Author Topic: Equipment Violation Scenario  (Read 3004 times)

Offline fudilligas

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
Equipment Violation Scenario
« on: July 25, 2018, 06:49:33 PM »
Team A has the ball at the B-10 with no time outs remaining...
less than 10 seconds on the clock and they are trailing 12-10....
the coach wants to get in FG unit on the field but does not have time so he instructs the team to quickly lineup and for the A89, who is in front of the LJ, to pull his pants up above his knees....
the LJ sees the infraction, stops the clock for A89 to leave the game...
A89 takes his time going to the sideline..
meanwhile, during this stoppage the coach has enough time to send in his FG unit...
the R signals for the clock to start and Team A kicks the winning FG...
the team A coach has gained an unfair advantage...
do we allow this....

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
Re: Equipment Violation Scenario
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 09:55:19 PM »
No!

LJ could have ignored A89's action, but he didn't.  This implies (but does not state) that LJ is unaware of coach's instruction to A89.  However, the OP clearly states that coach A was responsible for A89's action.  Therefore, conference with other officials, determine whether there is any reason to believe that this is not an unfair act and then invoke the Unfair Act rule and start clock while U stands over ball and allow time to expire.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:07:19 PM by prab »

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 03:44:28 PM »
No - I agree with Prab and will add...

1) A89 must sit for a play.
2) Referee may invoke rule 1-1-6 and/or 9-9-5 as the Head Coach has violated both!
3) Instruct the Umpire to pick up and hold the football in his arms.
4) Wind the clock! When time expires, Referee hold the ball over head, the game is over.
5) Report the coach to your state association for a Chrystal clear flagrant violation of Coaches Code of Ethics Bullet #6: (See 2018 NFHS Rules Book, Appendix F, Page 105)
The coach shall not seek an advantage by circumvention of the spirit or letter of the rules

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:19:28 PM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline blandis

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 05:49:46 PM »
Is this not Unsportsmanlike Conduct? To deliberately violate the rules to gain an advantage? 15-yards!

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 10:14:30 PM »
Is this not Unsportsmanlike Conduct? To deliberately violate the rules to gain an advantage? 15-yards!
I agree that this is unsportsmanlike conduct.  HOWEVER, if you penalize 15 yards, even if you then start the clock on the RFP, A may be able to get off a play, thus accomplishing A's objective.  By letting the clock run out and denying A a chance to run a play, justice seems better served.  (There seems to be no point in penalizing 15 yards and then allowing clock to run out without allowing A to run a play.)

Offline SCline

• FAN REACTION: +7/-1
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 08:02:10 AM »
I think penalizing 15 yards and letting time run out, “sells” the call better. It is pretty clearly an “unfair act”. I hope to never see this happen on a field.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 10:42:54 AM »
I think penalizing 15 yards and letting time run out, “sells” the call better. It is pretty clearly an “unfair act”. I hope to never see this happen on a field.

Deciding to do the right thing, doesn't always automatically provide a pre-determined written approval, but NFHS 1-1-6 comes pretty close.  "The referee has authority to rule promptly, and in the spirit of good sportsmanship, on any situation not specifically covered in the rules.  The referee's decisions are final in all matters pertaining to the game.

A rule best kept deep within the closet, and only used when absolutely necessary, but when used can be as big a stick as necessary.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:44:39 AM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »
I hope to never see this happen on a field.

I hope I never see this also. 
Supposedly we were going to see guys intentionally removing there helmet to gain the same advantage yet it is not happening.
If it did happen, the offending coach had best keep his mouth shut because the second UNS flag will be cocked and ready.
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 08:21:08 AM »
While I certainly hope never to see this...

If one were so inclined, one could certainly argue that instructing one of his players to deliberately break a rule for this purpose might be a 'flagrant' violation of the rules, and worthy of a disqualification, as well.  That would definitely force one's state to act.