Author Topic: Block in the back  (Read 5154 times)

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36
Block in the back
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:54:59 PM »
Block in the Back:  How do we know if it is a block in the back?  Check to see how the 
player blocked falls to the ground.  If he falls “on his face”, it is a block in the back.  If he 
falls on his side & then rolls, it is not.  Rather than throwing the flag instantly, be patient 
& see how the blocked player falls.  It is important to “anticipate the play, not the call”.  
Especially on punt plays, repeat the color of the RT several times.  Then watch for RT 
players who are “chasing” KT players – in “chase mode”.  These players become 
“suspect”.  But again, do NOT anticipate the foul.  Let Your Mind Digest What Your Eyes 
Have Seen!!

http://ohsaafb.com/files/2015/10/2015_bulletin_6.pdf

Everyone here agree with the OHIO DOD??

Jim D

Re: Block in the back
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:59:57 PM »
I like it because I think too many legal blocks are flagged as blocks in the back.  It's only a block in the back if it's pretty much straight on from behind.  Often a player will make contact with the back side of a players shoulder which then turns the player and it looks like a block in the back.  If the Ohio "rule" helps people think before they throw, I'm all for it.  I had already copied it from the earlier post and was going to share it with my crew tonight.

PS - that Ohio memo had a few other good tips in it that I'm sharing tonight.

Offline bigjohn

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 01:02:11 PM »
JimD  the CREW in item one was a local game. Glad I wasn't there I would have been letting them know the rule in OH is 20YDL for OT.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 02:33:07 PM »

PS - that Ohio memo had a few other good tips in it that I'm sharing tonight.

Ditto!  Shared the Ohio info with my Wisconsin crew yesterday.  Some good stuff there!

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 08:52:32 AM »
So....be patient with the whistle, see the whole play, use all available information, don't anticipate the call...I'm struggling to think of how anyone would disagree with any of that.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 03:50:54 AM »
 I agree with watching how the player falls. I have seen way too many flags that probably were not true blocks in the back.

Offline edtude

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
  • Just a target for Running Backs and Tight Ends....
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 07:13:58 AM »
How a player falls is not a foolproof indication of whether or not you had a block in the back. If initial contact is in front and within the frame of the defender and he rotates such that the offensive player maintains contact throughout and then shove the defender to the ground he could very well face plant, but it is still a legal block. A lot of the youth programs are teaching their kids that if they see the block coming to quickly turn their back to make the contact appear illegal. I have had coaches tell me as much. There is no other way to determine if it is a block in the back than to see the complete play all the way from initial contact. It is damned hard to keep the little yellow hanky in your pocket but if you do not see the complete play you can not make the call. Just my two cents.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 07:33:06 AM »
There is no other way to determine if it is a block in the back than to see the complete play all the way from initial contact.
:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bigjohn

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 07:53:12 AM »
That is all I was getting at, many BIBs are called by assumption. If you don't see the entire play, don't call it.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 03:45:19 PM »
How a player falls is not a foolproof indication of whether or not you had a block in the back. If initial contact is in front and within the frame of the defender and he rotates such that the offensive player maintains contact throughout and then shove the defender to the ground he could very well face plant, but it is still a legal block. A lot of the youth programs are teaching their kids that if they see the block coming to quickly turn their back to make the contact appear illegal. I have had coaches tell me as much. There is no other way to determine if it is a block in the back than to see the complete play all the way from initial contact. It is darned hard to keep the little yellow hanky in your pocket but if you do not see the complete play you can not make the call. Just my two cents.
I agree that the direction a player falls is a foolproof indication of whether it was a IBB but it can help you make the right decision. Seeing the whole block is important.

Offline bigjohn

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 08:14:38 AM »
So everyone agrees that since this guy landed face down it was a BIB? \

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up6MdXK6iHU

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 08:28:46 AM »
So everyone agrees that since this guy landed face down it was a BIB? \

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up6MdXK6iHU

How a player falls is not a foolproof indication of whether or not you had a block in the back.

Not in this case, no.