Author Topic: Leaving bencharea during a fight...  (Read 5780 times)

Offline ljudge

• FAN REACTION: +19/-2
Leaving bencharea during a fight...
« on: October 05, 2010, 09:11:05 AM »
Our state has a special rule that says that if 3 or more flagrant unsportsmanlike acts occur in a single season that team shall be disqualified from playoff competition.  A couple of weeks ago there was a single incident in a game where there was a kick and fist thrown on the field of play and several players from both benches entered the field of play.  A single player from the one team (who came off the bench) actually got involved in pushing and shoving but several teammates definitely came out on to the field.  Eventually 3 players were disqualified from that same team and that team is now not eligible for playoff competition.  I know the college rules clearly says that if any player enters the field during a fight he's definitely to be disqualifed.  I think the same goes for Fed but didn't see it spelled out in any case play.  Anyone know for sure?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Leaving bencharea during a fight...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »
9-8-ART. 1 . . . No coach, substitute, athletic trainer or other team attendant shall act in an unsportsmanlike manner once the officials assume authority for the contest. Examples are, but not limited to:

l. A substitute who leaves the team box during a fight.

PENALTY:   (Art. 1l) –(S27 -47) – 15 yards and disqualification.

9.8.1 SITUATION M: A fight breaks out between several opposing players and: (a) two substitutes from each team come onto the field; or (b) one substitute of A enters and three enter from B's team box. RULING: In (a), both substitutes are disqualified and the penalties offset. In (b), the one 15-yard penalty on A will cancel one by B resulting in two 15-yard penalties on B. In both cases, penalties and disqualification also will be assessed to those who were fighting. (2-11; 9-4-1)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:44:45 AM by HLinNC »

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:23:51 PM »
It can be difficult to know who's coming off the bench illegally in a football game.  Most fights break out at the end of a play.  Since you could have 11 legal substitutions between plays, who's to say if a sub came onto the field because there was a fight or because he was subbing?

In NC, we've had two brawls this year where players left the sideline.  But to my knowledge, only the players who were actually fighting were ejected.  And yes, because 3 or more players were ejected for fighting for 3 of the teams, those 3 teams are ineligible for the playoffs.

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:37:42 PM »
It can be difficult to know who's coming off the bench illegally in a football game.  Most fights break out at the end of a play.  Since you could have 11 legal substitutions between plays, who's to say if a sub came onto the field because there was a fight or because he was subbing?

Note that the rule says nothing about who's "supposed" to be coming into the game. ANY substitute who leaves the team box during a fight, even if they're just subbing in normally, can be subject to disqualification.

Now, that said, I do believe there's some judgment to be applied. But from the few times I've seen this, I think it's usually pretty obvious who's jogging out to be a sub and who's flying across the field making a beeline for the action.

LarryW60

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 08:32:50 AM »
Very rarely would a fight be happening in the team huddle.  If the "substitute" heads for the huddle, then I have more important things going on right then to be flagging him.  If he's heading towards the fight, then he's just became part of the problem and I have the solution.

Grant - AR

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 08:41:50 AM »
Our state has a special rule that says that if 3 or more flagrant unsportsmanlike acts occur in a single season that team shall be disqualified from playoff competition.  A couple of weeks ago there was a single incident in a game where there was a kick and fist thrown on the field of play and several players from both benches entered the field of play.  A single player from the one team (who came off the bench) actually got involved in pushing and shoving but several teammates definitely came out on to the field.  Eventually 3 players were disqualified from that same team and that team is now not eligible for playoff competition.  I know the college rules clearly says that if any player enters the field during a fight he's definitely to be disqualifed.  I think the same goes for Fed but didn't see it spelled out in any case play.  Anyone know for sure?

So, your state considers a fight where three players from the same team are involved to be three different incidences?  I thought it would have to be three distinctly different situations, but that puts pressure on the schools to put a stop to it.

busman

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 08:58:58 AM »
I like it.  Now, if they would just withhold the pay of the coaches for the game(s) they get suspended, it would reeally clean it up.

NAUmp

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:32:27 PM »
Just be sure you actually have a fight before you start taking names.

Several years ago, we had a game where the visiting QB threw a long interception (downed inside the 10 yard line).  The home crowd began to cheer (and maybe jeer), so the QB invited the whole home crowd out onto the field to address the situation.  The home bench emptied, which resulted in the visiting team bench emptying, and I looked up to see the Lineman furiously writing down numbers.

I asked him what he was doing, and he said he was getting the numbers of all the players that left the bench.  (Frankly, it would have been easier to write down the numbers of the players that DID NOT leave the bench.)  I told him that no punches had yet been thrown and he looked a little confused.  We went to the Ref and the L begins to tell him that he has all these players that had left the bench and the Ref looks like he's going to be sick because he's going to have to eject half or more of each team.  I pointed out to him that no punch had ever been thrown, and a look of relief came over his face.  Everyone had just got into one another's faces and jawed, but no one ever threw a punch, just verbal insults.

We wound up with USC on each team and went about the rest of the game with all of the players still participating.  Would have hated to write that game report!

Also, I've never heard of this sanction against a team for any number of ejections during the season here in Alabama.  A player can be benched for multiple ejections during the season, but I don't know of it going against the whole team.