Author Topic: Please don't ask.........  (Read 31016 times)

wvoref

Re: Please don't ask.........
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 12:25:29 PM »
I still have not gotten over the rule change in 2009, which stated that "The hash marks shall be marked so that they bisect the yard lines."  It was corrected for the 2010 season without so much as a mea culpa.
This one has always been my pet peeve. I was actually the one who pointed this out on the old now defunct NF Forum and some one else suggested/requested Ralph look into getting it corrected. What really bothered me wasn't the editorial mistake in the rule book but the fact that this misquote then became a test question on that years Part I or II. Made me suspicious that the test questions were prepared by a secretary looking through the rule book but without any football officiating knowledge. Have always questioned the validity and value of many of the questions that made these tests. That being said I do think the recent tests are much better. 

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »
Yo, 'Bama - There are usually at least one active official on the Editorial Committee and this year it was Steve Stearns from California. Speaking from my stint on that committee (back at the turn of the century) , i was constantly probed by the other committee members as to the best way of presenting issues / changes from an officiating perspective. There are several active officials that are in attendance either as voting members, manual committee members or guests and we usually speak up.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
Yo, WVOREF - Regressing back to my days on the Editorial Committee, here was the then process for writing the tests: (1) each EC member was asked to submit 25 questions about new rules or new ones about old rules ; (2) these would then be screened by all members of the EC -via facsimile machine - high-tech wasn't vogue; ( 3) those that were approved would be merged with a bank of aprox 500 prior used questions to make up Part I & Part II exams ; (4) rough drafts of both tests would be faxed to all members of EC for comments/concerns. We usually felt good of our finished product. I'm unsure if the current procedure (certainly not the communication methods) is the same.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »
Yo, 'Bama - There are usually at least one active official on the Editorial Committee and this year it was Steve Stearns from California. Speaking from my stint on that committee (back at the turn of the century) , i was constantly probed by the other committee members as to the best way of presenting issues / changes from an officiating perspective. There are several active officials that are in attendance either as voting members, manual committee members or guests and we usually speak up.
Steve officiates with my group. He is often the voice of reason during interpretation discussions. Hopefully he can keep the others in line.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 04:32:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing the process details Ralph.  The drawback to sharing that is without that knowledge people could say there are mistakes because there are no officials on the rules committee, the book is written/edited by someone who has never worked on the field, and the tests are written by some pencil pusher in Indianapolis who doesn't understand the rules.  Based on what you said there are experienced officials involved in every aspect of the process.  That's a little disappointing.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 08:03:45 AM »
.....we can always blame it on the proofreaders deadhorse: pi1eOn! Proofreaders of the 19Th century are responsible for an everyday saying that each & everyone of us use. Who knows the answer.... ???

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 08:06:50 AM »
"The proof is in the pudding" seems to obvious but worth a shot ... Lol

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 08:27:15 AM »
.....we can always blame it on the proofreaders deadhorse: pi1eOn! Proofreaders of the 19Th century are responsible for an everyday saying that each & everyone of us use. Who knows the answer.... ???
One of them is "mind your P's and Q's", which were easily confused when looking at mirror images, as proofreaders did in those days.

It's a little different with the electronics of today (except, maybe, in Maine).  ;D

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 08:31:02 AM »
"The proof is in the pudding" seems to obvious but worth a shot ... Lol
OK, JG, a good try but not the answer. You can try again, OK. (hints were provided) :)

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 08:43:18 AM »
One of them is "mind your P's and Q's", which were easily confused when looking at mirror images, as proofreaders did in those days.

