Author Topic: Cold Weather Gear  (Read 10836 times)

Offline 4sports

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
Cold Weather Gear
« on: October 09, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »
Whats everyone use looking to purchase some cold weather clothing
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:29:59 PM by 4sports »

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Cold Weather Gear
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 06:53:58 PM »
Depends- are you in North Dakota or North Carolina?  Here in NC we rarely need more than tights and turtlenecks under normal layers.

Most everything can be had at Dick's or your friendly neighborhood Wal-mart.  I like the Champion C9 line from Target.  The Under Armor stuff is warm, but pricey.

maven

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 06:55:26 PM »
I like the Champion C9 line from Target.  The Under Armor stuff is warm, but pricey.

Exactly my view.

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
If you're looking for gloves.  check out eBay.  UnderArmor makes a very lighweight, flexible glove liner that works great.  No problem pulling out the card and recording information.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Under-Armour-Tactical-Coldgear-Liner-Black-Gloves-Subdued-Black-Logo-1230769-LG-/110860623774?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Gloves_Mittens&hash=item19cfcedf9e

UA's mock turtle is good as well as the tights. 

I have a Honig's Windstopper shirt but quite honestly it's a bit hot and sweaty if it's cold with no wind.

Obviously, black slacks are better than knickers ever dared to be.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:47:51 PM by FBUmp »

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:14:49 AM »
What is this 'cold weather gear' (sp?) topic?

;)

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:49:32 AM »
Those of us up here on the tundra use a variety of methods.

I prefer smartwool to Under Armour.  UA is made of some sort of polypropylene material that absolutely stinks to high heaven when you get all hot and sweaty.

Smartwool wicks the moisture away from your body and keeps you nice and cozy the same way, but it's wool so you don't smell like a foot when you're done running around.  Doesn't itch either.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 12:27:36 PM »
I'm an Under Armour LOVER, myself.  I agree, it's on the pricey side, but I can't help myself.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
What is this 'cold weather gear' (sp?) topic?

;)
That's what you guys who live south of Lake City wear when the temperature drops below 72.  ;D
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

kerryman71

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 05:34:16 PM »
It's all about layering.  Rather than one big bulky item, several lighter ones work best, at least for me, and mainly upper body.  I can get away with one long undergarment under my pants.  Naturally the amount of layers depends on how cold it is going to be.  Don't forget your feet.  I like Wigwam wool blend socks.  They come in dark colors and aren't itchy.

Depending on how cold you think it will get where you are, a face mask covering your mouth and nose may also be a good idea, one made for that purpose that doesn't restrict your breathing while running.  I run outside year round and have had good success using these principles in temps as low as 5 degrees fahrenheit.

John

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »
Under Armour is expensive but worth every penny.  The material they are made of work well with the black pants (they don't bunch or ride up the legs).  The full hood Under Armour makes is very warm and very light weight and fits under your fitted cap.  I also like the Nike sure grip gloves, they let you get to your flags and cards and you can write with them on.

Offline ftalerico

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »
The Richardsen flex hat with the ear flaps built in keeps me nice and toasty.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 02:56:29 PM »
Definately Underarmor.

For gloves - I bought a pair of completely black bicycle gloves at Dick's Sporting Goods. Thin, perfect for writing and gripping while being warm.

I always wear 2 pairs of socks, keeps me a lot warmer.

And a referee's jacket. The only thing I dislike about the jacket is my flags are harder to pull out of my belt, because the jacket covers my waist. I put one in each jacket pocket, and it takes me a little longer to remember they're there when I see a foul.

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 11:23:12 PM »
And a referee's jacket. The only thing I dislike about the jacket is my flags are harder to pull out of my belt, because the jacket covers my waist. I put one in each jacket pocket, and it takes me a little longer to remember they're there when I see a foul.

You wear your jacket during the game?

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 06:20:24 AM »

Major fashion faux pas.  Not to say I haven't seen officials in extremely cold and/or wet weather wear them.  Our association solved it by buying us plain, black, hooded jackets with our acronym printed on the left chest.  We wear them to the field, pre-game, and halftime only.

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 07:24:53 AM »

If it's under 20, we wear our jackets.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 08:48:29 AM »
If it's under 20, we wear our jackets.

While we are in the mountains, I can't think of but one game in the years I've called that it might have reached that temperature range.  Frost was forming on the field prior to kick-off.

I purposely bought a XXL LS shirt to layer up under for those cold and/or damp nights.

RickKY

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 09:56:44 AM »
Here are some options I've used:
Honig's Windstopper shirt - wind and water proof, good in cold rain, snow and/or wind
Nike Cold Gear compares favorably on price to UA
Columbia make s a fleece mock that fits under a shirt one size larger than you normally wear and works well when dealing with just cold air and not wet weather.
Use silicon water-proofing spray on your shoes.  It keeps them dry, and helps with clean up from working on  muddy field. 
Head band that covers ears, but thin enough to fit under the FlexFit hats will help with keeping ears warm.
Receiver gloves make ball handling easier.
A trick I learned while camping is to use petroleum jelly on face, ears and hands to prevent chapping.  It actually allows for better grip on the football than dried, chapped skin on your hands, if you disdain using gloves.

Keeping dry is keeping warmer as a rule.

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 10:55:32 AM »
While we are in the mountains, I can't think of but one game in the years I've called that it might have reached that temperature range.

I live in Buffalo, and last week's playoff games were in the low-30s. That's balmy to what we sometimes get in November. And today it's 70 and sunny, and there are no games scheduled. Figures.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
OK, here's a Texas guy talking about cold weather like I really know something about it!

I've researched the heck out of synthetic, moisture management clothing for officiating and other endeavors, like running. While we don't have many cold weather games (we have a few, but it seems to be bunched in certain years), I run outside in the winter and have to be prepared.

For football, I have a Smitty long sleeve shirt that's the same weight as their short sleeved one. Meaning, it doesn't really provide much warmth. I recommend you use the under-stuff to keep you warm rather than the shirt. The exception here is that if you get rained on -- then, I recommend you buy one of those weather beater striped shirts. Wear that with the black heavy pants. The only reason I haven't bought that shirt is I am anticipating Texas going to the wide stripes in the next year or two (despite assurances to the contrary; Alabama and SC have already changed shirts).

Anyway, when you get to the under layers, I recommend you get good products. Champion at Target would be the absolute minimum I'd recommend. Don't go no-name elsewhere. I like Nike Pro -- I wear the light, sleeveless shirt in warm weather and when it gets cold enough to need it, I have the mock Nike Pro long sleeve. I've worn this down to the 30s. If it got colder, I would probably wear a 1/2 zip fleece pullover that I run with when its cold.

Unless its wet weather, just get some lightweight running gloves. I like Manzella gloves the best -- they make several styles. When its wet, just get some light weather proof ones. I don't have a recommendation on this one; I just used a pair of UAs in my cold, wet game a few years ago.

For bottoms, I don't think you'll need anything other than the regular weight UA tights or similar. I wear them all the time, including in basketball, though I'm considering switching next year to a running oriented model. I don't think you'll need the cold gear unless its really cold, BUT this is one area where UA is probably better than the other products unless you go really high end like CWX.

I always wear 2 pair of socks (Feetures). Now that we can where regular black socks I don't anticipate having a problem with my feet getting cold.