Author Topic: Goodbye to knickers  (Read 40057 times)

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
Re: Goodbye to knickers
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 08:00:20 PM »
The whole crew will go out onto the field at minus 60 min.  What brought this about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMk66i8gHHE&feature=related

Offline Andrew McCarthy

• FAN REACTION: +21/-6
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 08:05:22 PM »
The whole crew will go out onto the field at minus 60 min.  What brought this about?

What do 7 guys do for the hour?

Make yourself look busy.

brew95

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »

Ogle the cheerleaders.

El Macman

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 09:37:42 PM »

You asked.
#1: Everybody maintains vigilance on the teams to make sure they don't interact in any improper way. If you do nothing else productive - you do this.

Everything else is secondary.
All: If you have replay - enter field together and stay together for RO to test pagers, then disperse.
Both wings: Get snap reps, working on pre-snap routine, keys, movement, progress, etc.
All deep guys:
Observe punts for wind effects, and get some reps looking at returns (short as they may be). Record numbers & kicking legs of punters & place kickers. Practice fades during passing drills, working on pre-snap routine, identifying keys, and focusing on catch observation technique (i.e., feet then ball). Alternate teams.
B: Check play clocks (locations & operation). Make sure pylons are in correct locations. Talk to punt receivers about fair catch signals.
F: Assemble ball persons (with S) and give them instructions. Find your get back coach and thank him for his help.
S: Walk field (with R, if he wants), and check for unsafe conditions, and check field markings (particularly 9-yard marks). Check game clock(s) (locations & operation). Find your get back coach and thank him for his help. Join F for ball-person instructions. Instruct foul recorder.
H: Instruct chain crew. Thoroughly. Collect S and greet head coach on your side.
L: Coordinate with media liaison, replay sideline assistant, etc. Collect F and greet head coach on your sideline.
U: Check equipment, talk to line coaches and get punt/field goal lineups. U is most difficult position to work on pre-snap routine - but do what you can.
R: Immediately after pagers are tested, go to replay sideline assistant and check headset and give assistant instructions. Do this with the other official that will always go with you to the headset when there is a review (L or F, usually). Re-check field for safety and operational issues. Get starting QB numbers, names, and throwing arms - greet each. Get reps looking at passer drop backs, keeping focus on passer, etc.

When both teams are fully on field - keep them separated (45-45 "neutral zone"). All keep an eye on players near mid-field and keep them separated. When teams depart field, keep them separated. Many times, this takes a full crew to be effective.

Much more. Keep busy. Don't stay in the same place more than a minute or so. Don't stand with hands in pockets, arms crossed on chest, or hands on hips.

Try it. You'll like it. Well, now you have to do it, even if you don't like it.

chymechowder

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 11:04:56 PM »
NCAA rules require that we be out there beginning 1 hour before K/O, when both teams are present. Were you not already sending at least a couple of guys out at 1 hour? The only change is that now the whole crew goes out at 1 hour. There may still have been some hold-outs, as far only sending out two at a time; but, many, if not most, FBS conferences have been sending the whole crew out for many years now.

So, if you were already sending out folks at 1 hour, it shoudln't change your pre-game schedule. If you weren't, then you'll need to adjust your schedule, but I don't think you'll need to be there more than 3 hours ahead.

yeah in my D3 conference the F and S go out at 60, the H and L go out at 40, and everyone's out at 20 mins before kick....I was just wondering if all out at 60 might mean that we'd start the 3hour pregame a little earlier.  and by "wondering" I mean really, really hoping that it doesn't.  :)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 01:17:03 AM »
You asked.
#1: Everybody maintains vigilance on the teams to make sure they don't interact in any improper way. If you do nothing else productive - you do this.

