Author Topic: Starting a game early  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Tobes

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Starting a game early
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
There have been times when I've attended a game as a spectator and I've arrived what I think is 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time and the game is already in the first inning.
Is it common practice in some places to try to start games early? Have ADs or coaches ever asked you to start a game a little early?
As an umpire when are you supposed to start a game, when the schedule says it's supposed to start (assuming weather is not an issue) or as soon as both teams have taken infield and are ready to play, even if it's 10 or 15 minutes before the scheduled start?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: Starting a game early
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 07:36:59 AM »
Depends.

I've had coaches who wanted to start as soon as practical, usually due to weather concerns.  I've had others who insisted on waiting until the scheduled time "so the Mommas & Daddys can get here".

I had a scheduled V/JV DH this year cut to one V game only, because the coach was also an asst hoops coach who had to drive 100 miles to their team's playoff site.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »
When both coaches agree regarding starting a game early or calling a game for poor field conditions/ darkness; I tend to make the decision unanimous.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 11:26:30 AM »
Unlike football, in baseball the umpire's jurisdiction does not begin until game cards are exchanged. If the coach wants to modify the start time, we are at his mercy for that. Same with field conditions. If they say we can play on a wet field, we start the game on a wet field.