Author Topic: Ineligible down field?  (Read 6164 times)

mazzamouth

Ineligible down field?
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:09:19 PM »
So a buddy of mine who is an assistant coach calls me during a game tonight...HS game Fed rules. team A scored a touchdown and on the try they are using the swinging gate... the center/snapper and the QB are in the middle of the field and the rest of the offense is lined up about 15 yrs  to the left ( typical swinging gate) what he tells me next is the snapper, snapped the ball to the QB then threw it to the snapper ( yes the snapper after snapping the ball went down field into the endzone to catch the try)

the referee's ruled it a successful try..

I was reading rule 7-5b exception 2.. and to me it seems like there was an Ineligible downfield?

Some one help me out..

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: Ineligible down field?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 08:16:15 AM »
Not enough information.

IF Team A was in a scrimmage kick formation, and IF the snapper had an eligible number, and IF he was on the end of the line, and IF he was not in the game under the numbering exception, then it appears it was a legal play.

mazzamouth

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 09:46:42 AM »
he was #6.. they were in a swinging gate not a scrimmage kick.. the team was going for the try.. and he was on the end of the line.. the rest of the line was down to his left about 10-15 yrds.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 10:39:22 AM »
#6 is an eligible number, and being on the end of the line is an eligible position.  As long as there were no more than 11 offensive players on the field, and at least 5, of a total of at least 7 who were on the line of scrimmage, were numbered between 50-79 the formation is legal.  The snapper is an eleigible receiver whose catch of a legal forward pass scores 2 points in a Try situation.

KFox1979

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 11:44:19 PM »
he was #6.. they were in a swinging gate not a scrimmage kick.. the team was going for the try.. and he was on the end of the line.. the rest of the line was down to his left about 10-15 yrds.

The swinging gate can be scrimmage kick formation so long as the person receiving the snap is 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 06:55:32 AM »
The swinging gate can be scrimmage kick formation so long as the person receiving the snap is 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

AND the holder has his knee on the ground  AND a player is no more than 3 yards behind him in a position to the kick the ball.

While a swinging gate COULD be a scrimmage kick formation, most are not. It defeats the purpose the purpose as the quick options are eliminated.

LarryW60

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 05:38:52 PM »
(I'm ignoring all the commentary about the numbering rule exception as it apparently doesn't apply in this case)

The rule you need to look at is 7-6-a.  As long as the player meets the requirements of 7-6-a, he is an eligible receiver.  Player on the end of the line? Check.  Player numbered 1-49 or 80-99? Check.  Score 2 points for A and kudos to the referee for getting it correct.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 05:42:29 PM by Fadamor »

mazzamouth

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 09:18:31 PM »
thanks guys... I knew I could get the answer here.. and In the book..LOL i read 7-6.. but it didnt seem right.. thanks again.

KFox1979

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 11:59:16 PM »
AND the holder has his knee on the ground  AND a player is no more than 3 yards behind him in a position to the kick the ball.

While a swinging gate COULD be a scrimmage kick formation, most are not. It defeats the purpose the purpose as the quick options are eliminated.

Oh.. Almost every time I've seen it run here they are in scrimmage kick formation.  I have seen a team run out of it twice.  Once to the kneeling player who stood up and threw a pass, and once to the kicker who ran it to the corner with the "holder" as lead blocker.

My main point is that "swinging gate" is not a defined formation and is not exclusive of scrimmage kick.