Everything else is secondary.
All: If you have replay - enter field together and stay together for RO to test pagers, then disperse.
Both wings: Get snap reps, working on pre-snap routine, keys, movement, progress, etc.
All deep guys:
Observe punts for wind effects, and get some reps looking at returns (short as they may be). Record numbers & kicking legs of punters & place kickers. Practice fades during passing drills, working on pre-snap routine, identifying keys, and focusing on catch observation technique (i.e., feet then ball). Alternate teams.
B: Check play clocks (locations & operation). Make sure pylons are in correct locations. Talk to punt receivers about fair catch signals.
F: Assemble ball persons (with S) and give them instructions. Find your get back coach and thank him for his help.
S: Walk field (with R, if he wants), and check for unsafe conditions, and check field markings (particularly 9-yard marks). Check game clock(s) (locations & operation). Find your get back coach and thank him for his help. Join F for ball-person instructions. Instruct foul recorder.
H: Instruct chain crew. Thoroughly. Collect S and greet head coach on your side.
L: Coordinate with media liaison, replay sideline assistant, etc. Collect F and greet head coach on your sideline.
U: Check equipment, talk to line coaches and get punt/field goal lineups. U is most difficult position to work on pre-snap routine - but do what you can.
R: Immediately after pagers are tested, go to replay sideline assistant and check headset and give assistant instructions. Do this with the other official that will always go with you to the headset when there is a review (L or F, usually). Re-check field for safety and operational issues. Get starting QB numbers, names, and throwing arms - greet each. Get reps looking at passer drop backs, keeping focus on passer, etc.

When both teams are fully on field - keep them separated (45-45 "neutral zone"). All keep an eye on players near mid-field and keep them separated. When teams depart field, keep them separated. Many times, this takes a full crew to be effective.

Much more. Keep busy. Don't stay in the same place more than a minute or so. Don't stand with hands in pockets, arms crossed on chest, or hands on hips.

Try it. You'll like it. Well, now you have to do it, even if you don't like it.

This is pretty much what we do.  It's also important to keep them separated as players are entering the field and may be entering near the other team.  We just get in between them as they enter to make sure nothing happens. 

Dommer1

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 09:43:03 AM »
Wow, that was fast! I expected the knickers to disappear eventually, but this was a lot faster than I thought.

It'll be interesting to see what the manufactureres do. I expect one very airy and light warm weather version, and a thicker more insulating one for cold weather. There's already some difference in the pants out there, I think we'll see more tailored versions.

El Macman

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »
Wow, that was fast! I expected the knickers to disappear eventually, but this was a lot faster than I thought.

It'll be interesting to see what the manufactureres do. I expect one very airy and light warm weather version, and a thicker more insulating one for cold weather. There's already some difference in the pants out there, I think we'll see more tailored versions.

Here's the real question:
Honey, do these make my butt look big? :)

fbljuj

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2011, 01:54:02 PM »
Here's the real question:
Honey, do these make my butt look big? :)
You may experience a reverse camel toe affect.

Dommer1

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »
I think black pants make your butt look smaller, no? I hope so at least.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2011, 06:13:54 PM »
The black is hotter mantra is largely a myth. I say largely because it CAN be true in some instances, but not usually to the degree (pardon the pun) that most of us think.

Black absorbs more light, not necessarily more heat, than lighter colors. In fact, it absorbs ALL light. I've read a lot of people say it absorbs more heat, but that isn't always true. Are you warmer in the winter wearing black clothing than you are, say, in light blue -- even on a sunny day? Doubtful. If you are on a snowy mountain, you might be warmer since you are getting light from above and below. But out in the woods in the mid-30s, it doesn't much matter if you are in black or khaki. Trust me, I've been in both. I go out all the time in fall and winter in black, woodland camo, and tan BDU pants and it doesn't make any difference heat wise.

What matters is the material. I wear black and navy blue workout shorts all year round, even in the heat of the summer. They aren't any hotter than a gray pair of shorts I have, mainly because the lightweight of the material. Its my opinion that a well designed warm weather black pant will actually be cooler than the current Honigs elite knickers that many of us wear. The pants will probably be lighter in weight, looser -- allowing some air flow, plus they will be more comfortable overall (no tightness below the knees from the knickers or socks) making them more likable. Also, the new pants can be made much thinner without having to worry about stripes showing throw from the shirt tucked in. I think its Easton who makes a pair of softball shorts I've seen (with belt loops) that are lightweight and comfortable. I saw them in black and I would think that material would make a good pair of pants.

Offline RBase2

• FAN REACTION: +102/-6
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2011, 09:46:49 PM »
80s?  I would love for my first few games of the year to be in the 80s. 

FOR REAL!!!

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2011, 06:40:58 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMk66i8gHHE&feature=related
Does anyone really think 7 guys in striped shirts are going to keep 150 in pads and helmets from fighting? ???
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2011, 06:56:02 PM »
Does anyone really think 7 guys in striped shirts are going to keep 150 in pads and helmets from fighting? ???

I don't think so, but what 7 guys can do is provide more eyes on the ones actually fighting and DQ them.  With only a couple of guys out there it is likely some guys don't get DQ'd that should.

