Author Topic: GT vs GA TD/incomplete/OOB ?  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
GT vs GA TD/incomplete/OOB ?
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »
GT vs GA 1st Qtr 6:35

Was the call correct or should it have been incomplete if the catch didn't survive contact with the ground ? or if it was complete should it not have been a TD ?

https://youtu.be/XDY6mZdB5zM

Also any support for DPI early contact ?
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline Sumstine

• FAN REACTION: +70/-10
Re: GT vs GA TD/incomplete/OOB ?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:51:16 PM »
I will not get into if the call of stands was correct but I can say that the reach (for a GL or LTG) is considered a second act in NCAA so surviving the ground is not necessary. You will have to decide if there was indisputable evidence that the runner was able to get the ball over the pylon.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 12:51:47 PM »
Since he catches the ball with both hands, re grips, transfers to a single hand and stretches it out -- I've got a good reception. If that was the middle of the field, you might argue catch and fumble (although I think his other arm/shoulder hit the ground first).

I think the argument that didn't overturn the call here was "Was he airborne when the ball crossed the goal line?" If so, he doesn't get the goal line extended, and I can't say for sure that he got the ball INSIDE the pylon. Lack of conclusive evidence = call stands.

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »
Was he airbourne when the ball crossed the GL ? I would say his feet dragged inbounds till he touched OOB.
I won't be surprised if this play makes the next replay video.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:38:53 AM by Aussie-Zebra »
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.