Author Topic: WELCOME, COMMONWEALTH.......  (Read 11470 times)

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
WELCOME, COMMONWEALTH.......
« on: July 26, 2018, 10:58:00 AM »
It has been announced that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts will play by NFHS football rules beginning with the 2019 Season. That set the basis for today's trivia tester :

(1) Previously, which was the last state to adopt NFHS football rules?

(2) There are four commonwealths, can you name the other three?

(3) Why did they decide on commonwealths in lieu of states?

aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd...GO FOR THE GOLD

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
Re: WELCOME, COMMONWEALTH.......
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »
It has been announced that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts will play by NFHS football rules beginning with the 2019 Season. That set the basis for today's trivia tester :

(1) Previously, which was the last state to adopt NFHS football rules?

(2) There are four commonwealths, can you name the other three?

(3) Why did they decide on commonwealths in lieu of states?

aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd...GO FOR THE GOLD

I'll take a shot:

1)  Total guess.  I know the first NFHS rules were put forward in the 1930's, so based on that I'd say Hawaii, simply based on it being the 50th state.

2)  Kentucky, Virginia, Pennsylvania

3)  There's no functional difference today, nor at the time of the independence of the country.  In the age of colonization were generally defining an independent and self selecting republic.  So I suspect because that's the way it always was.
"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 07:22:54 AM »
I'll take a shot:

1)  Total guess.  I know the first NFHS rules were put forward in the 1930's, so based on that I'd say Hawaii, simply based on it being the 50th state.

2)  Kentucky, Virginia, Pennsylvania

3)  There's no functional difference today, nor at the time of the independence of the country.  In the age of colonization were generally defining an independent and self selecting republic.  So I suspect because that's the way it always was.
Thanks for trying, Jackhammer, you nailed #2. Kentucky was originally part of Virginia and the commonwealth when it declared statehood. Hint of #1 : The last two states to join NFHS border our newest state.

The story I've been told regarding commonwealth was that, several years before our revolution, a British scholar wrote : "Our country would be better if ruled by a commonwealth of commoners than by a crazy king." This did not go over well with the king and the scholar lost his head. As the Founding Fathers drew up their plans, the most rabble-rousing colonies, VA, PA, and MA announced that they wished to be commonwealths as a poke in the eye of King George.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »
Why did MA decide to join?

Offline Bigfrizz81

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »
I knew there was some consideration for it but my association hasn't said anything to us officials as of yet. I haven't heard anything from the MIAA either. I don't know what the rationale would be to change at this point. I know my association just got the order for the new NCAA rule books in and those are for two years. Personally I like sticking with one code for the sake of consistency but I don't make those decisions.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 12:13:36 PM »

Will this put an end to the only state using 11 minute quarters for football???
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 12:22:00 PM »

Answer to Q1: Connecticut and Rhode Island?
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Bigfrizz81

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 07:47:46 PM »
Will this put an end to the only state using 11 minute quarters for football???

Ha! Doubt it. Some leagues do 10 minutes for varsity and non league games.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 09:39:21 PM »
So basically everyone in MA will be rookies all over again. 

Offline Bigfrizz81

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 11:51:51 PM »
So basically everyone in MA will be rookies all over again.

I foresee rule misapplication all over especially when it comes to blocking below the waist. I know it will throw a bunch of coaches for a loop since low blocking is a staple of their offenses.

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 06:11:53 AM »

Answer to Q1: Connecticut and Rhode Island?
You're half way there, Kevin. Connecticut entered in 1979. For the next -to-last, think of Steve.

Offline toma

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 03:10:16 PM »
My board services many Pop Warner & AYF  leagues and we use NFHS rules when working those games.
We hold discussions about the rule differences.
And make dam sure we don't mess to on the Varsity field with federation rules. ^talk

Offline Tobes

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 05:33:49 PM »
They're switching in other sports, too. This article deals mostly with volleyball.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/high-schools/2018/08/07/miaa-aligns-rulebooks-with-nfhs-standards/PaYONZeBzPxHRDhlNwQldM/story.html

It will be for the 2019/2020 school year.

Offline Tobes

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 08:11:49 PM »
The change doesn't seem to be very popular with Mass. coaches or officials.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/02/20/miaa-rule-changes-draw-flag-from-coaches-officials/

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 07:04:49 AM »
Some of us here in southeastern MA have been doing some of our games in RI (NFHS rules) for the last 3-4 years.  No major issues that I'm aware of but the blow-and-throw for team B encroachment is a bit challenging to handle given that under NCAA rules we hold the whistle and let the play go.  We usually end up with the flag and then a delayed whistle after the snap.  We did get better at it as we went along but the long term training is a bit tough to change when you need an "instant" whistle.  I did not see any problems with the blocking below the waist differences or the enforcement of team A penalties where the spot was in the team A backfield.  I will say that the rules differences documents that I've tracked down via this board have been extremely helpful.  We'll see how our preseason training goes.  ::)
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 07:32:10 AM »
54% said they would be unable to officiate in a safe manner by Sept?  Way overdramatic...

Offline toma

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 08:04:35 AM »
The recent MIAA decision to switch from NCAA to National Federation of High School (NFHS) rules. This decision was made without any input from the MIAA football committee, athletic directors, coaches or officials, the latter two being the major constituent groups relating to high school football in Massachusetts. A similar switch was attempted in the 1990’s, and when both groups vehemently opposed, the MIAA withdrew the proposal. This time around, the MIAA did not consult with any user groups and went right to a vote. A presentation was made to the Tournament Management Committee which voted in favor, it was passed on to the board of directors who voted in favor. It does not appear at any point in the process were the groups directly affected by the rule change asked for any input.

