Author Topic: General question about fouls  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Tobes

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
General question about fouls
« on: January 26, 2014, 12:08:44 AM »
Talking to coaches, I've often heard them point to a disparity in the number of fouls called against each team as a sign of bias or incompetence of the officials. I guess their point is that in a game where there is a lot of banging going on, one team cannot be entirely responsible for all of it.
In a well-officiated game, should each team have a relatively equal number of fouls? Not exactly the same, but within a certain "acceptable" range?
Is that part of the evaluation for officials?
Or is it a matter of if one team has disproportionately more fouls called against it, it really did commit more fouls?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: General question about fouls
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:43:27 AM »
Maybe the coach who feels too many fouls are being called on his/her team should consider doing a better job of coaching how to play proper defense. No two teams play the same. End of discussion.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi