of my pregame with the coaches.  Then the game starts, and we see:
1) Coaches who are already up 35-0 throwing passes and trying to score in the final 2 minutes
2) Coaches who are leading by multiple TDs trying to call time out in the last 2 minutes
3) Coaches purposely keeping the score below the mercy rule to prevent a running clock
4) Coaches putting the first team D back in the game in the 4th qtr of a blowout to preserve a shutout

I have no problem with a second or third string kid trying to score what might be his only TD in high school.  But way too often the starters are still on the field.

Count yourself blessed the running clock is even an option.  That's not reality in every state.  I've been in a few 50-60 point blowouts that used the entire clock.