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »

Well if we are standing in the no fly zone and curbing any talk, they I do not think it escalates to that incident.

El Macman

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »
Well if we are standing in the no fly zone and curbing any talk, they I do not think it escalates to that incident.

Precisely.

We may not be able to stop 150 guys from getting into a brawl, but we are expected to try. In my experience, when we are vigilant, things that could lead to an incident are, indeed, kept from escalating to that point.

All 7 go out. Get used to it.

Offline TX Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 11:36:49 AM »
Interesting how this has morphed to a discussion of why go out 60 minutes prior to game time - and here is my take....

Go out at 60 minutes because you can't wait to get onto the field. My crew has all gone out for several years now, often goes out before 60 minutes, and it is mostly because we'd rather be on the field than sitting around the locker room (of course, with the exception of bad/extreme weather days). What to do out there, besides the usual pre-game duties? How about just enjoying being part of the football game-day atmosphere. This is the time to visit (not lengthy, but establish rapport) with players, coaches, trainers, sideline assistants, etc. It is the calm before the storm and this is the time to show that we officials are human and have the opportunity to display our sense of humor and honor in being a part of a game we love.

Kind of corny, but getting out on the field ahead of time is a time I look forward to, not wonder why we have to....

Harry

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 12:12:59 PM »
I've heard there will be 2" stripes on the pants too.  Is that true?  I also hear that the NCAA may have officials put their positions on the front pocket like the NFL used to have.

Has it been determined if the black pants are mandatory for all of college football or just that one conference?   pi1eOn
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:19:18 PM by Harry »

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 05:16:58 PM »
Precisely.

We may not be able to stop 150 guys from getting into a brawl, but we are expected to try. In my experience, when we are vigilant, things that could lead to an incident are, indeed, kept from escalating to that point.

All 7 go out. Get used to it.

I always referred to it as Jihad watch..............................
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Diablo

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 06:39:18 PM »

When the animals, ahh I meant players, get restless, how much help can you expect from the coaches?

El Macman

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 07:13:09 PM »
When the animals, ahh I meant players, get restless, how much help can you expect from the coaches?

Coaches actually are helpful, but they need a little bit of cueing. A verbal nudge to get a coach to get control of a player that you can tell is pushing the envelope will usually do the trick. But those in the neutral zone must be ever vigilant to keep a wise-acre comment from causing a confrontation or escalating into something physical. Coaches tend to have a bit of the agressive macho mentality, and might initially react aggressively, but, when cued, usually understand that discretion is the better part of valor, and step in to make sure they don't have to start the game handicapped by a stupid penalty.

cougar729

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
If your doing the duties El Macman outlined earlier, then 60 minutes goes by pretty quickly, its not too bad

fbljuj

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »
As the R, I meet with the coaches along with the U 90 minutes prior to kick off. Can we do that in this 60 minutes?

El Macman

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2011, 04:34:11 PM »
As the R, I meet with the coaches along with the U 90 minutes prior to kick off. Can we do that in this 60 minutes?

If your coordinator says OK. But trying to talk to them during the last hour before KO is not a really a good idea.
The reason many have gone to meeting the HC at 90 minutes instead of 75 is because they start getting pretty keyed up after about 90 minutes to KO, so we try to get in and get out and leave 'em alone. Honestly, I'm not sure why we have these conferences any more. We don't care who they send out for the toss, and we always look to the sideline (HC) for penalty enforcements. If we need to address something with a representative on the field, that's gonna be the QB on offense; pick one on defense. They aren't forthcoming about special plays any more, so why bother? Equipment certification? Yeah, right. But, I suppose it does help humanize each other, and maybe can at least establish a professional rapport.

MJT

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2011, 12:37:11 AM »
I've heard there will be 2" stripes on the pants too.  Is that true?  I also hear that the NCAA may have officials put their positions on the front pocket like the NFL used to have.

Has it been determined if the black pants are mandatory for all of college football or just that one conference?   pi1eOn

Harry, there is a 2" white stripe on the pants, just like the ones we wore this season.

The placket will still be on the back, but it will be "part of the shirt" like it is in the NFL. It will not be sewn on as before. You can still sew a placket over it when you are working a different position.

Black pants will be mandatory in all of college football, not just a conference thing. Other companies will come out with a light weight pants for the heat, and we will still have the cold weather ones as we did this year. I personally like all the uniform changes.