We are being asked to make a change from a set of rules used since at least the mid-1970’s, and officiated by officials for up to 40 years, in effectively less than 7 months. NFHS 2019 rule books are not available until at the earliest May with no definitive date in sight. The MIAA has stated they are trying to secure 2018 rule books (and case books which are separate in NFHS but are one volume in NCAA), but to date, these rule books have only been secured at an extensive cost to local official’s boards. In fact, the MIAA has stated they cannot guarantee that there will be enough rule books for every official in the state. They have also stated the MIAA is trying to get training aids (videos, film, etc.), but to date, nothing but the recent introductory meeting for board leaders and interpreters. These training aids the MIAA references seem to consist of videos produced from YouTube or other state groups, not the NFHS. NFHS rule and case books are available for download via an app or e-book format, but at a cost of $6.99 each. These cannot be reprinted for use by multiple members. NCAA rule books are available free online for download and can be reprinted. This allows for easy dissemination of information. In addition, the CFO (national officiating organization of the NCAA) produces preseason training videos on rules changes, subject videos (pass interference, blocking below the waist, etc.), weekly videos in season, and weekly rules interpretations as well as bi-weekly exams. MIAA football officials are offered a discount rate to join the CFO due to their use of NCAA playing rules. Any official can go to the website and view/download video, regular in season rules interpretations and the like. None of this is available by NFHS. The MIAA has not been able to provide any NFHS training videos other than what can be found on YouTube. Both codes do offer specialty subject manuals. These facts seem to refute the assertion that accessibility and interpretation is better under NFHS.

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 08:28:11 AM »
In the mammal kingdom, only human babies with soiled diapers want a change. I been in contact with several local officials that have moved to NCAA and they all felt the transmission from NFHS to NCAA was a bigger challenge than originally learning the NFHS rules.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 08:29:33 AM »

We are being asked to make a change from a set of rules used since at least the mid-1970’s, and officiated by officials for up to 40 years, in effectively less than 7 months. NFHS 2019 rule books are not available until at the earliest May with no definitive date in sight. The MIAA has stated they are trying to secure 2018 rule books (and case books which are separate in NFHS but are one volume in NCAA), but to date, these rule books have only been secured at an extensive cost to local official’s boards. In fact, the MIAA has stated they cannot guarantee that there will be enough rule books for every official in the state.

You can get an electronic version of the 2018 rules and case books for $7 a piece on amazon right this moment. The 2017 Football rule differences: NFHS & NCAA Rules Compared is available. 2018 The Redding study guide to NFHS Football rules is available on Double S Distributors Web site $17.50. I understand you are not happy with the change, but if one of your concern is having the rules available to you, you don't have to be. And you will be happy that the major rule change this year (for which the actual reading of the rule has not been release yet) is going from the 25 second clock to a 40 second play clock. So the 2018 rule book should be more than enough to get you up to speed.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »
The NFHS is not and really has not been into the rules education nor educational product business.  They leave that up to the individual states' directors/commissioners/supervisors to accomplish as each state is pretty much free to interpret NFHS rules as they deem necessary.

Certainly your state leadership should be able to consult with a neighboring state to guide you along.  I think you'll find that a) NFHS rules aren't that intimidating, b) there are more similarities than you think.  The two biggies are you need to blow encroachment immediately and ABO on the offense.

As for resources, for $35 you can join the NFHS directly and get access to all the publications via the Arbiter online.  There are also downloadable mobile rule and case book apps.  There are a few rules changes that were just released for 2019 so having 2018 material isn't any major problem.  There is a Reddings NFHS guide just like there is one for NCAA.  The videos produced in Hawaii available online are produced by a dual NFHS/NCAA official.

There will be a learning curve but I don't think its as steep as you think.

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 10:54:28 AM »
I've chatted with the Mass. rep, Richard Pearson, both via phone & at Indy. He's an amicable guy and is dedicated to making the transfer work. I'm uneasy with the addition of the 40" clock, but it's OUR new rule and WE will make it work. I was chatting once with a full-time substitute teacher, that dealt with a multitude of subjects. I asked how he could keep up with dealing with a different topic to teach every day. His response was : "I don't need to know everything, just need to know a chapter ahead of my students AND pretend I know everything!"

IMHO, he had a good point :). As your are learning the differences, you will probably always be ahead of the coaches ,who work the X's and O's and let you worry about the rule differences. Good luck, and I'm sure (just like I am about the 40" clock) it will work out.

Have a good weekend, all!!

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 10:07:52 PM »
I don't have a dog in this fight but I do see why there would be so many opposed to the switch.  I've been officiating for close to 20 years under the NCAA rules and it has taken a lot of dedication and mental energy to where I feel pretty confident in my knowledge.  Rules from any sport or set is not something that you can learn at the level that most dedicated officials want to be.  If I were in their shoes I just don't know if I would have the energy required to "start over" with a new rule set to be at the level of knowledge that I would want to be.  As I said, it's taken me every bit of those years to get to where I am and I'm sure many of those Mass officials feel the same way.  I watch a lot of the NFHS discussions on the rules and I see you guys spit out answers that don't make any sense to an NCAA official but you guys know it very well and it makes sense to you but it is foreign to the rest of us.  Sometimes I see some of the answers and I am like  hEaDbAnG as to why your rules would be that way.   

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 07:42:45 AM »
I’ll bet that after the first season, most of the MA officials will say “Hey, that wasn’t so bad after all!”

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 02:40:44 PM »
I’ll bet that after the first season, most of the MA officials will say “Hey, that wasn’t so bad after all!”

And after three or four years, it will seem like they have been using NFHS rules forever.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2019, 10:17:11 PM »
Why did Mass. make the change to NFHS rules?