It's a little different with the electronics of today (except, maybe, in Maine).  ;D
OK, AB, I didn't realize that ; but it's not the one I was thinking of as it is not  said often up here, OK. OK, were you the owner of one of the abandoned cars that we Mainers saw on our black & white rabbitt-eared TVs? ??? (hints were supplied)

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 08:44:38 AM »
Dot the i's and cross the t's?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 08:51:59 AM »
Dot the i's and cross the t's?
While both of yours and ABs may be oll korrect, they're not really said every day by each of us. (hint provided)

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »
The hints provided were : "oll Korrect" which was later shortened to "OK". Once the proofreaders of yesteryear finished their job, they would indicate to the typesetters by adding "oll korrect"  to the end of their work so "all correct " wouldn't be mistaken as part of the paragraft. This was later shortened to "OK", which is used by nearly all on a daily basis. In lieu of "OK", some Mainers may use "AYAH". Have a happy weekend, OK. :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:26:10 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2014, 12:01:02 PM »
The problem may simply be one of unreasonable expectations.  Not everything that "looks good on paper" turns out as expected.  As has been observed, "Although you can paint a wonderful picture of a beautiful women, you can't (allow me to clean this up) make love to it."

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2014, 09:08:58 AM »
I'll be going on the DL for a bit as tommorrow morning I get a new hip -hip,hip,hooray! Being Ole' Dell , my trusty computer, remains in my office ; so you guys may get the new rules press release before I do. It usually takes around 2 weeks from the meeting for the release, you may wish to start checking NFHS.org around then. Don't be disappointed/ angry/puzzled if some didn't pass that you favored or some did that you didn't ::) ??? :P . ; but remember that the NFHS focus is on player safety and many new rules reflect as such. Once I'm back we can discuss / argue/ cuss about what's hot and what's not.  ^talk PS : Was it just me, or did Payton not seem interested in going after the bad snap into the end zone last night nAnA???

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2014, 09:28:32 AM »
Was it just me, or did Payton not seem interested in going after the bad snap into the end zone last night nAnA???
It appeared to me the entire team seemed defeated and disinterested for most of the night. Seattle merely put an old fashioned whipping on them.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2014, 11:36:02 AM »
Don't be disappointed/ angry/puzzled if some didn't pass that you favored or some did that you didn't.

You don't know us very well, do you?

Best of luck on your surgery!

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »
Volleyball rule change release came out today on NFHS.org.

They may now have the school name or mascot on the sleeve(s)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2014, 12:20:49 PM »
Volleyball rule change release came out today on NFHS.org.

They may now have the school name or mascot on the sleeve(s)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They wear sleeves?  ;)
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2014, 02:45:30 PM »
I'll be going on the DL for a bit as tommorrow morning I get a new hip -hip,hip,hooray! Being Ole' Dell , my trusty computer, remains in my office ; so you guys may get the new rules press release before I do. It usually takes around 2 weeks from the meeting for the release, you may wish to start checking NFHS.org around then. Don't be disappointed/ angry/puzzled if some didn't pass that you favored or some did that you didn't ::) ??? :P . ; but remember that the NFHS focus is on player safety and many new rules reflect as such. Once I'm back we can discuss / argue/ cuss about what's hot and what's not.  ^talk PS : Was it just me, or did Payton not seem interested in going after the bad snap into the end zone last night nAnA???

Best of luck with the hip operation!  Having had 3 :!# :!#,(the first two lasting 15 and 18 years), I'm enough of an authority on these things that I can be very encouraging about recovery.  The key is to into the surgery as fit as possible - especially with leg strength.  With the first two I was up the next day, home in three days, and back to work in 2 weeks (admittedly using a cane for about 2 more weeks) with no PT.  The third took a little longer - with some home PT - given the severity of the degeneration.  But I didn't miss a football season!!! pHiNzuP pHiNzuP

Again, all the best!

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2014, 06:37:20 PM »
They wear sleeves?

Yeah, look up. ^flag

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014, 07:05:01 PM »
Yeah, look up. ^flag
Oh... you learn sumptin new ever day!  LOL
- Vince Lombardi

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »
Yeah, look up. ^flag

It's early in the year, but "Yeah, look up" is a leading candidate for Post of the Year.  Good one, NC.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2014, 08:04:51 AM »
Today's NFHS press release-   FIELD HOCKEY!!!!!!

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
Nothing wrong with "chicks with sticks"...